Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 AM

890 posts, read 2,786,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Hi there, this may be a really silly question, but I'm new to the workout routine so I'm looking for advice.

Our town recently built a community center with brand new workout equipment. I joined to lose some weight and to tone up. I'm a male, 5'10, 245. Since it is a community center, there are no personal trainers there so I'm kind of on my own trying to figure out how to do this the right way.

I alternate days - one day I do 20 minutes on the elliptical and lift, and the other days I just do 30 minutes on the elliptical. For weights I am only working the arms and abs (I'm fine with my legs so far). I use the various machines and am doing 2 sets of 10 reps. The weight is not too heavy, not too light - it's at the point where I'm getting to #8 on the second set I'm feeling it burn.

I just want to know if that is a sound routine, or if I should do more sets with less weight or vice versa.

Hope I gave enough information...thanks in advance!
Good for you, keep up the good work.

For losing weight,

1. Log / Write what time you eat, and what you eat for the next 2 weeks.
It can be simple as
0800 egg, bacon, pancake, oj, coffee
1000 fruit and nuts, diet soda
1200 chick sandwich, wheat bread, veggies, diet soda
1500 chips , diet soda
1900 steak, potato, broccoli, red wine

2. Looking at your food log,
- what healthier food can you substitute?
- what healthier meal can you prepare and eat?
- what times are the worse cravings that messes up your healthier diet? how do you address it?

3. cardio. 20 minutes of steady cardio is a good start.
There are way to improve.
3.1 increase by 5 minutes each week, until you reach 60minutes.
3.2 add intensity interval. 40 seconds normal pace, followed by 20 second fast pace on that elliptical--that fastest you can go. Do that for 25 minutes.
3.3 increase the amount of sessions you do, from 3 per week up to 5 per week.

4. weight. Log what you do--this is important for your self motivation.

I like 5x5. It's a good beginning.
Simple: 5 rep x 5 sets.

Pick at least 3 exercise to being with per session (day). Just do 5x5 using the smallest weight plate.

Then observe you DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)

If you're in pain and can't move the next day or two, you over did it.
Rest a week from that muscle, dial back, or just don't do something that hurt/painful.

If you are ok, increase the weight for that exercise next week, by 5%. If you're just starting out, go to the next increment of the maching be it 5 lbs or 1 lbs.

Eventually, you will reach your maximum weight where you're having difficulty finishing the last few reps in the 5x5. Completing it though--you can mark your calendar with PR = Personal Record!

From that point on, aim to increase by 5% to break your PR. You'll hit a plateau and that's ok because there are other exercises to hit PRs.

5. Sleep. This is the 3rd important part that is overlooked. Start logging when you sleep, and when you wake up. If you slept later, jot the reason why (be it watching tv, movie, computer, or sex)

Summary:
Eat right
Train hard
Rest easy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:35 AM

890 posts, read 2,786,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
No I said I would ADD legs to the routine, not just work legs. I'm already doing back and chest.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm down 3 lbs already (started diet/workout on Sunday). I know that this won't be the pace at which all pounds come off, but it's encouraging to see some change!
Usually, with consistent cardio and lifting, the weight loss attributes more from water loss especially when you've not been doing the exercises for a while (months).

But that's ok, it is progress. Just do not be disappointed when you hit the plateau on losing weight, it is not the only indicator for positive progress in your health and fitness.

Other measurable progress are:
1. Body size. You may not lose weight, but the proportion of your body (body fat vs lean body mass / muscle).

2. Strength, amount you can lift

3. Endurance, length of time you can carry that resistance

I would also suggest learning about core exercises.
Basically,
Body Squats
Push Ups
Pull Ups
and maybe Dips

That should tell you how many you can do without passing out or giving up.
Write those that numbers in your log.
Then every month or three, do them again and see how much you progress.

As far as what body part to work on, do one body part a week. Ex
Mon: bicpes, triceps, shoulders
Wed: chest, pecs, abs, back
Fri: quads, hams, calf

Try different exercises too and if it's something "you hate" learn to love it will give you progress.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
Then observe you DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)

If you're in pain and can't move the next day or two, you over did it.
Rest a week from that muscle, dial back, or just don't do something that hurt/painful.
Besides the fact that I didn't know they had an acronym for it, some muscle soreness is a good thing. The process of building muscle includes tearing muscle. If you are doing it correctly, you will have some mild muscle soreness. As long as it is not accompanied by blood in the urine (dark brown or black colored), or if the pain is so bad you can't move at all, you should be fine. Many people new to working a specific muscle group can experience muscle soreness and stiffness that makes it uncomfortable to move, but it goes away in a day or two, and is making your muscles stronger.

Chances are, if you do not feel SOME stress in your muscles (either during or afterwards); you are likely not going to reap much of a benefit from working out. This stress can come in the form of muscle soreness the day or so after a workout, or the proverbial "pump" during the workout (where you feel like the muscle is so full of blood that it may pop).

In many cases of muscle soreness, it helps to re-work those same muscles when they are sore - just don't lift heavy again. For instance, after I do a day of heavy squats or deadlifts, it helps me recover to do an easy run or bike ride the next day. That forces lots of fresh blood through the same muscles that are repairing themselves, while flushing out the chemicals and debris created by the repair process. It can help to speed the recovery process. Muscle soreness in the chest or arms? Go for a swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness