Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 PM

610 posts, read 3,017,310 times

Advertisements

In this day and age where everyone is trying to lose weight, I am trying to gain about 15-20 pounds. I weight 170 and I'm 5'11.

I know many people may say, if you want to gain weight just eat a bunch of pizza, beer, junk etc. I really don't want to gain 20 pounds of pure fat. I would like to gain a little bit of muscle too.

With that being said, a lot of weight-gain diets focus on eating a lot of carbs. Although I don't mind doing it, is there a way to gain weight without eating carbs? I am getting older and I don't want to end up with diabetes from eating tons of carbs. I heard carbs aren't that good for you anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,867,742 times
Four words: High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,528 times
if you wana gain your weight without eating much food,then you should try some food supplements for gaining weight.....

Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 AM

10 posts, read 19,092 times
Protein. If you want muscle, you need to be eating enough protein. A commonly tossed-around figure is 1.5g/kg of bodyweight.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:33 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,492,287 times
Go get "Mass Made Simple" by Dan John, it's a workout routine that is designed to help you gain 15+ lbs.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM

632 posts, read 1,032,050 times
Get the book "Power Eating" by Kleiner. Its one of the best and most complete books Ive found for eating to put on mass/weight.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,373,095 times
Just eat real food.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,663,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
In this day and age where everyone is trying to lose weight, I am trying to gain about 15-20 pounds. I weight 170 and I'm 5'11.

I know many people may say, if you want to gain weight just eat a bunch of pizza, beer, junk etc. I really don't want to gain 20 pounds of pure fat. I would like to gain a little bit of muscle too.

With that being said, a lot of weight-gain diets focus on eating a lot of carbs. Although I don't mind doing it, is there a way to gain weight without eating carbs? I am getting older and I don't want to end up with diabetes from eating tons of carbs. I heard carbs aren't that good for you anyway.
I'm surprised you are trying to gain weight. That's not a bad weight for how tall you are.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,693,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post

You want to gain 15-20 pounds but you don't want it to be pure fat. Keep in mind that excess calories are stored as fat regardless of what type of calories you consume. That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat healthy, but it means the only way you can gain 15-20 pounds without it being fat is to put on muscle. You will need to lift weights seriously to do that. The only changes to your diet I would make are to make sure you eat at least 3 meals a day including breakfast and never go hungry. Carry protein bars with you and eat one whenever you get hungry. Drink skim milk and eat Greek yogurt. Get some high protein food in your body before you go to bed. You don't want to add the weight too quickly or it will be fat. Your waist will tell you if you are getting fat.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM

458 posts, read 1,250,911 times
Carb Sources: Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Potatoes, Oats, Whole What Pasta

Protein Sources: Canned Salmon or Tuna, Eggs, Milk, Whey, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, Peanut Butter, Meats and Fish

Start off with 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Then adjust your carb intake so you are 500 calories above your maintenance. You can calculate your maintenance from a number of sources on the internet. Don't worry about fat sources for now.

Don't forget to eat a lot of veggies and leafy greens.

And if you want the weight gain to become muscle you need to do resistance training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness