Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:24 PM

199 posts, read 591,910 times

Advertisements

I bought a punching bag. It includes gloves along with the bag and stand, so I'm ready to go.

Any cool instructional vids? Tae-Bo? lol.

I just bought it on a lark. It will get my frustrations out. Some kicking, some punching, it's all good.

It's not very heavy, as it's an inflatable bag attached to a flexible pole, with a base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Is it one of these -

Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 PM

Yeah, it does. I'm also considering this to "train" with kicks:

Amazon.com: Men's Inflatable Punching Bag

Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,684 times
I've boxed for several years. Title boxing has some good dvds on the basics, if you want proper technique. I wasn't crazy about Freddie Roach's dvds, but the other ones (the basic title boxing series) looks good.

Come to think of it, Youtube also has some good basic instructionals. Start with stances and footwork, then move to the jab and cross, then add the rest.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,273 times
Back in the day, I used to take karate. It was training in several martial arts. Lots of exercise is needed. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use the Tai Bo, I have seen it. You got to practice a lot of kicking to get the basic kicks down, legs gotta be strong. I always had trouble with ducking from a punch..but it is a good thing to use. You gotta be in real good shape to kick box, wish I still had the motivation to do it.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 PM

I did some "kickboxing" the other day for 15-30 minutes. I was pretty sore for a couple of days after.

My kicks were very awkward. I almost fell a few times. You have to be strong, flexible and coordinated!

The punches were easy, although it's easy to miss with that thing bobbing back and forth.

Good times.

I'm going to do some shadow boxing too. That should burn a ton of calories.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Back in the day, I used to take karate. It was training in several martial arts. Lots of exercise is needed. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use the Tai Bo, I have seen it. You got to practice a lot of kicking to get the basic kicks down, legs gotta be strong. I always had trouble with ducking from a punch..but it is a good thing to use. You gotta be in real good shape to kick box, wish I still had the motivation to do it.
Yes, lots of exercise is needed for martial arts. I did both Tae Kwon Do and Karate. They are excellent workouts.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Default Tae Bo

Its funny you guys mentioned Tae Bo. Ive never been a fan of any of the so called "cardio Karate" stuff because I am a strict traditionalist when it comes to my martial arts, but that Billy Blanks dude made millions off of Tae Bo.

He started in a small school around the corner from my Sherman Oaks home then moved a couple blocks away into a HUUUUUGGGGE place. I would see like 200 people in there all doing tae bo when Billy was teaching and I guess it worked great for them. Lots of the folks would come into Starbucks a few doors down either before or after class and lot of them were in darn good shape.

So, it apparently works as long as you keep the intensity up. But I am totally against buying any tapes/dvds now for anything (except P90x) because you can find pretty much all you need on YouTube.

Check out Your Top Source For Free Boxing Training Advice for some good stuff on bag training.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,007 times
Guys do you think instructional kickboxing videos is a good as attending actual [url=http://www.ilovekickboxing.com/]kickboxing classes[/url]?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:51 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
I do train in kickboxing and like Lao said, it's tough but well worth it. I have a good kickboxing instructor who's an amateur MMA fighter so I learn both MMA and kickboxing. I've been doing it for a couple years with classes on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I can roundhouse kick someone's head off . Here's an example of the Tornado Kick we're learning
Taekwondo Tornado Kick Tutorial (Kwonkicker) - YouTube :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness