Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 12:03 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,426 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think that my cardio routine is good enough to stay in shape and burn some calories?

Here is my normal routine at the gym:

1. 30 minutes on treadmill with speed between 7.0 to 7.5 with 0 incline all running.

2. Then I will walk on treadmill for about 10 minutes at 3.8 to 4.0 speed with 0 incline.

3. Then I will start running again for another 10-12 minutes at 7.0.

4. Then walk for the last 10 minutes and cool down at 3.8 speed.

5. Then I run some laps around the gym track. I usually try to run for about 20 to 25 minutes at a nice steady pace. Nothing too stressful.

6. Then I get on the step machine for about 25 minutes on a level 5 or 6 or really whatever I feel like at the time. This thing wears my butt out!

7. Then after all of that I hit the weights for about 30 - 45 mintues.

Would you say that my cardio is good enough to keep me in shape and possibly help burn a lot of calories?

I'm a male 5'7 about 150 lbs. I do this entire routine 4 to 5 days out of the week. Sometimes just 3 days if I am slack.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,432,497 times
You're doing 2 hrs of cardio a day?? That's way too much.

BTW, I'm 5'4" and hit the gym 5 days a week. You weigh only 8lbs more than me..You sound very, very thin..

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You're doing 2 hrs of cardio a day?? That's way too much.

BTW, I'm 5'4" and hit the gym 5 days a week. You weigh only 8lbs more than me..You sound very, very thin..
I'm actually probably closer to 155 to 160. It fluctuates a good bit with me. But I don't think that I am REAL skinny. I have some bulk to me and I am by no means just skin and bones. I have some tone/muscle to me and believe that I look healthy.

Reason that I am doing so much is because I don't work. I do it to wear myself out so that I can sleep at night. If I don't do all of this I typically can't sleep very well. I also do it just to keep in shape and out of boredom.

If I get a job again this routine will most likely fall by the waist-side. LOL!

Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Will it burn calories? Yes, everything burns calories.
Will it keep you in shape? depends. Mostly on how much you eat! Your running/walk burns around 800 calories. If afterwards you eat a 2000 calorie milkshake, then it's kinda useless . Do you want to be in shape to run marathons? Then you aren't doing enough. See it depends.

Likewise, if you were a marathoner, or ultras, you're not very skinny at all lol. You outweigh me by anywhere from 1 to 6 lbs (per your variance), but I've got 5" on you.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Will it burn calories? Yes, everything burns calories.
Will it keep you in shape? depends. Mostly on how much you eat! Your running/walk burns around 800 calories. If afterwards you eat a 2000 calorie milkshake, then it's kinda useless . Do you want to be in shape to run marathons? Then you aren't doing enough. See it depends.

Likewise, if you were a marathoner, or ultras, you're not very skinny at all lol. You outweigh me by anywhere from 1 to 6 lbs (per your variance), but I've got 5" on you.
Hey man. I eat like any normal person. I don't go work out and then get a milkshake or anything like that. In fact, I don't eat much that is sweet. I don't want to run marathons.

I am not a marathoner or ultras (whatever that is). Not very skinny at all? Are you serious? So you think that with my height at 5'7 and weighing about 155 is fat? or overweight? or borderline? I don't think I'm fat nor do I look fat. I def don't have a six pack or anything...so I'm not exactly perfectly lean/toned, but I feel like I look and feel fine in regards to being skinny or not skinny. I'm a good normal size for my frame. But thanks for your opinion.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I will restrict my comments solely to one element on your workout schedule (which I think is awesome, BTW).

You need to put the treadmill at 1.5% incline at least, in order to replicate running on the road. Wind resistence in itself is negated on a treadmill, so you want to put your treadmill at 1.5% incline to replicate level running outdoors.

Please don't put it at a much higher incline without being accustomed to it or you will get shin splints.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
I am not a marathoner or ultras (whatever that is). Not very skinny at all? Are you serious? So you think that with my height at 5'7 and weighing about 155 is fat? or overweight? or borderline? I don't think I'm fat nor do I look fat. I def don't have a six pack or anything...so I'm not exactly perfectly lean/toned, but I feel like I look and feel fine in regards to being skinny or not skinny. I'm a good normal size for my frame. But thanks for your opinion.
Ultramarathons are races from 50 to 200 miles.

No your not "very skinny". You are normal. Your first reply said he though "You sound very, very thin..".
Although at 160, you would be medically overweight. For 67", normal weight would be 118-159lbs. But 1lb is only a pint of water, so it's not worth splitting hairs over.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness