Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
For me, I don't lose with a deficit until I get down around 1000 calories. My body just adjusts my metabolism. Catch 22 for me because my body can't adjust my metabolism up (I'm hypothyroid so I have a set maximum) if I over eat but can adjust it down when I try to lose. I think once I get around 1000 calories, my body is producing zero thyroid hormone and I'm just operating on the medication I take. I'm partially functioning with my body providing about 25% of the thyroid hormone I need.

I'll have to disagree about stavation mode. It seems the less I eat, the stronger my body holds on to what it has AND the faster it gains once I resume normal eating. I can go from a 1000 calorie a day diet up to 2000 calories a day (less than maintenance according to the calculators) and I will gain for several days before my metabolism readjusts.
Ivory have you had your thyroid checked? I have Hashimoto's and am on medication for it. I had noticed I was gaining weight and I was not doing anything differently. I was eating right and doing my normal exercise routine which burns a lot of calories.
I went to an endocrinologist and he asked me if I was taking iron. I had just started supplementing because I also borderline anemic. The iron apparently was canceling out my thyroid medication. Once I dropped the iron 4 lbs just dropped off of me almost over night. I am back to normal.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Do some more research. Starvation mode does not take effect until you are ... actually starving. Fat people don't go into starvation mode. The RATE at which you lose per unit of calorie deficit can go down though.
I never knew that.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,740,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Oh, well your profile information said something different the other day. It's ok, I won't tell anyone. Clever, you are.
No, the only thing recent I changed about my profile was my blog, nice try though

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Maybe starvation is too strong of a word. But you need calories to burn calories. If your body does not think it is getting the right amount it will slow down the metabolism down. 1000 calories is not enough for healthy weight loss especially if you are exercising as well.
your body doesnt have that capacity. your body only knows how to operate the functions its supposed to operate. starvation mode, need calories to burn calories, etc. is bs. the only way your body is going to slow down its metabolism is if you are performing less activity. people like to dream up complicated scenarios of why they are having a more difficult time than others losing weight. its just excuses. its all very simple, you eat less and you will lose the weight.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Drinking underage? Breaking the law? What would God say about that? I'm telling!
Alcohol is ALWAYS in the house and my parents dont care if I drink or not. Being stressed drives me to drink and I drink when I am bored. My guy is trying to get me into smoking but I never would smoke and never did not even once. He also started bringing me Krispy kreme doughnuts every week and I cant say no to that. We sit and have a couple of drinks. Rum is my favorite and some vodka (flavored).

Old 11-27-2011, 03:20 PM

When people say try "different" food what else is there to try? Besides junk food and ethnic food and vegetarian (expensive and gross) So what else is there?

Old 11-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
When people say try "different" food what else is there to try? Besides junk food and ethnic food and vegetarian (expensive and gross) So what else is there?
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

i dont have a problem with underage drinking. but you would do yourself a favor if you vomit after a night of drinking and knock back a liter of water before hitting the sack.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

i dont have a problem with underage drinking. but you would do yourself a favor if you vomit after a night of drinking and knock back a liter of water before hitting the sack.
LOL peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.. Isn't that kids food?

I never drink enough to get sick or vomit. I haven't thrown up since I was a child.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
LOL peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.. Isn't that kids food?

I never drink enough to get sick or vomit. I haven't thrown up since I was a child.
it certainly is great kids food, but its also great adult food. id like to point out the irony of you (who is about 150lbs overweight) laughing at the food that i eat almost daily.

im not saying that the alcohol should cause you to throw up. but if you force yourself to vomit then you can remove a lot of excess calories. then by drinking the water you can prevent any kind of dehydration that could cause a headache the next morning.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Alcohol is ALWAYS in the house and my parents dont care if I drink or not. Being stressed drives me to drink and I drink when I am bored. My guy is trying to get me into smoking but I never would smoke and never did not even once. He also started bringing me Krispy kreme doughnuts every week and I cant say no to that. We sit and have a couple of drinks. Rum is my favorite and some vodka (flavored).
Bolded mine, for emphasis.

So - you're 18 years old, live with mommy, collect food stamps which mommy uses to buy junk food for her family. You're morbidly obese with high blood pressure. You make excuses to drink alcohol (being stressed *drives me* to drink and I drink when I am bored)..and you "can't say no" to Krispy Kreme donuts.

You also have no idea, at age 18, with internet access, what kind of food is healthy other than vegetarian (which is gross) and junk food. Obviously, you have no idea what vegetarian food IS...since if you did, you would know that some of it is VERY fattening. You think peanutbutter and jelly is exclusively for children, and you think 50 is "old."

So basically, you are totally clueless, and have the mind, self-control, attitude, and emotional maturity, of a 12-year-old.

Honestly - I'm not sure why you even bother to post here, unless it's to get attention you're not getting from your mother. You clearly don't want help, you're not ready for help, and when help is offered, you reject it outright and make excuses.

Stay fat. Stay unhealthy. Drink, eat Krispy Kremes. Enjoy whatever is left of your life, and stop complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness