Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate lifting weights. I love cardio but what others are telling me is that its a must to lose the cellulite and the jiggly arms and thighs. I lost 50 pounds but everything still jiggles. Most peopl say stick with something you love,and that's what I did,but I ain't happy with the results.

Now,I still have a high body fat level at 31%.At 180 pounds I feel if I lift weights I'm still going to be a big girl,albeit a less jiggly one.

Do I just keep going with the weights loss and cardio only,get down to 140 and 24% body fat and hope I still won't jiggle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 PM

410 posts, read 743,079 times
I would stick with the cardio and just increase the intensity of your workout until you are at your goal weight, and then consider adding some strength training at that point if you still aren't satisfied. I think it's a misconception that you can't tone up with cardio workouts.

I would also recommend trying group workout classes. I have more success in that type of setting, and many of them incorporate both cardio and strength training.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
I would say get down to 20-24% bodyfat and see how you feel about the way you look then.

Resistance training might help you get to that % faster, but it's not a *requirement*. The only "ideal" workout plan for YOU is the one you'll stick with and those tend to be the ones you enjoy.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
No, no, no. Add strength training NOW. You will burn off body fat at a much higher rate as the increase in muscle mass will also mean an increased metabolism. Furthermore by increasing mass while decreasing fat you have a smaller amount of floppy, jiggly body parts such as your arms. You MUST increase muscle mass to decrease the jiggle. That or plastic surgery are your 2 options.

I am absolutely, positively right that NOW is the time for you to add weight lifting and resistance training to your repertoire. At least do it a few days a week. Unless you are in your 20s and have never been obese, cardio alone will NOT be sufficient.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:00 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Utilize your body weight, I refuse to recommend weight lifting over your natural bodyweights. Within the Marine Corps we exploit our natural body weight as well conventional gym weights. I feel equally burned out if not worse with bodyweight exercise. I am not oppose to the GYM 100% serves a good purpose. Check out unconventional methods, you will be amazed with your transformation.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
No, no, no. Add strength training NOW. You will burn off body fat at a much higher rate as the increase in muscle mass will also mean an increased metabolism. Furthermore by increasing mass while decreasing fat you have a smaller amount of floppy, jiggly body parts such as your arms. You MUST increase muscle mass to decrease the jiggle. That or plastic surgery are your 2 options.

I am absolutely, positively right that NOW is the time for you to add weight lifting and resistance training to your repertoire. At least do it a few days a week. Unless you are in your 20s and have never been obese, cardio alone will NOT be sufficient.
Thanks for the advice.
The thing is,if I get down to 24% body fat while keeping my muscle mass of about 126 pounds,I would still be a big girl at 165 pounds.
I used Cordianet.com for the calculations
I

Last edited by jerseygal4u; 11-02-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
When you lose weight though it takes muscle and fat. You can try to preserve what you have with strength training but it may not stay on. I think if you are going to stay on the bigger side I would start lifting now. If you wanted to go thinner and then start lifting at the end of your loss shoot for 15 pounds thinner than your original goal. When you increase your food to maintain, that 15 pound buffer should cover you for your muscle and fat gains while keeping you in the goal weight zone.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I would stick with the cardio and just increase the intensity of your workout until you are at your goal weight, and then consider adding some strength training at that point if you still aren't satisfied. I think it's a misconception that you can't tone up with cardio workouts.

I would also recommend trying group workout classes. I have more success in that type of setting, and many of them incorporate both cardio and strength training.
I was thinking that you can tone up with some cardio machines.
I thoink the elliptical can tone if you add increased resistance and up the incline.
But the treadmill,I don't think so.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I was thinking that you can tone up with some cardio machines.
I thoink the elliptical can tone if you add increased resistance and up the incline.
But the treadmill,I don't think so.
One of those rowing machines?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 AM

155 posts, read 252,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post

I totally agree with this. OP, this ^ is what you need to do.

Your workouts should include BOTH cardio and strength training. Do your cardio at the start of your workout, then switch to strength training for the second half. This can all be done in an hour so dont worry about having to spend too much time in the gym. 20-25 minutes of cardio then 30-35 minutes of weight training and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness