Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Lao, I think your results are atypical. I'd much rather have Nova planning on it taking him 24 mos and have it happen in less, as opposed to telling him it should happen in 6 mos and having it take significantly longer. Right?
Slower is better but with that program that is how long it took for me. It may or may not happen that fast for him, but those were definitely the results I achieved on it. I really just wanted him to know that it IS a muscle building program.

I think he CAN achieve 10 pounds of muscle in 6 months with no problem on this plan, providing he follows the routine AND the nutrition plan.

I was in no hurry but as I followed the plan to a "T" that was what happened to me in a short period of time. I still incorporate 1 and sometimes 2 days of whole body HIT into my weekly workout but because I dont want to sacrifice speed (as a martial artist) I have no plans on getting bigger so I wont do more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times
So I was late to my Karate class and decided to go the gym instead..I started on my new routine of Deadlifts , sqauats and chest press/flies. I went light and focused on form .
Do you think doing this one day a week is enough? I will weight train more but as far as these specific areas.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
As you go heavier, I would suggest splitting up squats and deads, at least.

Perhaps do squats/chest one day and deads/overhead press the other day? Throw in some pull-ups and core stuff while you're at it.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Do you think doing this one day a week is enough? I will weight train more but as far as these specific areas.
One day a week is probably worse than doing nothing at all. You will be sore every time you lift and you won't make any gains.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Slower is better but with that program that is how long it took for me. It may or may not happen that fast for him, but those were definitely the results I achieved on it. I really just wanted him to know that it IS a muscle building program.

I think he CAN achieve 10 pounds of muscle in 6 months with no problem on this plan, providing he follows the routine AND the nutrition plan.

I was in no hurry but as I followed the plan to a "T" that was what happened to me in a short period of time. I still incorporate 1 and sometimes 2 days of whole body HIT into my weekly workout but because I dont want to sacrifice speed (as a martial artist) I have no plans on getting bigger so I wont do more.
If people could build 10 lbs of muscle every 6 months that means 20 lbs of muscle/year, How do you propose to do this without steroids?

Or did Mr O. Jay cutler just take his steroids for fun? after what? 15 years in the gym he could have gained 300 lbs of muscle before steroids, how much did the steroids add? he should then weigh in on 500 lbs~ but he only weighs 270, and thats after like a decade of steroids.

He can certainly add 10 lbs bw in 6 months, but only 2 of those lbs will be muscle, the rest would be mostly water and then some fat.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:21 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
check out something like a HIT program as someone said earlier. Read a bit on Mike Mentzer/Dorian Yates type program just add more than one set!!! I do a modified Mentzer type program it really is working. The key is and it took me awhile to figure this simple statement out, if your getting stronger your building muscle. I was doing a high volume training program before HIT and let me say I wasted alot of time!!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times
I read some about Mentzer last night and it was said the way it ended for him..He did have good things to say about HIT though and looks like he improved it from his teacher the guy who started i t . I also noticed he seemed to think longer rest periods were important as long as training was intense.
Seems that it focuses on slow movements and form but am unclear as to how many sets/reps to do.
I read somewhere that you should struggle on the 6 rep so I am aiming for 7-8 reps and maybe 2 sets?
Steven if you could share your program i would appreciate it. How does this sound
Mon-Deads, chest, shoulders,back
Weds-squat, biceps, triceps
Fri-deads, chest, shoulders,back
Problem i dont want to add a 4th day of weights so i need to modify this to do bodypart more than once a week.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:56 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
If people could build 10 lbs of muscle every 6 months that means 20 lbs of muscle/year, How do you propose to do this without steroids?

Or did Mr O. Jay cutler just take his steroids for fun? after what? 15 years in the gym he could have gained 300 lbs of muscle before steroids, how much did the steroids add? he should then weigh in on 500 lbs~ but he only weighs 270, and thats after like a decade of steroids.

He can certainly add 10 lbs bw in 6 months, but only 2 of those lbs will be muscle, the rest would be mostly water and then some fat.
sorry but this is retarded. A person gaining their first 10-20lbs of weightlifting muscles is like someone weighing 500 lbs?? Come on.

You should be able to get your first 10 lbs in a month or two if you go about it the right way. The first 10 lbs should come somewhat easy, after that the going gets slower. If you only gain 2 pounds of muscle in 6 months you are doing something drastically wrong.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
sorry but this is retarded. A person gaining their first 10-20lbs of weightlifting muscles is like someone weighing 500 lbs?? Come on.

You should be able to get your first 10 lbs in a month or two if you go about it the right way. The first 10 lbs should come somewhat easy, after that the going gets slower. If you only gain 2 pounds of muscle in 6 months you are doing something drastically wrong.
That initial weight is water binding in to the muscles, much like the extra water put in when taking creatine monohydrate.
The bodys ability to sythesize protein is greatly limited, and the protein used for musclebuilding has to compete with the synthesis of other proteins like new enzymes etc for use of already existing enzymes.
And the initial strenghboost is mostly due to learning and getting better techniquewise at lifting.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
yeah, I don't think so. Any studies to back any of this stuff up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness