Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:24 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I am surrounded by obesity/weight issues/body image issues, etc. I personally know at least a dozen folks who have had gastric bypass/Lap band in the past decade. One of those is my own husband.

There is a huge component many of us are not thinking about - and that is the emotional one. When people are hurting, a great many of them turn to food for comfort. It is legal and cheap and available everywhere. The "garbage" food is easy and convenient. For many folks, especially the poor working class, reality is that they are completely overwhelmed. There isn't enough time in the day between work/family/activities/chores, so it is much easier to pick up fast food or junk/convenience foods and eat unhealthily/on the run. I know of several people my own age who really have no clue how to cook - they were raised on packaged "fake" foods and are now seeing the health consequences of this. People also aren't getting enough sleep - which has the effect of interfering with weight loss as well (this is a BIGGIE for me, my worst weight issues were when I had babies who woke frequently in the night).

As far as the Too Fat for 15, I feel we are now seeing a "second generation" if you will - children who may not have the same emotional issues as their parents but, since they are raised in a household full of junk and convenience foods, then they are generally not inclined to go make a salad. My husband's work partner was almost 30 years old until he tried a carrot (a lower middle class upbringing where most foods were bought at the corner store, no fresh veggies or fruit ever). Then these children do get overweight and have to deal with the emotional ramifications of that, which causes them to want to eat even more in many cases. It is a vicious, vicious cycle and in many ways resembles outright addiction in the way that a person needs to "admit they have a problem" and then take steps to rectify it before the healing can begin. This is why you hear the excuses, they are just simply in denial. The Catch-22 is that you cannot give up food when your life becomes unmanageable like you can give up alcohol/drugs/gambling/spending, etc.

Lastly, another component is the myth that many overweight folks cling to - the fact that, if they somehow manage to lose weight, then life will be so wonderful. This was my husband. He had the gastric bypass, lost 140 lb so far. He still is eating junk, just in very small amounts. He is looking great but miserable emotionally, I can't even describe it. Just food for thought for all of us.

Lest you think I have all these answers and am so very smart at this weight and health stuff, I personally exercise vigorously at least six hours per week on a cross-training type of regimen and still cannot get my body into the "normal" BMI in spite of drinking obscene amounts of water, eating low-carb, and logging every single bite that crosses my lips. So many days I want to throw up my hands and quit but my children need a positive role model who is active and healthy - at least I am hopefully getting that part right
You really summed up the issue very well. Food addiction is like any other addiction. I've heard food addiction is even more difficult to get over because it's like telling an alcoholic that normally drinks a liter of Vodka every day that now they have to only drink 4oz. of wine per day.

I think that today there are also more fast food restaurants everywhere, and more junk food. When I was a kid in the '70s, no one I knew ate fast food all the time, and there was no McDonalds near where we lived. Fast food was an odd "treat" on a Saturday afternoon when we were out running errands with our mother or grandparents. My mom always prepared healthy meals and when we were old enough, she let us help so we learned to cook. Now I do the same thing with my own kids. But I've known people not much younger than me who have absolutely no clue how to cook or prepare a meal. Maybe they should start mandatory cooking classes in high school?

But anyway, good for you for trying so hard, especially for your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 03:56 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
But I've known people not much younger than me who have absolutely no clue how to cook or prepare a meal. Maybe they should start mandatory cooking classes in high school?

But anyway, good for you for trying so hard, especially for your kids.
I disagree about starting cooking classes in high school. Why put yet another responsibility on the school system? Why don't parents actually teach their children how to cook? Or, depending on the family, they could learn together, since nowadays the parents won't know how to cook either.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
I can't speak for anyone else's school but my middle school had a Home Ec style class that started off with the basics of cooking, and then the high school had at least four "Gourmet" classes (Which were really not a lot more than mid-to-intermediate beginner's classes... I was essentially a TA for one as a junior/senior during two of my study halls, since I was constantly hanging out in the home ec room instead of whatever my assigned room was. Some of these people couldn't even hack it at that level. It was... disappointing.)

Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I disagree about starting cooking classes in high school. Why put yet another responsibility on the school system? Why don't parents actually teach their children how to cook? Or, depending on the family, they could learn together, since nowadays the parents won't know how to cook either.
Uh... because obviously parents aren't taking the responsibility. If we started teaching teenagers how to cook, maybe we'd put a dent in the obesity problem which in turn could help keep down medical insurance costs for everyone.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Uh... because obviously parents aren't taking the responsibility. If we started teaching teenagers how to cook, maybe we'd put a dent in the obesity problem which in turn could help keep down medical insurance costs for everyone.
Bring back home ec!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM

410 posts, read 743,079 times
Quote:
Isn't the whole purpose of school to prepare children for adulthood? I remember having to take health classes and p.e. so we knew how our bodies worked and how to take care of them. To me, cooking is just an extension of that.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM

Uh......apparently, your school systems are better than ours. In my state, we are cutting programs left and right. Sports, PE, Home Ec, you name it. The schools cut Drivers Ed decades ago. So, while "preparing children for adulthood" sounds good, in reality that isn't happening, is it?

And when I was growing up, "preparing children for adulthood" was mainly the parent's job, and the school assisted with that. It seems by the responses to my post, people expect the responsibility to fall on the school? No one even addressed the fact that it should be the parent's job. Sad.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM

410 posts, read 743,079 times
Quote:
Uh......apparently, your school systems are better than ours. In my state, we are cutting programs left and right. Sports, PE, Home Ec, you name it. The schools cut Drivers Ed decades ago. So, while "preparing children for adulthood" sounds good, in reality that isn't happening, is it?

And when I was growing up, "preparing children for adulthood" was mainly the parent's job, and the school assisted with that. It seems by the responses to my post, people expect the responsibility to fall on the school? No one even addressed the fact that it should be the parent's job. Sad.
I don't think the responsibilities should fall solely on the school, but I think something could be gained from those types of classes. To be honest I would have gotten more out of cooking classes than algebra classes in school (not to say that we shouldn't teach math).

I believe parents should participate more in teaching their children necessary life skills, and I also believe they should be better advocates for their children. If schools aren't preparing children effectively, then parents should do something about it. Most children spend more time at school then they do at home. Parents should make sure their time at school is benefiting them.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

No, I agree that it SHOULD be the parents' job. I'm a parent and consider it my job, but then I was raised on healthy food, college educated, taught to cook by my mother, and taught that exercise was good. I'm just facing reality. What, you think you're going to suddenly get obese parents to suddenly be responsible and teach their children to eat healthy?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
No, I agree that it SHOULD be the parents' job. I'm a parent and consider it my job, but then I was raised on healthy food, college educated, taught to cook by my mother, and taught that exercise was good. I'm just facing reality. What, you think you're going to suddenly get obese parents to suddenly be responsible and teach their children to eat healthy?
And reality is that the schools are not doing it either. And with the schools making budget cuts (at least where I live), it doesn't look like it's going to happen. What, you think that schools are going to include cooking classes to the curriculum when they can't afford teachers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness