Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 01:58 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,027,302 times

Advertisements

Jumping rope is a great cardio workout (but not in a steady-state sort of way), which can tire you out in a very short time. It's not something I see done very much at the gym.

Does anyone here jump rope? What are your typical routines?

Another thing, would you consider this High-Intensity Interval Training? My thoughts on why it can be considered HIIT is that it's very hard to jump for 1-2 + minutes straight (for me at least, your mileage may vary). The logic being that if something is so strenuous that you can't perform it for a very long time (ie sprints), it's "intense" and can only be done in interval form. Yes, I know boxers/MMA fighters can jump rope for several minutes on end, but they're elite athletes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 02:02 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,371,781 times
Used to. I would do 2-5 minutes [cross overs and double unders], 1-2 minute breaks for five sets. I broke my jump rope and never bought a new one

I believe HIIT is considered both cardio and strength training. Jump rope requires strength, but not the same described in a typical HIIT routine.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:07 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,977,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Does anyone here jump rope? What are your typical routines?
I love jumping rope. It is my second favorite cardio workout next to trail/beach running. Its great because you can do it in a park, your backyard or in a room in your house providing the ceilings are high enough.

A typical rope workout for me is 500 - 1000 double unders. I'll switch to high knee lifts, singles, crossovers or one legged hops based on how tired I get, but for the most part, I still try to get the 500-1000 double unders in. I can usually knock out about 200 double unders before messing up. After that, I can complete the rest in sets of 75 or 100.

What I also like about it is its WAAAAY lower impact than running. People who dont know how to skip rope (its NOT how you skipped rope as a kid) mistakenly think its high impact but it is NOT!!! Its actually my GO-TO workout if Im battling some injury because it IS low impact (providing I am not doing double unders) I can still get an intense cardio workout without pounding the joints.

Here is Buddy Lee demonstrating the proper way to skip rope and as you can see, its VERY low impact.

Buddy Lee - YouTube

Here is a vid of a chick doing 53 double unders. Her form is not great, but hey, she's out there kickin' booty with the double unders.

53 Consecutive Double Unders - Jump Rope - YouTube

Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,371,781 times
Judging her form after 53 double unders? Gees. Bit much.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:38 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,162,351 times
I love jumping rope- I do sets- 4-8 sets of 75 jumps ... I try and keep going as long as I can, till I'm completely exhausted ... it's excellent for you !!

Buy a 'weighted' jump rope, you can get them at Marshalls for only $7.99 ! You would be amazed at the equipment Marshalls sells- SO CHEAP !! They have 'weighted vests' for 24.99. They sell for over 80.00 in stores !

Old 12-26-2011, 04:45 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,027,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Buy a 'weighted' jump rope
Interesting, I never knew they had these. So do you get a good arm/shoulder workout from the extra weight of the rope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness