Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times

Advertisements

Quick rundown; I'm 35 In 2005 I want from 387# down to 220# in about 9 months. Ate lots of salad and walked a fast 2-4 miles a day. I looked good. Then came the death of my mom (breast Cancer) then the divorce cuz I was a mess, and now I'm back up to almost 300#. I gotta get back in the game here I look like hell. Anyone ever have mental issues that got in the way of your health? If so please share some tips that may help me get motivated and moving again. Not expecting a miracle, just advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Here you go watch this inspiring video of the lovely Tiru Dibaba, if it does not motivate you I don't know what will.

Tirunesh Dibaba The 22 Years Old Destroyer !! - YouTube

Seriously I have always found that two forms of motiviation work for me. 1) habit. We all know that we are creatures of habit. As I posted in the other thread, a martial arts guy once said, if you can do something for 15 days, you can do it for the rest of your life. 2) external stimulus. Why don't you try what I did--I posted a thread entitlled "I have let myself go" and posted my weekly progress in order to motivate myself to keep at it. It worked. Even tho I effed-up by posting it in the wrong section and had to regroup. Little bit embarrasing. But it served its purpose. I'll add a third form too--don't give up. You will try, and fail, but some depression-era wisdom was "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." If you keep trying, there will come a time when things click.

I suggest trying distance running. Commit yourself to run a marathon one year from now. Just start slowly, and gradually increase distance. Avoid running on pavement as much as you can, because it is tough on joints and feet. Best of luck with your quest.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
look at yourself in the mirror.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Quick rundown; I'm 35 In 2005 I want from 387# down to 220# in about 9 months. Ate lots of salad and walked a fast 2-4 miles a day. I looked good. Then came the death of my mom (breast Cancer) then the divorce cuz I was a mess, and now I'm back up to almost 300#. I gotta get back in the game here I look like hell. Anyone ever have mental issues that got in the way of your health? If so please share some tips that may help me get motivated and moving again. Not expecting a miracle, just advice.
The thing is you gotta find the motivation inside of you. You know yourself, & what works. I have no idea what kinds of workouts get you energized, just like you don't know what works for me.
The only thing I live by is that there are no excuses.
No excuses, ever to let myself go.

And the one tip I will give you is to go buy a Richard Simmons workout DVD. I met him & he is a true hero, in my eyes. He's been helping people lose weight for a lot of years, & he's sincerely passionate about what he does.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
The thing is you gotta find the motivation inside of you. You know yourself, & what works. I have no idea what kinds of workouts get you energized, just like you don't know what works for me.
The only thing I live by is that there are no excuses.
No excuses, ever to let myself go.

And the one tip I will give you is to go buy a Richard Simmons workout DVD. I met him & he is a true hero, in my eyes. He's been helping people lose weight for a lot of years, & he's sincerely passionate about what he does.

Find a motivation, and think of it while working out.

There are several things that has been motivating me lately. Some I can't say, but one thing that I wll say is that I don't want to die of something that I could have prevented, so I made the choice to start working out again.

Have a diet plan. For instance, I eat oatmeal and an apple every day at breakfast. Throughout the day I will eat vegetables and fruits to keep my metabolism going, and eat lean, healthy meats such as chicken breast, turkey tenderloin, tuna.

For workouts you can just walk/jog 4-5 times a week, 2 or more miles each time and you will lose weight. your body does need some time to rest, so not doing it everyday is beneficial.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Your motivation is that you have proven your body can reduce in size if you eat less calories. Also that your mom would not want you to do that unhealthy stuff to yourself over her passing. Sorry to hear about her. But time to get off your duff and get to changing the way you are living.

Problem: From the sounds of it is you just picked a way of eating that may not of been balanced or flexible for you?

Faster calorie burn solution to help: Bike over walking. (same cals burning or more than running without the complications)

Diet: What exactly were you doing? Were you balancing your meals or just avoiding obvious crappy heavy food? If so, find guidance.

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

That site will help with food and exercise. There are so many articles and recipes packed in there too. There is also a phone app if you need that.

I had joint damage issues that prevented me from working out. So I had to diet around that. So whatever your mental strain is doing to your habits...you need to find a way around that with your diet. Say it makes you eat chocolate cake...find healthy chocolate option. Say it makes you not want to exercise....eat less and find a way to make exercise fun.

You can do it. You already lost a lot...so you gained some back..you will get at it again. Go for it!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

http://www.oishipizza.com/Pepperoni%...0%26%20Ham.jpg

Just kidding. LOL.

Frame this one on your wall and tell yourself how ugly it looks and that's the crap that goes inside your stomach.

Then grab a veggie half sandwich with grapes on the side.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
currently, no one wants to see you naked.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Take a full-figure photo of yourself, front view and side view, in a swimsuit. Post these pictures on your fridge so you have to look at them before you open the door.

Keep a supply of fresh, crisp apples in the fridge. Next time you are hungry for a snack, ask yourself: Am I hungry enough to eat an apple? If the answer is no, then you're not hungry.

Weigh yourself every day and write the number on a calendar so you can track your progress (and get on top of it before any weight gain gets out of hand)

Remember that you are carrying around at least 80 lbs. of extra fat -- greasy, yellow, ugly fat. It's going into your bloodstream, choking and clogging your arteries. It's putting stress on your joints and forcing your heart and lungs to work harder.

You will feel so much better when you get rid of that fat and replace it with healthy muscle. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism and the more calories you can eat to maintain a healthy weight. If that isn't a motivation to exercise, I don't know what is.

If you have a Y near you, join up. It's affordable and they have trainers who will work with you to create a program. You won't feel out of place because the Y welcomes all members regardless of age, ethnicity or physical appearance. It's not a 20-something spandex fest like some gyms.

I also want to second what Opsimathia said upthread: Your mother would want you to be healthy and happy. Make her proud! Good luck.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
Get yourself a DVD of a heart by-pass operation, that should do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness