Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It has never made any sense to stresss out the body with the extra bodyweight. Over the years the extra bodyweight ( even when it is mostly muscular ) takes a toll on the body.
Well, looks. Remember, i don't mean fat, just muscular, which might not be that lean. Ideally you would be lean to get the "cut" look, but that may involve too much dieting than giving up tasty food is worth. Also, weightlifting is awesome, and its fun to impress yourself once you get that strength and power. And idunno, it's a guy thing, we're hardwired to want to be stronger/more muscular. I was once watching some show about tribes people in Papua New guinea, and the boys in the village were out together fishing or something, and one of them said he was strong or someone else said he was strong and he wanted to joke/show off or whatever and he did the double bicep flex. That very same pose we have over here, over there in a tribe that barely has contact with the outside world. some things are just hard wired in humans and universal
And it's not just an atgtractiveness-to-the-opposite sex thing, I know that women like more the slim look based on studies, I'll still always want to eventually be more muscular, as would many American guys. It's more "manly", more exaggurated. I like more of something. In my ideal world the guys look like that and the women are thick and busty and curvy. don't need no supermodel waifs. Exaggurated dimporphism if you will. I also like my food to be burning spicy and sometimes i eat big gobs of peanut butter straight up, and I like rock, but I love heavy metal. Maybe it's an obnoxious american thing. But this is the Chuck Norris of countries, and that is awesome.
Very large arms will be awesome like that, but then also, great for cuddling with a girl when you find that special girl, she'll love it, strong as steel yet soft as wool. Read that in a book once. I'm a bit of a romantic.

Also, a big one, having a high top strength (as opposed to quickness with fast twitch muscle or a great low-weight endurance) is one of the most useful. Yeah right, like I care about being quick or having a high endurance. Hell no. There's **** to lift and move and put over there and put over there and hold up while I'm screwing it in or carefully position onto the holes or whatver etc etc. Our framer works out for this very reason. Mofo's strong as an ox. Apparently once casually mentioned he had gone to the gym and did squats 425 for 12. Jesus Christ! But he NEEDS to be that strong, because all day long he's lifting and carefully positioning stud walls and other framing members.

And also remember a high top strength does bring with it more endurance with the lesser weights.

It shouldn't take a toll on the body. As long as you stretch, do plenty of cardio too, and grow evenly everywhere (legs too), you;ll be OK. My understanding is that growing too fast from 'roids can be a problem, because apparently your muscles getting strionger doesn't mean your tendons get stronger. 'Course, there are different kinds of steroids including many low-key ones and you don't have to be a dumbass and take a lot. Just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
Try using an alternating grip on the bar. As soon as you can do one don't ever stop. You'll be powering out sets of 15 in no time.

Aside from that doing a balanced strength training routine will help you get to that point.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
I'm 52, female & about 40 lbs overweight (I think it will help a lot to loss the lbs & I'm working on it, but I also see the skinnier girls struggle too) and I've been doing dead weight pull ups for about 4 months. I use a band & have a spotter available. I do the palms facing outward grip. Im not sure if an alternative grip will help. And I do all of the support exercises suggested here. It's been brutal, and it is NOT my favorite activity, but I do it and I'm making progress.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Towel pullups are pretty fun ! Drape two hand towels / gym towels over the bar and work on grip strength too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness