Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:25 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times

Advertisements

USA Powerlifting Online Newsletter

Quote:
Myth #5 Squats are for the quads!
If any of you have squatted in earnest, you know that not only do your quads get sore but also your glutes, adductors and hamstrings. The only way to isolate the quads in the squat would be to do them on your toes and even then the glutes will be involved. The hamstrings play the role of helping to maintain the upright posture as well as keeping the shin from moving forward during the squat. The hams and glutes also play a role in extending the thigh while the quads are extending the knees. In looking specifically at the hamstrings, they tend to be more active in the ascent phase and it has been suggested that the length of the hamstrings during the squat changes minimally (Escamiila, et al, 1997; Wilk, et al, 1996). The often forgotten adductors also play a role in stabilizing the leg and also in the role of thigh extensor. This myth can get complicated when individuals discuss the width of stance in the squat stating that wide (outside of shoulder width) will affect the muscles differently than a narrow stance (inside shoulder width). It has been shown that in narrow stance squats the gastrocnemius, one of the calf muscles, is more active when compared to wide stance squats. However, no other muscle differences have been found (McCaw & Melrose 1999; Tesch, 1993). The width of your stance should be determined by your comfort with the stance and your ability to get to parallel. If you can't reach parallel with a narrow stance then widen your feet. Another simple rule to follow is if you have long legs and a short torso you will typically need to squat with a wide stance while the opposite of short legs and long torso can use a narrower stance. This will decrease the amount of lean required for the long legged, short torso lifter. The short legged, long torso squatter can be narrower since he need less lean to keep the bar over his foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Tom, all of the squat variations work the quads far more than the hamstrings - and vice versa for deads, they barely work the quads at all.

Bottom line, OP, you need to do both.
Powerlifting Squat - Hinge at the hips, can be wide stance, sit back and down with the ass, low bar.

Olympic Squat - Upright position (not bent over, like low bar), high bar placement, narrow stance... targets quads much more - e.g., the more the shin/knee travels forward the more quad recruitment

They both target the quads yes, but if the lifter has weak hamstrings and hips.. the lifter might be able to leg press 800 lbs, but he won't be able to squat 200.

Front Squats/Zerchers target the Quads much more (but still, that's not saying Squats in general don't target quads)

Last edited by td333; 04-08-2012 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I never used to squat, but now I do it sometimes 5x a week, depending on my 'cycle'. It's just something you have to get over. The squat is king of all exercises. You can't really train the deadlift 'effectively' 5x a week, or nearly as much as the squat. It really taxes your CNS/muscles, whereas you can only train heavy on it once a week, if you're older... even less.

A lot of people don't like squats because they're not good at it. Get good at squats, have better for mthan everyone else.. and you'll like them.
I think your last paragraph hit the nail on the head. I hated them, still fear them, sucked at them, and now am getting better and better at them. I am doing them, some days I dread them but I realize you do get better, its not easier especially since I am adding weight always or upping the gaming most times I do them but I am getting better at them. They are very uncomfortable to me, I feel like I am lifting a whole person on my body especially when I get up. But I do it. Just do it. This man is right on with this statement.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Squats are a must of any lifting routine. No other lift works more muscles than the squat does. It's great for you. There are a lot of different variations you can do with the squat. I would not cut them out.

Deadlifts is also another great lift and one a lot of people simply don't do. It's a tough lift to get the form down and is taxing to do. Deadlifts are a great addition to any back routine and work a lot of different muscles.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Ok, so, follow up question.

Would this be a complete workout?

Day 1
Deadlifts
Pushups
Pullups

Day 2
Squats
Pushups
Pullups

It seems complete to me...no need to get too complicated, it seems like it would work everything at a pretty good rate of evenness. What do you guys think?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 AM

Try it out yourself. What works for me might not work for you. I personally deadlift on my squat days. I deadlift twice a week, squat 4 times a week, heavy DL days (90% 1rm-95%) and speed days (60-85%) for 1-2-3 reps 6-10 sets

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Ok, so, follow up question.

Would this be a complete workout?

Day 1
Deadlifts
Pushups
Pullups

Day 2
Squats
Pushups
Pullups

It seems complete to me...no need to get too complicated, it seems like it would work everything at a pretty good rate of evenness. What do you guys think?
What is your goal? Build muscle? Build strength? Cut?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Powerlifting Squat - Hinge at the hips, can be wide stance, sit back and down with the ass, low bar.

Olympic Squat - Upright position (not bent over, like low bar), high bar placement, narrow stance... targets quads much more - e.g., the more the shin/knee travels forward the more quad recruitment

They both target the quads yes, but if the lifter has weak hamstrings and hips.. the lifter might be able to leg press 800 lbs, but he won't be able to squat 200.

Front Squats/Zerchers target the Quads much more (but still, that's not saying Squats in general don't target quads)

Tom, you're repeating exactly what I said. Look at the what you quoted.

Squats, of all kinds, load/stress the quads more than any other muscle group. I never said they didn't work the hamstrings/posterior chain at all.

To reverse your analogy - a lifter might be able to "powerlift" squat 900 but not be able to deadlift 350 if he/she relies on squat variations alone to train the posterior chain.

We both agree, you really need to do both deadlifts and squats, right?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Quote:
Try it out yourself. What works for me might not work for you. I personally deadlift on my squat days. I deadlift twice a week, squat 4 times a week, heavy DL days (90% 1rm-95%) and speed days (60-85%) for 1-2-3 reps 6-10 sets
I'm enjoying it so far, simple but hard. I just was wondering if this was complete enough, if there are any muscles it neglects.

To the other guy, my goal is just building strength/size.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
Be sure to make your split efficient. If you are going to play with split routines I'd suggest learning what moves work which muscle groups so you can set up a balanced workout.

Perhaps something like this

Day 1 pull
Day 2 press

FYI add some vertical pressing and horizontal pulling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness