Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 AM

831 posts, read 1,583,180 times

Advertisements

I know I am like the tortoise and not the hare but I am now up to 25 minutes a day on my treadmill. I don't have to hold on to keep my balance any more. Swinging my arms seems to help my get a better rhythm and walk a little faster. I truly look forward to my walk everyday. I have lost another 4 pounds too!!! I have only had one scary moment with my blood sugar. I did my walk then started making a quick dinner instead of grabbing a snack right after. I legs felt heavy but I thought that was from my walk. I checked my sugar and I was down to 52. So I drank some apple juice and had my daughter finish dinner and feed her little sister. So lesson learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Yes.

But, I'll let you know..by asking other people this question, you're limiting yourself. You're allowing other people to tell you what your limits are. You determine that. You should determine that, no matter your physical state... you have no limits. The only limit is your mind. That can be changed quickly.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:28 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I know I am like the tortoise and not the hare but I am now up to 25 minutes a day on my treadmill. I don't have to hold on to keep my balance any more. Swinging my arms seems to help my get a better rhythm and walk a little faster. I truly look forward to my walk everyday. I have lost another 4 pounds too!!! I have only had one scary moment with my blood sugar. I did my walk then started making a quick dinner instead of grabbing a snack right after. I legs felt heavy but I thought that was from my walk. I checked my sugar and I was down to 52. So I drank some apple juice and had my daughter finish dinner and feed her little sister. So lesson learned.
In my experience at least, getting up to a consistent, 30 minute daily walk is the hardest part. But once you get that down, adding on another 15 or 30 minutes more is a piece of cake.

Congrats on losing 4 more pounds! It sounds as though the walking is already really paying off for you.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM

275 posts, read 1,761,354 times
SuzyQ123;

I think you definitely can be ready for a 5K in 6 months as long as you're careful and follow what your Dr. says in caring for your diabetes. Best of luck and regardless of how long it takes, by taking care of yourself and improving your health you're doing something great for you and your family!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 PM

I am still walking 5-7 days a week. I am up to 45 minutes at 3.0 on the treadmill. When I get up to an hour at 3.0 I plan to start really getting ready for the 5K and work on my speed. I really love doing my walk. I wish I had started this years ago.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
congrats on the progress. I suggest to try to throw in a little jogging. Just try a 200 meter (rouglhly .12 miles) jog one day at whatever is the lowest pace where you feel the need to switch from walk gait to jog gait. Then try 300 meters & so on.

Maybe it's just me, but to me walking is actually more work than jogging when it comes to covering distance. I don't know if it is more efficient energy-wise, or it's just the sheer mental 'work' of extra time required to cover a distance by walking instead of running. Also perhaps if you do run, your body is going to adapt such that it becomes easier--more capillaries, stronger muscles, tendons, & ligaments, etc. If you don't ever run then the body will not make the adaptations.

Of course run it by your doc first (pun intended).

Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
I am currently running 10K but the way my life is going in 6 months 5k should be about it.
A few years ago I was running marathons.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
I am still walking 5-7 days a week. I am up to 45 minutes at 3.0 on the treadmill. When I get up to an hour at 3.0 I plan to start really getting ready for the 5K and work on my speed. I really love doing my walk. I wish I had started this years ago.
is that 3mph/20 minute mile? what happens to you after 45 minutes at that speed?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM

Yes that is 3mph/20 minute mile. What do you mean what happens? After I walk for 45 minutes I check my blood sugar and grab a water and usually a piece of fruit to bring my blood sugar up.

By October I would like to be able to do 3 miles in 45 minutes. Now I am doing a little over 2 miles in 45 minutes. My end goal is to get up to 5 miles a day in 60 minutes. I would like to be able to control my blood sugar with more exercise and not so much insulin.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Yes that is 3mph/20 minute mile. What do you mean what happens? After I walk for 45 minutes I check my blood sugar and grab a water and usually a piece of fruit to bring my blood sugar up.

By October I would like to be able to do 3 miles in 45 minutes. Now I am doing a little over 2 miles in 45 minutes. My end goal is to get up to 5 miles a day in 60 minutes. I would like to be able to control my blood sugar with more exercise and not so much insulin.
well, you said you are up to 45 minutes. so im wondering what is stopping you from going longer? is it because you are too tired, something hurts you or you just picked 45 and stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness