Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,963,732 times

Advertisements

There is a gym called Planet Fitness near where I live. This place doesn't allow you to bring in water bottles over 20oz, you can't make loud noise and there are no scales. They have "no judgement zones" and other things like this. I'm sorry, but this is flat out PATHETIC. I can't imagine anyone who would want to go to a place like this. You are going to a gym to better yourself and work out hard and these people don't even have high weight dumbells. I don't understand why anyone would want to go to a place that preaches mediocracy and preaches to not work out that hard.

This place should be going out of business. What do you guys think about this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,373,095 times
If you don't like it, don't go. I primarily power lift, so Planet Fitness is obviously not a gym I would go to. But, there's no reason for me to discredit the business.

It's a fitness center, not a gym. Different type of gym for those individuals that want to get fit and not big. Creates a 'safe' atmosphere for those that are otherwise scared to step foot into a "real gym".

What you consider mediocrity may be a goal for someone else.

Planet Fitness is located all over the country, I doubt they'll be going out of business anytime soon. For 10$ and Americans on an exercise binge, business should be booming.

So, you may not be able to imagine anyone wanting to go to a place like that.. but in reality, thousands are.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,963,732 times
I am not discrediting anyones goals. The amount I lift would probably be laughed at by most people who frequent the gym. It is not about what the people are doing or what point they are at in their workout routine that I have a problem with, I do however think it seems pretty lame to make everything such low level and non intense workouts. It's like a university that doesn't want 4.0 students to come and encourages people to pull a 2.0 average, and then on top of that doesn't give any way for them to see their progress because it could hurt their feelings.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM

810 posts, read 1,809,942 times
I second tommodonahue. Not everybody goes to the gym for the same reasons; everybody has different fitness goals and objectives.

I bodybuild, so is that a gym that I would go to? Probably not. But there is a market out there that would fit into that particular mold. I see a lot of workout newbies who are downright terrified and intimidated at the prospect of going to a public gym, and it's sad to say but a lot of time their fears are confirmed by select narcissists with overinflated egos. The other day I saw this group of four lifters mocking a heavier woman who was working out in the free weight room and I wanted to punch them all in the faces.

For that matter, I hate people who look down on others who go through a fitness routine that said people deem "inferior" to what they do. While their training program may see room for improvement or a jump in intensity, that doesn't give us the right to look down on them or think that we are superior to them. Just because another guy is lifting less than I am, or running slower than I am, or doesn't have as intense of a workout as I do doesn't mean I am better than him. While I am not a good fit for the Planet Fitness model, there is a market out there, and to be honest I am glad that there is a gym devoted to helping those who want to get in shape but feel intimidated by going to most other gyms.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 PM

45,515 posts, read 60,746,993 times

Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,818 times
Burgler people have to start somewhere. If they are trying to get in shape and never stepped foot in a gym this may be the place to get them started. I am sure if their fitness goals change they can switch gyms. Not everyone going to a gym is trying to become an athlete or a super buff lifter. Some people just want to shed a few pounds and get healthier. If they are too intimidated by 'real' gyms then they won't go at all.
I see people at my gym doing the same routine and never getting anywhere. But they at least are there instead of at home wolfing down a bag of cheetos in front of the TV.
I never weigh myself at the gym, or anywhere for that matter because that number means nothing to me.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I am not discrediting anyones goals. The amount I lift would probably be laughed at by most people who frequent the gym. It is not about what the people are doing or what point they are at in their workout routine that I have a problem with, I do however think it seems pretty lame to make everything such low level and non intense workouts. It's like a university that doesn't want 4.0 students to come and encourages people to pull a 2.0 average, and then on top of that doesn't give any way for them to see their progress because it could hurt their feelings.
No.

It's like a community college and a Tier 1 university.

Different levels, different expectations.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
and it's sad to say but a lot of time their fears are confirmed by select narcissists with overinflated egos. The other day I saw this group of four lifters mocking a heavier woman who was working out in the free weight room and I wanted to punch them all in the faces.
Considering what Burgler has typed here, he's probably one of those.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM

http://store.averagebroz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/7C5F0678-350x350.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-29-2012, 05:56 PM

645 posts, read 1,966,064 times
It's 10$ what do you expect? I pay $75 for Lifetimefitness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness