Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times

Advertisements

Walking, and watching her diet would be an excellent start !!

Much luck to her. She can do it !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I agree with the walking. Another painless thing she can do is put some small handweights where she sits to watch TV. Tell her to use them whenever she is just sitting there. Everything helps!
I agree with walking. But small hand weights will do nothing to improve her overall fitness. They may strengthen her arms ever so slightly, but they won't raise her heart rate, won't make her breathe hard, and won't consume a meaningful amount of calories.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Just a gear tip:

Look for "diabetic socks" for her walks. You kinda want to stay away from regular socks as they can press into the skin and leave a wound. Watch out for blisters too. Diabetic skin can be more fragile and prone to infection.

Doing laundry and folder a pair so I just thought I would add it to this thread. And btw they are the most comfortable socks ever if you want to pick up a pair for yourself.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I will stat walking with her. Should we get heart rate monitors since we will be doing a lot of walking?
I would suggest instead of a heart monitor, to get a pedometer. A good goal would be 10,1000 steps per day which is equal to about 5 miles, but you can always find out how far you two are currently walking, and then increase from there. I find using a pedometer to be highly motivating. http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

The hottest pedometer being promoted now for it's accuracy is the fitbit. Fitbit
But there are less expensive models out there. I find the Omron brand to be very accurate. Check amazon for their reviews.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
I will check out the pedometer and the diabetic socks. Thanks again guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness