Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So for about a year now I have been actively lifting my upper body 3 times per week. That's not a ridiculous amount so I'm not expecting to be totally ripped by now, but I have been doing a fairly consistent 3 times/week. Even my personal trainer who I had last March says he notices improvement. Unfortunately, I never got into the habit of lower body lifting and I don't do that at all (I do cardio though 5x per week so my legs get SOME exercise). What I want to know is how much can NOT lifting lower body affect my upper body gains, my fat loss, my ability to look cut, etc.?
Why not just do legs once a week and upper body twice a week? The only problem I have with that routine is I have a tendency to get sore if I go longer than 5-6 days between lower body workouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM

221 posts, read 484,144 times
Yep it will and it's been proven. Think about it, when you do squats you're still using your upper body strength to hold the weights to a certain point. Just because you're doing legs doesn't mean you're somehow neglecting other muscles and body parts. It all works in tandem; more so with others.

I'd just switch it up and do different routine every time. At least you won't get bored and keep the body moving from different angles with each workout.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
on the other hand, and I'm a petite woman, I workout my lower body with heavy weights and my arms with very light weights. I have trained my legs a lot on leg press and I'm now squating just the larger barbell which I believes weighs 45lbs?

I find my lower body can handle this just fine but its my arms and shoulders that have a hard time balancing and holding the barbell on my shoulders...not quite sure what to do and I'm wondering if this is because I always neglected my upper body.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So for about a year now I have been actively lifting my upper body 3 times per week. That's not a ridiculous amount so I'm not expecting to be totally ripped by now, but I have been doing a fairly consistent 3 times/week. Even my personal trainer who I had last March says he notices improvement. Unfortunately, I never got into the habit of lower body lifting and I don't do that at all (I do cardio though 5x per week so my legs get SOME exercise). What I want to know is how much can NOT lifting lower body affect my upper body gains, my fat loss, my ability to look cut, etc.?
It's probably not affecting your fitness goals very much at all.

I think it's good policy to include some stationary bike with resistance, some sprint work and some glute-hamstring workouts (you don't really look like an athlete if you have noassatall syndrome) but I haven't been able to justify serious leg training since serious athletic competition became a memory.

Also, make sure you're getting enough rest for each muscle group before training it again. Overtraining will hamper your long-term gains a lot more than neglecting legs.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
http://www.triedandtruefitness.com/s...hat-important/

Lift Big Eat Big: Search results for squats important

Plus a million more articles out there. Bottom line, all of the *really* strong guys out there say that HEAVY squats are a must - hormone production/release, CNS load, etc, etc. The glutes/hips/hams/quads are by far the largest muscle group in your body, why would you NOT train them?

Here's a clip of the head strength coach from the LSU football team on the subject:

http://youtu.be/nIqB_JtPYCI

P.S. Why in the hell are you doing 400lb calf-raises? What goal are you satisfying there?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
P.S. Why in the hell are you doing 400lb calf-raises? What goal are you satisfying there?
Oh I don't even work on them anymore. I just said I can do 400 (aka 200 on each leg).

Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
http://www.triedandtruefitness.com/s...hat-important/

Lift Big Eat Big: Search results for squats important

Plus a million more articles out there. Bottom line, all of the *really* strong guys out there say that HEAVY squats are a must - hormone production/release, CNS load, etc, etc. The glutes/hips/hams/quads are by far the largest muscle group in your body, why would you NOT train them?

Here's a clip of the head strength coach from the LSU football team on the subject:

LSU Tigers Coach Tom Moffitt Back Squat Football Workout - YouTube

I agree with everything presented in the links, but only if you have a reason to be doing heavy squats and your goal is to maximize your physical strength and explosiveness for athletic competition.

In my opinion, casual fitness guy (which is a rank I've now belonged to for ten years) is taking a lot of risk with and putting a lot of wear on a very important group of joints when he squats heavy. To me, your knees are like a set of tires: you're only going to get so many miles out of them. I don't think that stopping all activity and pampering your legs is a good plan, but heavy squats doesn't fall in the "reasonable" category for me any more. That aside, I trashed the articular cartilage on the ends of my femurs doing heavy squats and power cleans under the guidance and tutelage of a very competent strength and conditioning coach - can't tolerate heavy pushing from 90 degrees to straight anymore.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 PM

53 posts, read 143,083 times
Compound exercises that seem to primarily work the lower body (squats and deadlifts) will actually pack on muscle in your upper body like nothing else.

If you want raw, physical and functional strength, I strongly recommend Starting Strength (as does the majority of the weight lifting community). You'll pack on pounds of lean muscle mass while dropping fat like crazy.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSherman View Post
Compound exercises that seem to primarily work the lower body (squats and deadlifts) will actually pack on muscle in your upper body like nothing else.

If you want raw, physical and functional strength, I strongly recommend Starting Strength (as does the majority of the weight lifting community). You'll pack on pounds of lean muscle mass while dropping fat like crazy.
Amazon.com: Starting Strength, 3rd edition (9780982522738): Mark Rippetoe, Jason Kelly: Books

Great book and I love how Rippetoe is an unabashed cave man.

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."

"Exercise is the stimulus that returns our bodies to the conditions for which they were designed. Humans are not physically normal in the absence of hard, physical effort. Exercise is not a thing we do to fix a problem; it is a thing we must do anyway, a thing without which there will always be problems. Exercise is a substitute for cave-man activity."

Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Amazon.com: Starting Strength, 3rd edition (9780982522738): Mark Rippetoe, Jason Kelly: Books

Great book and I love how Rippetoe is an unabashed cave man.

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."

"Exercise is the stimulus that returns our bodies to the conditions for which they were designed. Humans are not physically normal in the absence of hard, physical effort. Exercise is not a thing we do to fix a problem; it is a thing we must do anyway, a thing without which there will always be problems. Exercise is a substitute for cave-man activity."
This reminds me of an old song.

Jimmy Castor Bunch - Troglodyte - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness