Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,302,021 times

Advertisements

Will a decade or more of weightlifting catch up to you and break your body down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 07:08 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Will a decade or more of weightlifting catch up to you and break your body down?
Lots of bodybuilders have hip replacements?

Where did you get your information from?

Please provide a link.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
So about a month ago I had to go to an out-patient clinic to do a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening. Had to sit outside the exam rooms for almost an hour. It appeared that most of the people coming in were doing either pre or post op visits for hip or knee replacements. Every single one of them waddled their fat obese bodies into the exam room. One doc left the door ajar and I could hear this woman complaining that she can't understand why her hips and knees hurt so much. Could it be that you are at least 100 lbs overweight? Granted this is just my personal observation from sitting in a waiting room for an hour. But did not see one single in shape person coming for a joint replacement.

I'll take my chances on lifting any day over the alternative.

You may not want to lift weights because when you stop all the muscle turns to fat.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post

You may not want to lift weights because when you stop all the muscle turns to fat.
Where do people get this ridiculous notion?
It's simply not true. Sorry.

I would postulate that athletes and lifters undergo more orthopedic procedures because they are using their joints more and in more extreme situations.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Where do people get this ridiculous notion?
It's simply not true. Sorry.

I would postulate that athletes and lifters undergo more orthopedic procedures because they are using their joints more and in more extreme situations.
I was being sarcastic, people make more reasons to not work out than to actually do it.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 AM

Nobody is making any excuse not to work out.

It's just that the potential damage you can do after over a decade of heavy squatting should be made available. Instead, you have nothing but these bro-science websites that call you a sissy if you don't squat big.

You don't have to lift weights. You can do calesthenics which is safer and better. I wish I would have known this when I was younger.

Who knows what the long term effects of over a decade of squatting will be for me. In the past when I had hip pain, I just stretched and it eventually went away. I thought nothing of it. I thought it was normal.

But then you read about guys like Lou Ferrigno getting a hip replacement and knee replacements.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 AM

I think once you hit 40+ you need to cut back on the really heavy stuff. Read this a few months ago and it really hit me, said that as you age you need to remember the movement over the load. So still do squats, but cut back on the weight, do goblet squats, front squats, air squats. Do the movement but cut back on the weight. I've stopped looking backwards about what I used to be able to do and now look forward to what I need to do to still function highly in 15 years when I hit my 60's.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Been doing it for over 20 years, no problems.

From who I see with hip and knee problems, it is obvious weight lifting is not a causation (or the only one) as I have five relatives that have had hip problems/replacements, not a single one of them ever lifted weights. A lot of hip problems are genetic, maybe most of them? My cousin has a serious problem now, she is only 33, never lifted a weight or even ran further than five feet.

"You don't have to lift weights. You can do calesthenics which is safer and better."

This seems to be yet another post attacking weight lifting, funny how it is never the other way around, almost like trying to seek justification in not lifting. If you do not want to lift, by all means do not. But no reason to get on here and start posting incorrect garbage like this, and you do not even provide reference, just a "fact" derived from your mind. Reminds me of people who attack auto transmissions every chance they get.

You actually start out about squats, then just jump over to condeming weight lifting all together. As I said, if you do not want to do it, do not, no one is forcing you to weight lift. But why the need to spread incorrect information? Other than to support your opinion.

Do lifters have hip problems? Of course they do, so does the general population, which leads to a conclusion (absent of more info) that lifting does not result in an increased risk for hip problems. Improper lifting? High impact? Probably does increase the risk. Given the number of people who do not squat correctly, or lift any weight correctly, it would not surprise me if short and long term injuries occur, but that is the result of doing things wrong.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Been doing it for over 20 years, no problems.

From who I see with hip and knee problems, it is obvious weight lifting is not a causation (or the only one) as I have five relatives that have had hip problems/replacements, not a single one of them ever lifted weights. A lot of hip problems are genetic, maybe most of them? My cousin has a serious problem now, she is only 33, never lifted a weight or even ran further than five feet.

"You don't have to lift weights. You can do calesthenics which is safer and better."

This seems to be yet another post attacking weight lifting, funny how it is never the other way around, almost like trying to seek justification in not lifting. If you do not want to lift, by all means do not. But no reason to get on here and start posting incorrect garbage like this, and you do not even provide reference, just a "fact" derived from your mind. Reminds me of people who attack auto transmissions every chance they get.

You actually start out about squats, then just jump over to condeming weight lifting all together. As I said, if you do not want to do it, do not, no one is forcing you to weight lift. But why the need to spread incorrect information? Other than to support your opinion.

Do lifters have hip problems? Of course they do, so does the general population, which leads to a conclusion (absent of more info) that lifting does not result in an increased risk for hip problems. Improper lifting? High impact? Probably does increase the risk. Given the number of people who do not squat correctly, or lift any weight correctly, it would not surprise me if short and long term injuries occur, but that is the result of doing things wrong.
I'm not attacking weights, but honestly I wouldn't advise anyone to lift weights anymore.

If calesthenics can get you strong, capable, limber, and pain free, wouldn't it be a better route to take than weight lifting?

It is our ego that makes us lift so much weight.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
Even fit people need hip and knee replacements. Skiers, runners, people who play almost any competitive sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness