Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,367,314 times

Advertisements

There is no reason why anyone should be responding to Del Boy.

I will say one thing to everyone else.

Olympic weightlifting is all about NOT having an ego. If you've got a big ego that you can't drop, you won't learn the lifts.

Weightlifting increases the strengthening of bones and soft tissue (ligaments, joints). Calesthenics/jogging encourages increased repairing of those aforementioned things.

Article I cited earlier: http://www.velocitysp.com/multimedia...e_Safety-3.pdf

Also, most of you chums won't ever deadlift or squat more than 2x your body weight.. even 1.5x (for squat at least). So, no problem with joints on the general population of people that lift weights. Those that lift competitively, are strong and healthy enough (and do it correctly) to not get injured. Ivan Abenijevadasvbulgarian guy is 70-80 years old and can still Snatch.

Distance Running – Is It Healthy? | Robertson Training Systems

In this study 60 runners were followed over the course of a year. Out of those 60, 39 suffered injuries. What’s even scarier, out of those 39 participants they actually suffered 55 injuries! That means that many of these runners suffered multiple injuries within the same calendar year!

The study goes on to compare the differences between sprinters, middle distance runners, and marathoners. I was most interested in the middle distance runners, because this description covers the “recreational” runner who saunters into your facility. Not surprisingly, the most often injured areas to these runners are backache and hip problems.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
This confirms a lot of what we see at IFAST – the prototypical “rec runner” has terrible core and hip stability.

edit: damn I got roped in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Knee osteoarthritis in former runners, socce... [Arthritis Rheum. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

"Soccer players and weight lifters are at increased risk of developing premature knee OA. The increased risk is explained in part by knee injuries in soccer players and by high body mass in weight lifters."

Arthritis is the leading indication for knee replacement.

So we could indeed expect that weight lifters might be at increased risk to need new knees.

What injuries do weight lifters get? This article is a bid aged:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00007-0016.pdf

"The back (primarily low back), knees, and shoulders accounted for the most significant number of injuries (64.8%). The types of injuries most prevalent in this study were strains and tendinitis (68.9%)."

"The injuries typical of elite weightlifters are primarily overuse injuries, not traumatic injuries compromising joint integrity."

A more recent one:

Injury incidence and prevalence amon... [Am J Sports Med. 2002 Mar-Apr] - PubMed - NCBI

Low back, knee and shoulder injuries.

What about body mass and the hip?

Osteoarthritis: high BMI increases chance of hip replacement - myDr.com.au

The article really refers to obesity, but heavy manual labor and heavy lifting (in general, not just recreational lifting) were associated with needing hip replacement

I would conclude that weightlifters would be at increased risk of needing either hip or knee replacement, with knees being more vulnerable because of injury as well as the effects of lifting itself.

Edited to add: I am sure his program is not ideal, but Hershel Walker eschews weight lifting:

http://www.tryingfitness.com/herschel-walker-workout/

Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I don't think I ever say anyone in the hospital who was there for their hip replacement due to weight lifting. I'd say 90-95% were elderly people who had fallen due to muscle atrophy or a chronic condition (i.e., arthritis, avascular necrosis & of course, hip fractures) now needed surgery.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I don't think I ever say anyone in the hospital who was there for their hip replacement due to weight lifting. I'd say 90-95% were elderly people who had fallen due to muscle atrophy or a chronic condition (i.e., arthritis, avascular necrosis & of course, hip fractures) now needed surgery.
The issue is not how many people with hip replacements were weightlifters. The question being asked is how many lifters need hip replacement.

Many more recipients are going to be the population you've described because there are, well, more of them, and many of them are women with osteoporosis.

What the weightlifters want to know is does lifting increase the risk. So you have to look at the population of lifters and compare them to a comparable population that does not lift. That means comparing people of similar ages and genders.

I have a sister-in-law who was an OR nurse who worked for an orthopedic hospital that specialized in sports medicine. I think I'll ask her what she saw.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Will a decade or more of weightlifting catch up to you and break your body down?
Despite knowing guys who used to lift weights, none of them has had a hip replacement. I know a number of women who have had them though, perhaps they were "closet lifters."

Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Here is a very good related article by Steve Holman:
Quote:
Steve has been training for 35 years, since he was 15, and has been IRON MAN Magazine’s Editor in Chief for more than 20 years. He has written more than 20 books on bodybuilding
Best Stress for Mass-Building Success : Steve Holman

Quote:
Go heavy or go home. Squat heavy to get big. At this point, I think I’d rather go home. It’s much better than heading to the hospital for hip replacement surgery—which is what has happened to numerous heavy squatters as they aged, from John Grimek to Clarence Bass to Lou Ferrigno.

Yes, joint-pounding stress is not good at my age (52). If you’re young, and you must train heavy—I understand the mind-set—just be careful and be prepared for some cumulative damage later in life. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have gone so insane for strength gain. It’s simply not worth it—and not necessary for muscle size. I’ve explained why that’s so in previous blogs. The reason is that muscle size is more about metabolic stress, not joint or even severe muscle duress.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:13 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The other thing the op presumes is that every person lifting weight is lifting massive amounts of weight.

There are many ways to weight lift.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Knee osteoarthritis in former runners, socce... [Arthritis Rheum. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

"Soccer players and weight lifters are at increased risk of developing premature knee OA. The increased risk is explained in part by knee injuries in soccer players and by high body mass in weight lifters."

Arthritis is the leading indication for knee replacement.

So we could indeed expect that weight lifters might be at increased risk to need new knees.

What injuries do weight lifters get? This article is a bid aged:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00007-0016.pdf

"The back (primarily low back), knees, and shoulders accounted for the most significant number of injuries (64.8%). The types of injuries most prevalent in this study were strains and tendinitis (68.9%)."

"The injuries typical of elite weightlifters are primarily overuse injuries, not traumatic injuries compromising joint integrity."

A more recent one:

Injury incidence and prevalence amon... [Am J Sports Med. 2002 Mar-Apr] - PubMed - NCBI

Low back, knee and shoulder injuries.

What about body mass and the hip?

Osteoarthritis: high BMI increases chance of hip replacement - myDr.com.au

The article really refers to obesity, but heavy manual labor and heavy lifting (in general, not just recreational lifting) were associated with needing hip replacement

I would conclude that weightlifters would be at increased risk of needing either hip or knee replacement, with knees being more vulnerable because of injury as well as the effects of lifting itself.

Edited to add: I am sure his program is not ideal, but Hershel Walker eschews weight lifting:

Herschel Walker’s Unique Diet and Workout Routine
Suzy,
You have referred to overuse injuries and heavy manual labor as being leading causes of hip replacement. I agree, but the point is, a manual laborer or assembly line worker is more likely to develop these problems than a weight lifter. Overuse injuries should not occur from weightlifting. You should not be working any area of the body that much that an overuse injury could occur. A typical lifter is doing 20-25 sets of different exercises in a workout that takes 45-60 minutes with short rest periods between sets. They are lifting typically 3-5 days a week. Compare that to a ditch digger or assembly line worker who who is using the same repetitive motion for 8 hours a day/5 days a week.

I argue that reasonable weightlifting is protective of the knees and hips. I have a torn meniscus and arthritis in my right knee. What has helped me the most is to do one-legged weightlifting exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee. These exercises have virtually eliminated the pain and allowed me to run 10K races.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Suzy,
You have referred to overuse injuries and heavy manual labor as being leading causes of hip replacement. I agree, but the point is, a manual laborer or assembly line worker is more likely to develop these problems than a weight lifter. Overuse injuries should not occur from weightlifting. You should not be working any area of the body that much that an overuse injury could occur. A typical lifter is doing 20-25 sets of different exercises in a workout that takes 45-60 minutes with short rest periods between sets. They are lifting typically 3-5 days a week. Compare that to a ditch digger or assembly line worker who who is using the same repetitive motion for 8 hours a day/5 days a week.

I argue that reasonable weightlifting is protective of the knees and hips. I have a torn meniscus and arthritis in my right knee. What has helped me the most is to do one-legged weightlifting exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee. These exercises have virtually eliminated the pain and allowed me to run 10K races.
All I am saying is that it is plausible that weightlifters, some of who do get injuries, might get arthritis related to those injuries. Since hip injuries seem uncommon, then arthritis of the hip related to injury would be less common.

Searching Google yesterday was difficult because there were so many hits for a few spectacular injuries during the Olympics this year, including a dislocated elbow and a fellow who got hit in the head with a barbell. Even very experienced people can get hurt.

The weightlifter still might get arthritis. It just might take him longer than the person who lifts as part of his job.

What I did not find was a study comparing lifters and non-lifters, which is what would answer the question.

None of this means people should not lift weights. Keeping muscles fit does protect the joints.

But lifters might want to consider whether years of pushing to the maximum limit how much weight it is possible for them to lift could take its toll down the road.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Will a decade or more of weightlifting catch up to you and break your body down?
For the same reason why trucks that regularly bounce and bump around, and carry extremely heavy loads, have to have more frequent suspension component replacements.

A decade of weightlifting won't necessarily mess you up, but that depends upon what you do. I've lifted off and on for 15 years and have experienced the "pain limit" where it's more than just ordinary muscle fatigue... that's the point where you stop. I've injured myself lifting, by doing too much. These hardcore bodybuilders surely do too much at some point in time... after all, there are all kinds of products on the market to help bodybuilders exceed their original abilities... eventually that catches up to you just like nitro-injecting an engine without upgrading its internal components. You can never upgrade your bones, tendons, etc... so it's entirely understandable why some people get really messed up after years of hardcore weightlifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness