Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

Me: M, 41, 5'9, 178#, good athlete, used to work out all the time, havent' done so consistently for the last 2 yrs or so. while I'm not fat by any means, I'm not as solid as I used to be. Definitely lost some muscle tone.

My biggest problem now though is portion control with my meals. My eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach but I always eat until I'm 'past' full and then I feel guilty about it. I feel that combining my lack of portion control with not working out like I used to, that I'm on the road to weight gain and not being happy with how I look physically.
Obviously the simples solution is eat less and exercise more.

Any advice on how to not pig out when you're hungry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Me: M, 41, 5'9, 178#, good athlete, used to work out all the time, havent' done so consistently for the last 2 yrs or so. while I'm not fat by any means, I'm not as solid as I used to be. Definitely lost some muscle tone.

My biggest problem now though is portion control with my meals. My eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach but I always eat until I'm 'past' full and then I feel guilty about it. I feel that combining my lack of portion control with not working out like I used to, that I'm on the road to weight gain and not being happy with how I look physically.

Couple of things have worked for me:

1. Use a smaller plate. It will look fuller.

2. USE A PLATE - don't eat out of a bag or at the stove.

3. When eating out, ask for a take home container RIGHT away. Immediately, divide the meal in half and put half in the take home container and put it aside.

4. This is really hard - but when eating out, tell the hostess not to bring extra bread, chips, etc.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
I have absolutely no control when I am hungry. NONE.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
Drink a glass of water before a meal. In general, carry a bottle of water with you at all times and sip at it throughout the day. You should be drinking about 3 liters of water a day at your size. Lastly, everything should be about the size of your closed fist

ie about 6 oz of meat for someone your size, about 1/3 a cup of rice, 1 medium potato. Don't stress too much; just get about the size of your fist. And double that for veggies

Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
6oz of meat for someone 178 pounds? Not if that person is strength training.

The closed fist statement is a cookie-cutter statement for the general population... I don't necessarily agree with it and most involved in strength/fitness wouldn't either.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Be aware of the psychology of eating:

http://www.ama-med.org.ar/obesidad/F...mbientales.pdf

The entire article is illuminating, but see the table beginning on page 471 for some concrete ideas. Note that some of these have already been mentioned. The article explains why they help.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post

Try eating a few eggs every morning as soon as you wake up, I'm not really sure if it's the protein or the fat or both, but it helped me a lot and it seems to help others. No breakfast and my body thinks it's OK to just eat all day. People do seem to vary considerably on this, though.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
you just set rules and dont break them. you make all your food in advance, you put a certain portion on the plate, you put the rest away. no more food allowed. i take my food to work and what im supposed to eat is all i take. if i take more, i will eat more. if i take snacks, i will eat all the snacks. so i dont take any snacks. dont give yourself options.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
What exactly are you eating with your meals (the proportion of meat, veggies, starch)? I find that I don't overeat if I eat plenty of protein and fiber rich foods throughout the day. If I eat a bunch of protein and fiber in the morning (like chicken breasts, some types of fruits) I am not as hungry later on and eat less by dinner. Also, I find that I tend to pig out if I eat the starches on my plate first, so I start with the others first.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Yep,protein and fiber early in the day staves off hunger pangs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness