Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 PM

85 posts, read 237,343 times

Advertisements

In the market for a good piece of equipment. Would like a machine that has a variety of different exercises for that full body workout. Looking to spend no more than $1000. Space is not an issue as its going into an empty third garage.

Any ideas?

Thanks to all
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Power cage, BB, bench, and some plates.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Power cage, BB, bench, and some plates.
I agree. I don't have a problem with machines in a gym but if I was buying something for home use, I would buy free weights. You can add additional plates and dumbbells over time. It seems like most people who purchase machines like Bowflex get bored with them over time. And most of these machines cost more than $1,000. Anything for less than $1K is going to be extremely limited.

If you decide you want to buy one of the home gyms, look on Craigslist. I'm sure you could get a bargain even if you have to rent a truck and move it.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:34 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
I agree with Craigslist. Lots of people buy equipment, then sell at a bargain when they realize they're not getting used. I have. Good set of dumbbells, a weight bench, and a treadmill in my home gym. Would be careful on cardio equip. You get what you pay for, and if its cheap, it's probably not going to get used for long.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM

85 posts, read 237,343 times
Ok, so it seems like getting a bench, treadmill, and some weights is possibly a better idea than getting an all in machine. Any other equipment to add to the home gym?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:56 PM

810 posts, read 1,808,328 times
As has been said before, the "home gyms," and by home gyms I mean the all-in-one machines that are sold for home-use, are often inferior to the ones that commercial gyms have. I would stick with free weights.

I WISH I had the space for my own garage gym. If I did, I would have the following:

Free weights, obviously. Dumbbells and a couple olympic bars if I can find them (the 45 lb ones) and plates.

A Power cage, where I can do squats and deadlifts on.

An adjustable bench that can incline.

A couple of mats for stretching

A heavy bag for punching

Jump rope

A Pullup bar

The only time I would recommend a machine is for cable work (which is usually for back workouts,) though you can get a great back workout with free weights and a pullup bar.

A weightlifting belt where you can hook a chain that has barbell plates attached to it.

Fans and space heaters, per your respective season.

Also, while you can find free weights pretty cheap, the rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. You will be able to get away with getting used dumbbells and barbell plates, but if you're buying anything that has moving parts or cables, go new. Same with a heavy bag.

EDIT: Also, and this is just me, but unless you live in an area where running outdoors is practically impossible or dangerous, I would forego buying a treadmill. A good, par-quality treadmill can be quite expensive, and there are much cheaper ways to do cardio, whether that be running in the great outdoors, jumping rope, hitting the heavy bag or doing plyometrics.

Last edited by Gatsby1925; 01-26-2013 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Added stuff about treadmills

Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
This is what I would do, it offers the best bang for your buck. You won't get a good treadmill or any cardio equipment for $1,000. I have a $4,000 treadmill and I rarely use it because it's not as sturdy as the $9,000 ones at the gym. If you wanted to spend a little more I would recommend a rower.

In my basement I have 1 kettlebell and 1 set of dumbells and I get an amazing workout mainly doing bodyweight exercise like burpees, jumping lunges, push ups. There are Apps that have really good programs.

Best bang for you buck:

1. Adjustable Bench $279
2. Bumper Plates $300
3. Long Straight Bar $90
4. Kettlebells x2 $90
5. Dumbells $200
6. Insanity DVD $80
7. Medicine Ball $10
$1,049

Last edited by gumbo31; 01-26-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn911 View Post
In the market for a good piece of equipment. Would like a machine that has a variety of different exercises for that full body workout. Looking to spend no more than $1000. Space is not an issue as its going into an empty third garage.

Any ideas?

Thanks to all
Do you want to look muscle bound or just get in better tone? One thing for either one is you don't need a bunch of expensive machines and dumb bells to do either one.

Resistance Bands are a better way for the average person.

(The color of the band is the amount of resistance you'll work against. Some of the colors will take it out of you!!!)

Choosing and Using Resistance Bands

Resistance Band Workout | Men's Health

Amazon.com: Aylio Basic Resistance Bands Exercise Set: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Heavy Duty Chin up Bar & Resistance Bands: Electronics

http://www.bodylastics.com/

Resistance Bands & Versa-Tubes | Power Systems

Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Rogue S-2 Squat Stand

625$...squat stand + bench

The Rogue Bar

275$ bar

or

Rogue Beater Bar

165$ (But i prefer whippy bars... you'll appreciate a whippy bar when squatting)

...and weights from play it again sports

edit: people use "tone" and "muscle" as if they are two different things.. or if there is no middle point. I assume people mean 'general fitness' when they say "tone" (which is what women say) and when people say 'muscle bound' they think of arnold.. but that takes years and dedication. most people won't even reach 'general fitness' or what some people perceive as 'tone' anyways...

Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Pretty much agree with everyone else, get a squat rack, weights & kettlebells. Might look into a rowing machine as well.

Here are some cheap homemade things that add a little variety to your workouts. Some homemade sandbags and get those big 7 gallon water jugs. Try carrying the water jugs around your backyard when they are full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness