Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,848 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My current work out plan is this:

Monday: Chest, Triceps, Abs
Tuesday :Back, Biceps, Abs
Wed: Rest
Thur: Shoulders Legs, Abs
Friday: Chest, Triceps, Abs
Sat: Back, Biceps, Abs
Sun: Rest.

With this plan, I don't have much time, so I am thinking of reducing to this with more rest days

Sunday: Chest, Triceps, Abs
Monday : rest
Wed: Back, Biceps, Abs
Thur: rest
Friday: Shoulders Legs, Abs
Sat: rest
Sun: Chest, Triceps, Abs
Monday:rest

Questions:

1. I am not sure which is better. Ideally, I want to be in the gym 3-4 times a day for 1 hour.

Any help would be great. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
What is your age and what are your goals? Biggest thing missing are some good compound lifts like some pulls and some squats. The older I get the more I am trying to simplify things, so I focus on a pull, push, squat, hinge and a carry every week.

Personally I am having my biggest gains only lifting twice a week for about 45-60 minutes a session. I'm in my late 40's and stronger than I have ever been. Today I did front squats (squat), deadlifts (pull & hinge), pullups (pull) and waiter's walks (carry).

Spend the extra time I am not in the gym shopping and cooking good food. Will cook a bunch of chicken and rice, divide it up and stick it in the fridge. So when it is mealtime, it only takes 15-20 minutes to heat up chicken, rice and some sort of veggie. Eating healthy and being rested has helped me more than time in the gym. The only thing that screws it up is that I start hitting some lifting PR's so I start going to the gym more often. Then I wonder why I can't continue to hit some gains.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
What is your age and what are your goals? Biggest thing missing are some good compound lifts like some pulls and some squats. The older I get the more I am trying to simplify things, so I focus on a pull, push, squat, hinge and a carry every week.
I am 33

Current weight is 175
body fat is 16

goal is 10-11% body fat and muscles leans.

Currently, on diet to reduce weight and body fat. using myfitnesspal to help keep track of calories.

So I want to see how i look shredded and then builk up to 180

Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM

I actually have better luck bulking up first, then shedding the pounds. If you are still in your 30's you can more than likely get away with a third day in the gym.

To lose weight and fat I would add one session a week of some sort of interval workout. My two favorites are hill sprints and Tabata intervals on the rowing machine. For the Tabata intervals, warm up on the rowing machine after lifting for about 5 minutes. Then go to the custom interval section on the rower's screen. Set up intervals for 20 seconds of work and only 10 seconds of rest. If you do it the right way, you should only be able to get through 6-8 intervals and be done in under 5 minutes. It takes a lot out of you, so only do them a couple of times a month.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
Drop it to 3 days a week if you're just going to do chest again; tons of guys in America have injured shoulders from doing too much pressing and not enough pulling.

Make sure you incorporate compound movements; squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, etc

The biggest thing with dropping weight is going to be your diet. Low carb, high protein, extremely high vegetables.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post

Make sure you incorporate compound movements; squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, etc
Thanks for the input. Why do you state the above? Whats its importance? Just asking.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 PM

With all due respect, do a little research. Squats, deadlifts and shoulder presses are three classic exercises that should be the cornerstone of any lifting regimen. If all you did were those three exercises and nothing else you would be in great shape. You want to be strong, you need to do those exercises. Not enough space on this forum to explain, whole books have been written around these three exercises.

Go find a copy of "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, that book should be required reading for anyone about to hit the weight room.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
With your current workout schedule and goals. My suggestion is to add 20 mins of intense cardio twice a week, If you aren't already. Trust me this will seriously fast forward your goals.

Examples of intense cardio : skipping, mosh dancing, sprints. With as little in the way of rest periods in the 20 mins as you can do.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:16 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Thanks for the input. Why do you state the above? Whats its importance? Just asking.
I write a blog so I address both getting bigger or losing fat here: Start Here

Basically, compound movements use more muscles (squats and deadlifts use just about every muscle in your body), burn more calories, and build more mass which increase metabolism more quickly, so more fat burned. Anyone wanting to get bigger or smaller should incorporate those movements into their routine

Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,777 times
I do 2 days of Cardio and weightlifting the rest with a 1 day rest. I lost 38 lbs since last year. I am now down to 182. I am done losing weight. I lost weight by eating right and Insanity. Now I am focusing more on building muscle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness