Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 18,555 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I work out around 5-7 times a week doing both cardio and strength training. Unfortunately, I am not seeing any results. I am 19, 5 foot 3.75 inches, around 125-130 lbs, waist 25'', and last I checked my body fat was around 18%. I would really love to do fitness or bikini competitions (not body building), but I have no idea how to get my body competition ready. Any tips on workout or diet to get there? Also, does anyone know what I should have for a goal weight and/or measurements? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 PM

186 posts, read 362,435 times
read Tim Ferris's GREAT book, THE FOUR HOUR BODY. Your public library has it, for sure. also visit his site, thefourhourbody.com. Believe what you read/see, it's for real, and it's pretty easy to do, too.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Don't read the four hour body.

Gain a foundation of knowledge, rather than read-repeat.

Once you gain a foundation of knowledge/theory you can then apply it to your own needs.

Try and stay away from 'cardio' and focus on strength training. In order to have the right proportions, you need muscle. Strength training and a good diet will cut down on fat and maintain muscle. Cardio/conditioning should be limited to light jogging/walking/light cycling.

And no, your body won't "bulk" from continuous/heavy strength training.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Why not invest in a trainer and tell them your goal and have them set up a program for you to follow.
One thing is for sure diet is the most important part of this process. You will also have to devote quite a bit of time at the gym.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM

right, a few thousand $ per year, what the hey? :-) Yeah, don't read a free book from your library, waste a few years trying to re-invent the wheel.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Why not invest in a trainer and tell them your goal and have them set up a program for you to follow.
One thing is for sure diet is the most important part of this process. You will also have to devote quite a bit of time at the gym.
I completely agree.

Find out where competitions are being held near you.

Maybe go to an event, and meet with the women competing, and ask who trains them.

Then take a few names and numbers.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to get competition ready without a professional trainer to guide you.

Below is a website where you can find out about contests being held around the U.S.

Bodybuilding.com - Huge Bodybuilding Contest Article Database! - Bodybuilding.com

Last edited by RD5050; 09-05-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 PM

well, after a couple of years of bodybuilding on your own, with books and videos, saving your money, THEN maybe you can benefit from some coaching, but you're nothing like being ready for competition in the first few months.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
find a trainer who has experience training others to compete in fitness or bikini competition (& winning). I'd also suggest you check the Natural body building website. You may want to check some of the pro competitor sites for trainer/training recommendations, Such as WBFF Fitness Competitor or Ifbb Pro.

where are you located? PM me if you'd like a referral. I don't compete, but I have lots of friends who do, and my trainer, trains winners.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
right, a few thousand $ per year, what the hey? :-) Yeah, don't read a free book from your library, waste a few years trying to re-invent the wheel.
Not even close, depending on the trainer/gym.

Books don't correct bad form. Only those with actual experience can do that.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:02 AM

33 posts, read 104,177 times
You might be a candidate for a crossfit type gym. These gyms usually have lots of cardio along with kettle bells, and some traditional style exercises. They lower your % of body fat compared to lean muscle and definitely help to define your physique. A friend who was always in good shape and had a nice body to begin with started this about 8 weeks ago and she looks incredible!

If you let the trainer know upfront what your goal is, then they will tailor a workout to meet it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness