Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times

Advertisements

You know, besides the old fitness stuff that folks usually do. I'm wondering b/c they always tell you that you're not going to stick with it unless you find something you really like to do and let's face it--I hate, hate, hate running and if that was all that was available to me I'd sit on my azz.

But, I love dancing, esp folk dancing and I've just moved to an area where there aren't as many opportunities. I bought a nordic track (used) but hate that too, though not as bad as running. I've always admired clog dancing--never learned but I've got youtube. Man, what a workout! And fun. Anyone else have similarly eccentric tastes? Some folks on here might be looking for ideas of something they'd stick with. If you're wondering what clogging is, this is my practice vid--I can almost keep up after learning the basic steps for the past week.
Clogging Lessons w/ Evie Ladin - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 PM

BTW, dancing is the best form of exercise for your brain b/c you're working out and thinking at the same time.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:03 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
looks like fun! And looks like a great workout! You might want to check "meet up" for local dance groups. Another folk dance that comes to mind is contra dancing, and I know there are local & regional gatherings for this group.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:28 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
There's always Prancercise:
Original - Prancercise: A Fitness Workout - YouTube

Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I saw her on the Today show a while back. Now THAT is original.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
looks like fun! And looks like a great workout! You might want to check "meet up" for local dance groups. Another folk dance that comes to mind is contra dancing, and I know there are local & regional gatherings for this group.
Mmm hmm, I'm really big into contra dance but unfortunately I've moved to a place where there aren't as many opportunities. Before when I lived in St Louis I could do contra every weekend and English country dance almost every week and could also meet up at occasional Irish, E. European or Cajun dances, I had plenty of opportunity to exercise, but now I'm in the country and there is a dance 45 min away and only twice a month so I needed something I could do at home. Contra is a blast though and we always have a live band, even here in the country.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 AM

8 posts, read 7,390 times
I have started using Exercise Bands. Found them easy to use and yes, they are effective. They are light weight, portable and you do not need much place to use them. Since my job involves a lot of traveling, I happily go to different places without missing my daily workout..

Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
One component of my weekly fitness program is my lawn care at home. I am in town with just the right size yard, around 1/4 acre. I stopped using all the power equipment and do everything by hand. It is a terrific workout and very mentally relaxing to me as well. I first cut with a reel mower, then trim with a grass whip and long-handled scissors to finish, and then I sweep all my walks. I stick with it to keep my property looking nice and love not having to constantly cart around gas for the power tools. The kids can play outside with me while I do it because rocks aren't flying all around anymore. Sometimes I will actually jog behind the mower to get some intervals in

Old 10-10-2013, 12:23 AM

8 posts, read 7,390 times
Hi Karen, that sounds quite interesting! Working out this way is great! But, since I am always on the move, I do not get much time and space to workout. So, just about 30 min of workout with the exercise bands help a lot.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:23 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Sex is my preferred form of exercise. You can work different parts of the body and oh those intervals.

I'm gonna build an app similar to Strava, but for sex. Then I can compete with my buddies for a PPM (pumps per minute) average. I'm sure they'll blame their dismal PPM rate on their partner though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness