Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,024,536 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been really getting my weight training down pat and have been seeing results. The only thing that worries me is that on the days I don't work out I go out for a run. It's technically not a run, I power walk about 3mph and sprint/jog occasionally to get my heart rate up. It's as though I am going up and down speeds on the treadmill basically. I do this for around 7.4 miles around my neighborhood. There are some slightly elevated hills too. It exhausts me every time but I feel as though I burn a lot of calories.

The reason why it worries me is that when I am done I feel too drained and my skin feels loose, not firm like the days I work out or afterward the next day before I go out for the run.

Why is this? Am I burning too many calories? Is intensive cardio even needed with good weight training regiment? It's too cold to swim so I opt for walking/jogging long distance.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 05:45 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,689,678 times
Never heard of skin being loose so i cant answer that. Too much cardio can be catabolic but there is nothing wrong with doing SOME cardio. I mean your heart is the most important muscle, might as well work it out.

Depending on your weight you are probably burning atleast 600 calories. On average a 150lb person will bern about 90 calories walking each mile. Heavier people will burn more calories. You will burn more calories if your intensity is higher as well. If you are weight training and trying to build muscle you should be eating a caloric surplus anyhow. Just add more food if you feel the need to do that much cardio.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:15 AM

3,823 posts, read 9,488,422 times
Some of the weightlifting gurus that I follow encourage a daily walk with maybe one or two days of sprints thrown in. The biggest thing people forget to do is rest and follow a good diet. If you are feeling drained take some time off or add rest days to your week.

I'm doing a lot of running right now with a little bit of kettlebell work thrown in to get ready for an ultramarathon. Found that I needed to add a protein shake in the afternoon to help fight against losing too much weight. Also make sure that I get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep a night.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 AM

2,166 posts, read 3,603,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Lately I've been really getting my weight training down pat and have been seeing results. The only thing that worries me is that on the days I don't work out I go out for a run. It's technically not a run, I power walk about 3mph and sprint/jog occasionally to get my heart rate up. It's as though I am going up and down speeds on the treadmill basically. I do this for around 7.4 miles around my neighborhood. There are some slightly elevated hills too. It exhausts me every time but I feel as though I burn a lot of calories.

The reason why it worries me is that when I am done I feel too drained and my skin feels loose, not firm like the days I work out or afterward the next day before I go out for the run.

Why is this? Am I burning too many calories? Is intensive cardio even needed with good weight training regiment? It's too cold to swim so I opt for walking/jogging long distance.

Thoughts?
It sounds like you might be dehydrated. Do you carry a water bottle?

Don in Austin

Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,365,602 times
hydrate yourself well and eat more

Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM

I think that's what it is. I need to eat more. The intensive cardio and low eating is probably cutting into my muscle growth.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:47 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think that's what it is. I need to eat more. The intensive cardio and low eating is probably cutting into my muscle growth.
You just answered your own question. If you want to gain muscle size, then stop all cardio, unless when you have sex. You cannot grow while constantly burning excess calories. Whether your goal is loose weight or build muscle stay hydrated, water is a must

Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM

My goal is to get really toned not super buff. What should I do? I just want to look athletic not swol.

I weigh 180 lbs and I'm jogging/walking at 3mph. That should be 700-800 calories right? And my diet consists of four under 500 calorie meals. So I'm eating 2000 calories worth of food but burning off 700. Does this sound like the right way to burn fat and build lean muscle?

Old 12-05-2013, 03:31 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,488,422 times
It's the holidays, take some time off, rest and start a new workout program the beginning of January. Sounds like you might just need a break and come back in two weeks better motivated.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,640,989 times
cardio is useless for the majority of people when doing weight training properly. Only time its worthwhile is if your an athlete playing a sport that requires a high level of cardiovascular endurance.

The calories you burn on the run are nothing compared to what you body burns during a day just to stay alive. People overestimate calories burned from exercise and underestimate calories burned naturally. Much easier and better to moderate your diet to create the energy deficit. 3 mph jogging for 7 miles is not 800 calories, not even close. Losing weight/staying trim is 70-80% diet, 20-30% exercise. Focus your efforts properly.

Its also good not to stress your muscles on rest days in between your workouts. You need to recover, not break down your muscles again(a short walk/stretch session can be a good thing, gets blood pumping which helps your body flush out toxins/waste from your muscles and shuttle nutrients in). 3-4x a week weight training and diet management will get you to your goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness