Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 09:01 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,706 times

Advertisements

So, I've been working out pretty hard for the last few months but I'm getting sick of it and my upper body joints are getting sore not to mention the fact that when I workout it takes time and energy away from my mountain biking. If I stop today, how long before I start noticing a decrease in strength and muscle definition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 04:47 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Probably a week or two.

I primarily train for long, fast hikes, trail running and climbing peaks. So I will do an 8 week or so hypertrophy (armor building for lack of a better term) phase in my off season. Get as strong as I can, put on a few pounds of extra muscle and then do maintenance work the rest of the year. For me kettlebells and bodyweight exercises keep me as strong as I need to be for doing endurance sports.

Now that I'm older I try to take an off week every 4-5 weeks. Cut my workout load in half, catch up on sleep and clean up my diet. Scheduling rest weeks is the key to being able to push it hard the rest of the time.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:01 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,085 times
A lot of it depends on your diet. If you're sick of it,(mentally burned out), then that's sign of overtraining. If your joints are sore you could using too much weight, lifting with bad form, or both.
Often in life we can't have it both ways, for example, someone could not be a bodybuilder and a long distance runner, it would be impossible. If you're trying to build muscle and strength mountain biking is counter productive to that. Plus it could also be why you're overtrained, (based on your symptoms),. Regarding exercise, more is better, better is better.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:37 AM

793 posts, read 1,420,174 times
A month or so.
It's easier ot maintain
you will lose flexibility/neuromuscular adaptation very quickly though.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:37 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Ive read in the realm of 17 days or more, but Im sure that varies on diet and other activities once youve stopped.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:18 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,547 times
As others said, it all depends, however...
In more general terms: you can break your fitness into several components: strength, anaerobic endurance, aerobic endurance, flexibility, technique.
BTW, all those would be applicable to mountain biking (in the actual mountains, not flat terrain)
Now, let's say you stopped training alltogether, but maintain your regular, workout-free lifestyle otherwise.
All those components listed would decay at a different pace.

1. The first to go would be the anaerobic endurance (AE). In case of MB, it would be the ability to do hard, steep climbs for a few minutes or so. AE would noticeably diminish within couple of weeks.
2. Next go go would be the regular endurance - the ability to ride at moderate level for couple of hours or so. I think you'd notice decline within a month or so.
3. The strength would go next. In your case, it would be an all out effort up a super-steep hill for a few seconds, or more typically, lift weights that are close to max. It might last a little longer than regular endurance, maybe couple of months, at levels a bit less than the max, but close to it.
4. Flexibility would be decent for longer than the first 3, but diminish eventually as well.
5. Finally, the technique. Technique is heavily embedded at the neural level, both in the muscles and the brain. Once you acquire it, it often lasts a lifetime. Even if you lose a bit of it, it comes back the fastest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness