Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:17 PM

672 posts, read 701,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Age? Not likely. It's not normal for 19 year-olds to have back problems.
You can have back problems at a young age. When I was 15 years old I had back issues due to excess weight. Lost 30lbs and the back pain went away. Ironically now, near the age of 26 I don't have back problems but I'm about 55-65lbs overweight. But doing High impact exercises or even running is somewhat brutal on the knees. So I'm avoiding those until I lose a significant amount of weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,335,663 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know how to get the weight down. The only form of exercise that I can do is walking.
Then walk. Work yourself up to at least 3 miles a day, in 45 minutes or less. Pay attention to your posture while you're walking.

Also, work to strengthen your abdominal muscles and hamstring muscles.

Watch what you eat - have you changed your diet at all?

Old 02-20-2014, 03:25 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,595,864 times
My lower back pain comes mainly from being large chested. Having a strong core helps to alleviate it some, so does a good bra, a massage therapist and a jacuzzi tub.

Also pay attention to your posture. If you are not standing up straight you can be putting a lot of pressure on your lower back.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:16 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,377,447 times
Perhaps, seeing a Dr/Chiropractor can help you alleviate some pain so you can be more active? you could also, start with your diet to shed some weight if you're unable to exercise.

Someone mentioned biking and or swimming (great low impact exercises) and don't be bothered if you dont look good in a swimsuit; youre not there to model gl

Old 02-20-2014, 05:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,378,476 times
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response! I will tell you how it goes, and hopefully I can write about how much weight I lost.
I sure hope you do! There are few things more inspirational than seeing someone take charge and transform themselves into a fitter, happier person. It's especially encouraging to those of us who did the same thing years ago and we get re-invigorated by seeing someone work hard to make changes now. We'll be rooting for you!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 PM

361 posts, read 726,382 times
I can relate to the lower back pain, although I'm not overweight. At 112 and 5:6, I started feeling lower back pain in high school but when I started swimming, it gradually went away. Several years after, I feel like it's coming back. I recently joined a local gym and usually right after I get home, I feel the pain while sitting-- but I only use cardio machines though, so I don't really understand what's going on.

Since you mentioned that your weight fluctuates, I think that might be the problem. But hey, I'm no doctor so...

Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
In addition to keeping my weight in check, I have to be pretty careful about impact. I do barre workouts (good posture goes a long way), and mini-circuits that consist of elliptical (sprints) + recumbent bike (hills) + treadmill (cool-down). All of these are pretty minimal in terms of pounding, but get great results. Perhaps some of that might work?
I don't know your exercise schedule or regime, if you work and stand or even sit a lot more than walking you actually need to rest more. Exercise is necessary but it may work against your back if stand or sit a lot during the day. Keep the exercise schedule flexible. I would exercise no more than twice a week if you have a busy life because the body needs rest to heal.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,642,244 times
Quote:
170 lbs. to be exact. It's sad to type that because I was 50 lbs. lighter this time last year.

But anyways, thanks for the advice.

Well, I don't know how to get the weight down. The only form of exercise that I can do is walking. Thankfully, my knees don't bother me. Swimming isn't really an option because my paranoia about being so heavy and then having to be in a bathing suit.
getting your weight down isn't about exercise, it's about diet. Being in a caloric deficit consistently over a period of time. So basically, stop eating so much. Exercise is a supplement to diet, not the other way around.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,378,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
getting your weight down isn't about exercise, it's about diet.
It's about both. One feeds the other. Hard to stick to a healthy diet without the endorphins produced by good exercise. Hard to enjoy exercise if you're not eating well. It's about both.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,071,293 times
I have had mid-back pain for several years (I am thin - 127 lbs., 5'9). I went to a chiropractor for a year with no relief, then finally went to physical therapy. The therapist determined that I needed to build up my shoulder, arm and upper back muscles - also added core exercises later. Through a serious of exercises and weights over an 8 week period I lessened my back pain by nearly 100%. I have the equipment and weights (and knowledge of how to use them) at home to carry on the exercises learned in PT - which I am doing. I have no more back pain unless I skimp on my workouts. This is pretty much a miracle for me and on top of that I have buff arms and shoulders now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness