Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:06 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times

Advertisements

I'm dealing with a right shoulder/upper arm injury, so all upper body work is on hold, except for light pulling movements. I've been doing a modified back workout, minus pull-ups.

I can't do compound movements, so no sled push/pull, no deadlifts, no BB squats, no RDLs, no burpees, etc. We don't have a leg sled at my gym. I do have access to db, kb & TRX.

I'm now doing legs 3 times a week, and I need some more ideas. I like to mix things up, as I get easily bored, and I love new & exhilerating movements (like box jumps, hang cleans, DL, etc). HC & DL are on hold.

So far this week, I have already done: goblet squats, lunges, split squats, db step ups, SLDL, PB leg curls, leg extensions, machine leg curls, box jumps, depth jumps & triple breakdown calf raises.

I'm thinking, I could do squat jumps, bosu squats, hip thrusters, Bulgarian squats or wall sits.

What else do you recommend?

Last edited by caligirlz; 03-14-2014 at 12:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I'm a big believer in being able to master 2-3 exercises and doing them extremely well rather than bounce around between a dozen exercises. If I could only do leg exercises I would try to perfect my form on goblet squats, lunges and step ups. If you want to make them harder put on a weighted vest or backpack.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
For the inner thighs, you can't beat this exercise: Sit on the floor with your legs spread and place an ottoman or soft sided chair between then, below the knees but above the ankles. Support yourself with hands flat on the floor slightly behind you. Try to press your legs together, with the chair/ottoman providing the resistance. Repeat (working up to 50 times). You will feel the effect exactly where you want that jiggle to disappear.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm looking for DIFFERENT exercises. I'm not repeating any of the exercises I'm already doing. I don't have the referenced leg jiggle. My ultimate goal is to continue to build strength so I can kick ass when I get back to regular & oly lifting.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
split squat jumps. I love/hate those.

Another one that involves a swiss ball: lay on your back, one foot up on the ball, other outstretched next to the ball. Curl your pelvis up, pulling the ball into your bum. Should destroy your hamstrings when your doing it right, they are what's pulling your pelvis up and the ball inward. If one leg is too hard put both legs up on top.

Good to hear you can do goblets and split squats, those require some upper body if your using any kind of heavy weight.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I'm dealing with a right shoulder/upper arm injury, so all upper body work is on hold, except for light pulling movements. I've been doing a modified back workout, minus pull-ups.

I can't do compound movements, so no sled push/pull, no deadlifts, no BB squats, no RDLs, no burpees, etc. We don't have a leg sled at my gym. I do have access to db, kb & TRX.

I'm now doing legs 3 times a week, and I need some more ideas. I like to mix things up, as I get easily bored, and I love new & exhilerating movements (like box jumps, hang cleans, DL, etc). HC & DL are on hold.

So far this week, I have already done: goblet squats, lunges, split squats, db step ups, SLDL, PB leg curls, leg extensions, machine leg curls, box jumps, depth jumps & triple breakdown calf raises.

I'm thinking, I could do squat jumps, bosu squats, hip thrusters, Bulgarian squats or wall sits.

I can't say welcome to the club because I am not glad to hear that especially having a shoulder injury myself, but I understand the agony and frustration that come with it. Since barbell seems to be out of the question that rules out several key exercises but I would suggest inner and outter thigh machine or if your gym doesn't have those then put a strap around your ankles and hook it up to a cable pulley and do it that way. Hack squat is an excellent alternative to barbell squat and when done properly it will kick your butt, without a hack squat machine you could do it with a barbell but that would somewhat resemble a deadlift and that is a no no for now. Bike riding is great. Walking dumbell lunges are good too. Romanian deadlifts with dumbells are good for hamstrings. Smith machine leg press is an alternative but not my favorite. Take a pair of dumbells or buy a 20 lbs weight vest and go up and down a flight of steps or bleachers several times and your legs will be begging for mercy. If I can think of anything else I will be back here.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
split squat jumps. I love/hate those.

Another one that involves a swiss ball: lay on your back, one foot up on the ball, other outstretched next to the ball. Curl your pelvis up, pulling the ball into your bum. Should destroy your hamstrings when your doing it right, they are what's pulling your pelvis up and the ball inward. If one leg is too hard put both legs up on top.

Good to hear you can do goblets and split squats, those require some upper body if your using any kind of heavy weight.
I'm already doing PB leg curls which is the first exercise you described. I think a variation of that would be with my legs on a box or bench. Or as a 3-8 count movement. I agree, they are killer.

My shoulder was really sore this morning after the multiple box jumps last night, so I'm not all that enthusiastic right now. I'm sure once I get to the gym I will feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I would suggest

inner and outter thigh machine or if your gym doesn't have those then put a strap around your ankles and hook it up to a cable pulley and do it that way.

Hack squat is an excellent alternative to barbell squat and when done properly it will kick your butt, without a hack squat machine you could do it with a barbell but that would somewhat resemble a deadlift and that is a no no for now.
Bike riding is great.
Walking dumbell lunges are good too.
Romanian deadlifts with dumbells are good for hamstrings.
Smith machine leg press is an alternative but not my favorite.
Take a pair of dumbells or buy a 20 lbs weight vest and go up and down a flight of steps or bleachers several times and your legs will be begging for mercy. If I can think of anything else I will be back here.
My gym doesn't have very many of the typical machines. No hack machine either. Absolutely no smith machines, thank goodness.
I ride the spin bike several times a week as it is.
I don't want to invest in any equipment.
I think I will go run stairs at the college near my house this weekend.
Guess I will head over to the gym to see what my trainer has on the list.....

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm sure I will need lots of ideas in the coming weeks.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
For the inner thighs, you can't beat this exercise: Sit on the floor with your legs spread and place an ottoman or soft sided chair between then, below the knees but above the ankles. Support yourself with hands flat on the floor slightly behind you. Try to press your legs together, with the chair/ottoman providing the resistance. Repeat (working up to 50 times). You will feel the effect exactly where you want that jiggle to disappear.
You could do this with an exercise ball also.

You can lie on your back with your legs bent, the exercise ball between them around your knee area. Raise your legs up to a comfortable level. And start squeezing. Remember to not strain your back.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post

I guess you could do squats with a person on your shoulders but that requides a special person and trust

Old 03-14-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I guess you could do squats with a person on your shoulders but that requides a special person and trust
hilarious idea!

keep the good ideas coming as I will be doing this again next week.

I did bosu squats, Bulgarian split squats, bench bridges after 15 minutes on Jacobs Ladder, plus abs.
It was very good. Exhiasted but feeling strong...eating a buffalo burger & sugar snap peas now, then hitting the hay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness