Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,597,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Thanks all!

You guys keep telling me to go to the gym LOL. But my question is, say I need to eat 3000 calories in order to gain weight.. isn't it better that I just eat that 3000 calories and don't workout so I will gain faster? Once I work out, I'm burning off that 3000 calories aren't I?

You need be aware of what taken place within your body, even if your not heavy, being skinny doesnt mean you have any less risk of health conditions, say that a heavy person would have , reason why it's important to gain weight through healthy eating and working out.... What's going on inside , even more important than the outward...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,369,796 times
Start living with your mom. Asian moms can cook some high calorie meals; guaranteed to pack on some poundage

Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,691,367 times
Quote:
Yeah, I plan to stay away from cardio as much as possible haha. I will most definitely do squats! Question, what does low rep high weight mean?

I suggets you get on an established program instead of doing your own thing.
Google starting strength, stronglifts, allpros, or fierce five exercise plans.
They will tell you what weight to start with, when to go up in weight, how many sets and reps to do along with what exercies. They are beginner programs
They can also be found on bodybuilding.com workout forums

Old 03-27-2014, 02:12 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,827,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I suggets you get on an established program instead of doing your own thing.
Google starting strength, stronglifts, allpros, or fierce five exercise plans.
They will tell you what weight to start with, when to go up in weight, how many sets and reps to do along with what exercies. They are beginner programs
They can also be found on bodybuilding.com workout forums
I found this good summary on the stronglift program for women. Starting with the 5x5 is good and eventually work your way to higher weights with fewer sets.

Stronglifts 5x5 Summary | MyFitnessPal.com

Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 PM

167 posts, read 330,442 times
I know how you feel OP, I am 16 years old and 5'10" 110 pounds.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:09 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,827,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyCupChamps2011 View Post
I know how you feel OP, I am 16 years old and 5'10" 110 pounds.
But you're only 16. When I was a senior in HS I was 5'9" and 95 lbs. Everyone is "high school skinny" in high school. I wrestled in the lowest weight class and won 80% of my matches by forfeit because other teams didn't have anyone in my weight class. Anyways, I hear a lot of weight gaining stories around here, but they generally fail to mention that much of the weight they gained was due to a slowing metabolism.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 PM

833 posts, read 1,200,665 times
Quote:
Yeah, I plan to stay away from cardio as much as possible haha. I will most definitely do squats! Question, what does low rep high weight mean?

Haha I know, I'm sure eventually I will start gaining weight! (menopause).. but I want to gain weight NOW haha. I used to be attractive thin before, where I'd actually look good in a summer dress.. I was healthy thin before. But as mentioned, since losing the weight off due to stress, I have such a hard time gaining it all back. I want to look attractive in a bikini.. I don't think I'd care too much if I look attractive at the age of 50
Low rep/high weight means you are using heavier weight, thus you can't do more than 6reps. This burns less calories.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:07 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,377,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I wrestled in the lowest weight class and won 80% of my matches by forfeit because other teams didn't have anyone in my weight class.
LOL!!!!!

I think I wrestled 112 which was just enough do get a good shellaquing form a slightly bigger and much more skilled 112-pounder each week! A friend of mine wrestled 98 lbs and was state champ… he was really good but honestly didn't have much competition in his class. He used to have to work really hard to stay within his class which I'm sure was unhealthy at that age.

I agree that weight comes for almost everyone in time and no one should feel the need to speed that up. But it sounded like the OP was older and still getting thinner. My wife has always been underweight too and the Dr.'s usually tell her to bring it up which kind of stresses her out. I tell her she looks great and don't worry about it. She did do weight work for a while which made a big difference fast since she had no fat, and she put healthy weight on again with each child but now she has to fight to not lose weight all the time because she's so active with he kids all day. We're in our 40's BTW.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,806,815 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Was wondering if you can help me out! All my life I have been super skinny but not until 3 years ago I lost weight due to stress (about -15 pounds) and work.. not eating properly, etc. so I look 100x's worse now! I'm SO desperate to gain weight and don't know what to do. Contrary to everybody else, I cover up myself in clothes because I think I just look sick in tank tops and shorts. It doesn't help that my metabolism is extremely fast as well. I've been the type that easily lose weight and hard as hell to gain I know I should stuff my face with carbs (pasta/bread) but I just don't like to eat those things often. My friend also told me she drank 3 ensure/day (1 with every meal) and I tried that for about a month and didn't see anything change so I stopped.. but she swore she gained 10 lbs by it.

Not sure what to do and looking at myself in the mirror makes me depressed

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm seriously desperate at this point. And no, nothing is physically wrong with my- I don't have a hyperactive thyroid, etc. I just can't gain weight for the life of me!!!
Uh, how old are you??? Enjoy your skinny while it lasts! After 40 (and even 30 for many people) you will be fighting the midlife "battle of the bulge"........

Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 PM

209 posts, read 304,649 times
I'm in the same boat. I recently started doing lots of push-ups and drinking muscle milk...I already see a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness