Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times

Advertisements

Please, let's try to be respectful to all posters. Please, no insults.

I was watching one of those weight loss transformation programs where they follow the person before and after they have gastric bypass surgery. One of the people on the program was describing all of the "crazy" things they had done to lose weight. One thing that they tried was a liquid diet.

When they said that a liquid diet was "crazy" my eyebrow lifted. Here's how I see it.

There are doctors that are still prescribing liquid diets (yes, they are). Today's liquid diet shakes are nutritionally balanced and are perfectly safe to drink and to use as an aid to losing weight. Liquid diets are not easy but I wouldn't call them crazy.

Now, consider what the person is about to do. They are going to get a gastric bypass. They are going to have a doctor go in and cut up a perfectly healthy digestive system in order to help them lose weight.

So what's crazier? Drinking shakes or having your healthy digestive system mangled?

Now, I know that people are going to say that shakes aren't effective and that the surgery works better long term. That may have some validity but there are gastric bypass patients that lose and regain hundreds of pounds. So there are no permanent guarantees with any option.

But effectiveness is not the purpose of this thread. I'm strictly asking about "craziness."

Which do you think is crazier or extreme? A liquid diet or surgery?

By the way, I am not "judging" anyone who has had the surgery. That's your business and your personal choice. I have no problem with it. I just thought it was strange to call the surgery okay but call a liquid diet crazy.

I am not ridiculing obese people. I personally have a significant amount of weight to lose so I empathize with anyone trying to lose large amounts of weight.

And yeah, diet and exercise works great. Again, this thread was inspired by the statement made in the TV program.

Last edited by charlygal; 05-16-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 07:40 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,903 times
I'd say surgery, just because it's so permanent. you can try a liquid diet for a week or two and then drop it, the surgery is something you are stuck with.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:56 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
surgery of course.

personally, what I find crazier is someone getting to that point where they're on a strict liquid diet and possible surgery in order to save their life from obesity.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
personally, what I find crazier is someone getting to that point where they're on a strict liquid diet and possible surgery in order to save their life from obesity.
It happens because of the same reason why YOU have found yourself in some strange life situation. It's life. It happens.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:02 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It happens because of the same reason why YOU have found yourself in some strange life situation. It's life. It happens.
I can see that, things can sneak up on you without you noticing. but with obesity, it's so in your face. Your clothes will stop fitting, you will have to go buy new clothes(hard to ignore that), etc. It doesn't sneak up on people, they just don't seem to care enough to do anything about it. Or they are stuck in a fixed mindset and don't believe they can do anything about it (which doesn't make sense, because they are continually growing fatter, stands to reason one can go the opposite direction too).

I don't know how people don't notice or do something about 80 extra pounds of body fat until it's already there. Once I get to about 3-5 extra pounds I commit to throttling back on excess calorie consumption. I hate the feeling of being fat, drives me nuts.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Surgery is always the crazier and more extreme thing to do.

Voluntary surgery is crazy because it says that the person is either unable or unwilling to do what is needed to make themselves healthier and happier. Things like eating right and exercise are the things this person wants to avoid. Surgery for this person is crazy and super extreme.

Mandatory surgery is also crazy because it says that the person was unable to control themselves, blamed their obesity on a mental illness like depression, or has a team of enablers surrounding them who do/did nothing good for them. Watching that my 500 lb life show and you see tons (pun intended) of people like this. Blaming depression, failed relationships, "momma who always fed me good food when growing up", and being surrounded by bobble headed enablers who continue to help that person kill themselves.

People should try eating right and exercising because it WORKS!!!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:50 PM

It is always so much healthier to eat right and exercise than to go under the knife. But people are lazy.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
The OP pretty much answered his own question. It is not the reason why people get gastric by-pass surgery.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:17 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,849 times
If someone struggles with controlling their eating and exercise habits and never makes any real progress over the course of decades, and then they get surgery and end up with the control they lacked before, then good for them. I'd much rather do it the natural way personally, but if it works, who am I to say that it's crazy. One thing's for sure, I don't consider people with a serious weight problem to just be lazy. There are many factors involved when a person is 50-100 lbs overweight... genetics, upbringing, work/life balance, self esteem all play a role and can multiply off each other for good or bad.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
If someone struggles with controlling their eating and exercise habits and never makes any real progress over the course of decades, and then they get surgery and end up with the control they lacked before, then good for them..
This is the biggest bunch a malarkey that Ive ever heard. Its EASY to control what you eat. People just don't want to and start blaming it on ridiculously stupid things like "Oh, I have depression so I eat" or "My depression meds make me crave food". I say B. friggin' S.!!!

Stop buying horrible food. Stop eating horrible food. Just STOP. I did it.

Bacon tastes delicious. Cake is delicious. Bread with butter spread is delicious. I stopped eating all of this crap because IT IS BAD FOR ME. Just like that I stopped. I didn't blame my "depression" for anything. If you ate right, exercised, and cut out all the horrible crap you eat out of your diet you will not have depression.

I always get so disgusted when people continue to eat crap they know they shouldn't eat, then blame it on depression or depression meds. Stupid.

Its EASY to control what you eat. Just lean what it healthy and eat that. No one handcuffs you, strap you in a chair and force feed you crappy food. YOU DO!! Just stop eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness