Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,430,089 times

Advertisements

Heres what works for me. As well as all my other working out and exercise. Specific intense various ab work no less that 4 days a week. 5-10 mins each workout, using exercises that target all areas.

About a year ago the state of my abs slipped, due to going through a phase of doing the above only once a week! it goes to show abs require very regular stimulation.

Of course eating clean and not over eating a big key too.

Those of you who also have abs in good nick. What are your keys for keeping them that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 05:25 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Mainly diet. I exercise my core twice a week (1hour grueling sessions) with heavy cable crunches, squats, standing ab wheel roll-outs, to name a few. I also do a lot of cardio on top of my strength training. I have found my abs are the hardest set of muscles to train.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:32 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
Diet, front squats, kettlebell swings and loaded carries are pretty much all I need. I'm pushing 50 and have fairly well defined abs. Only way I could get them more defined would get really anal about my diet and stop drinking beer, which isn't going to happen.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I have found my abs are the hardest set of muscles to train.
Same for me. Also, I actually enjoy most of the weight training I do. Not so the ab work, but it has to be done. Hell, I even enjoy most cardio over the ab work.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Diet, front squats, kettlebell swings and loaded carries are pretty much all I need. I'm pushing 50 and have fairly well defined abs. Only way I could get them more defined would get really anal about my diet and stop drinking beer, which isn't going to happen.
Good stuff. So you don't do any specific ab work? If not, have you ever done specific ab work, to help get them in the good shape they are in?

Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,287 times
I haven't done any core ab workouts regularly in years. They are hit indirectly with squats and other exercises. Last week I started doing some roman chairs on my lunch break at work, unsure if I'll keep with it.

The main thing is diet. Everyone has abs, they just don't show unless your bodyfat is low enough. Some people only genetically have 2, 4, 6, 8 packs.. Depends on their torso and genetics.

Look at the current Mr. Olympia, Phil Heath. He only has a very defined "4-pack" and then a large "ab" on the bottom.

Look at one of my favorites, Flex Wheeler, he has a perfectly defined 6-pack.

My abs look pretty good. I could lose a few % BF and I'm cutting right now. I'm probably around 10-12% and want to get to about 6-8%.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I haven't done any core ab workouts regularly in years. They are hit indirectly with squats and other exercises. Last week I started doing some roman chairs on my lunch break at work, unsure if I'll keep with it.

The main thing is diet. Everyone has abs, they just don't show unless your bodyfat is low enough. Some people only genetically have 2, 4, 6, 8 packs.. Depends on their torso and genetics.

Look at the current Mr. Olympia, Phil Heath. He only has a very defined "4-pack" and then a large "ab" on the bottom.

Look at one of my favorites, Flex Wheeler, he has a perfectly defined 6-pack.

My abs look pretty good. I could lose a few % BF and I'm cutting right now. I'm probably around 10-12% and want to get to about 6-8%.
Same body fat as me, mine is 11-12%. I have no desire to get much lower though. Its about maintaining that or maybe getting to 10% but no less.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Good stuff. So you don't do any specific ab work? If not, have you ever done specific ab work, to help get them in the good shape they are in?
Nope, about the only other thing I left off the list was Turkish Get Ups. But it's kettlebell swings that give me the most definition.

I don't train to look good in the mirror, train for trail running and hard hiking. So the squats, loaded carries, TGU's and swings are what work best for me in the core department.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Same for me. Also, I actually enjoy most of the weight training I do. Not so the ab work, but it has to be done. Hell, I even enjoy most cardio over the ab work.
I know a lot of people hate ab workouts, and for good reason; the shyte burns and hurts, lol. Personally, I love it, its my favorite workout. A strong core is so beneficial; it keeps you safe from other training injuries (like squatting injuries)

I do a lot of running (50-60miles a week) cycling and swimming, so my body fat is always kept low. Once you get around/below 10% bf, your body will constantly beg you for carbs. I dont think I can get below 8%, not without the aid of diuretics/steroids, etc. I think its naturally unsustainable, and quite dangerous.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,716 times
As others have said, it's primarily dieting. After barely being able to see my abs for over a year I finally decided to adjust my diet and eat properly starting back in May. The abs are now well defined again and my six pack looks even better than it did at 21. I did an elevated amount do cardio for about 8 weeks back in June and July, increasing my running to around 15-20 miles per week in order to reduce the body fat as quickly as possible. The upper abs appeared and hardened rather quickly. It wasn't until early august that I finally got those pesky lower abs to come back out of hiding. I'd estimate that I'm around 11-12% right now and it looks good. Don't really want to get any lower. Just to maintain at this point. I do ab specific exercises maybe once or twice per week depending on how I feel.

Currently I've reduced my running to around 5-7 miles per week, do weight training 5 times a week, and have a few alcoholic drinks and an unhealthy meal or two on the weekends and it's working well. The abs looks great and I've gotten good feedback from others.

Bottom line is pretty much to practice discipline in the diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness