Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 PM

155 posts, read 165,507 times

Advertisements

I have hyperhidrosis and the doctor said that this is something momentary and the only way to avoid excessive sweat during this phase woud be by doing a surgery, I have been using social shirts with a t shirt under it to hide the sweat under the arms, although last friday was hot and the sweat went through both shirts leaving sweat marks, since the body usually sweats more when it is hot, will losing Fat while gaining muscles help to make the body to feel cooler and sweat less?

I have noticed that when some parts of the body are covered like arms it makes the body to feel hotter, besides the arms with other parts of the body usually help to increase the hotness sensation in the body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
I have no studies I can cite to back this up, but my understanding is the more fit you are, the earlier you start sweating because your body has become more efficient at everything, including cooling itself off.

Re. Body parts: if it's covered with hair, it'll sweat more, so head, armpits, crotch- sweatier.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:00 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Being in better shape might help you sweat less. Being accustomed to warmer temps also can help. With long sleeves it matters what kind of fabric you have on. Synthetics tend to trap heat as does wool. Cotton OTOh is usually much cooler.

With your particular issue I am not sure if weight loss would help but expect it can't hurt.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:28 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
It is not that fat people sweat more, it is that most fat people are also really out of shape, so many things, even normal daily actions, require more exertion on their part, which creates more heat which leads to sweating. For example, a fit person walks up four flights of stairs no problem, but the fat person walks up those stairs and is out of breather and developing sweat beads on his head. Now I say "fat", but really out of shape people, it is just that with fat people, besides many of them being out of shape, they are carrying a large amount of useless weight on them, making daily actions even more of an effort for them on top of them being out of shape.

Past that, people just seem to be different, I know great in shape guys who sweat just walking outside for a few minutes in the heat, yet know a woman who is not an athlete or anything, but low body fat, who takes forever to even get a little sweaty.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is not that fat people sweat more, it is that most fat people are also really out of shape, so many things, even normal daily actions, require more exertion on their part, which creates more heat which leads to sweating. For example, a fit person walks up four flights of stairs no problem, but the fat person walks up those stairs and is out of breather and developing sweat beads on his head. Now I say "fat", but really out of shape people, it is just that with fat people, besides many of them being out of shape, they are carrying a large amount of useless weight on them, making daily actions even more of an effort for them on top of them being out of shape.

Past that, people just seem to be different, I know great in shape guys who sweat just walking outside for a few minutes in the heat, yet know a woman who is not an athlete or anything, but low body fat, who takes forever to even get a little sweaty.
This is all true. Studies show that different people have different sweat rates, and the variance can be pretty drastic. Also I've always noticed not just overweight guys, but big guys in general want the fans turned on full blast when it gets just a little bit warm. Moving more mass, whether it's muscle or fat=more exertion and more sweat.

But I work w/ one guy who is very overweight, and is constantly overheated even when just sitting at a conference table talking. He'll have the AC cranked up such that I learned to bring a sweat shirt along to meetings. He always grabs a paper or something to fan himself even when there is virtually zero exertion. Somebody bought him one of those Japanese folding fans and gave it to him as a joke--he put it to good use. He is a great guy and took it in stride.

But anyway, I theorize that the problem here is that the extra fat acts as insulation and makes it very difficult for the body to cool down. If that theory is right, then indeed losing weight would tend to reduce sweating. One more reason to lose the extra weight.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:24 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I'm in very good shape. I've been thinner than I am now. I've been heavier than I am now. The best shape ive ever been in was late teens (like many folks).

None of it matters. I was born to sweat.

Some of my family and friends joke with me saying I could be a furnace. You put me in a standard-sized room and in an hour I'll have dramatically raised the temperature in it just by sitting there.

I'm the guy that wears shorts when it's -5 outside.

And once I start sweating I GUSH. It will go on forever.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,699 times
Bad news is when you're in better shape, you still sweat a lot. I'm in good shape and I sweat no matter what. We need to keep the house at 67 with a fan on me at night just so I can fall asleep since I'm so dam hot all the time.

Good news is when you're in shape and look good, no one cares. Sweaty pits? Who cares, I'm too busy being awesome

Old 08-30-2014, 10:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is all true. Studies show that different people have different sweat rates, and the variance can be pretty drastic. Also I've always noticed not just overweight guys, but big guys in general want the fans turned on full blast when it gets just a little bit warm. Moving more mass, whether it's muscle or fat=more exertion and more sweat.

But I work w/ one guy who is very overweight, and is constantly overheated even when just sitting at a conference table talking. He'll have the AC cranked up such that I learned to bring a sweat shirt along to meetings. He always grabs a paper or something to fan himself even when there is virtually zero exertion. Somebody bought him one of those Japanese folding fans and gave it to him as a joke--he put it to good use. He is a great guy and took it in stride.

But anyway, I theorize that the problem here is that the extra fat acts as insulation and makes it very difficult for the body to cool down. If that theory is right, then indeed losing weight would tend to reduce sweating. One more reason to lose the extra weight.
I have not found this to play out in real life. We vacationed with friends of ours at Disney World a few years ago. Mrs. Friend was much, much heavier than I am and a perfect stranger to any workouts.

Yet ~ there we sat at an outdoor theatre, me with sweat running down the back of my neck until my hair was wet and she was cool as a cucumber.

Drove me insane.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
The body is cooled mostly via sweating (skin)

Larger (heavier and/or taller) people have more cubic inches of body mass generating heat than smaller people. As a human increases in size, the surface area of the skin will not increase in sufficient to the proportion of body mass. Smaller people are more efficient at cooling themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness