Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times

Advertisements

I have different playlists and moods for running, so I choose accordingly. I have a whole playlist of really quick tempo stuff (Think "Devil Went Down to Georgia" speed), a whole playlist of mellow music for recovery days/walks, a dance music playlist, a country playlist, even a Christian music playlist. Or I can shuffle the whole darn thing and make it a huge variety. I will even choose the "exercise mixes" of popular songs because they have a faster tempo and I don't care if it is not the original artist doing the voice, I just want to move to the beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 PM

84 posts, read 100,225 times
The kind of music that gets me moving is the kind I wouldn't ordinarily listen to otherwise - M.C. Hammer's "Can't Touch This," Young MC's "Bust a Move," and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" are a few examples.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:40 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times

Old 11-30-2014, 06:53 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have def noticed myself walking much faster when more upbeat/ fast music is playing. I listen to Pandora and I have a bunch of different music on there.

Is there a certain station you use for walking/jogging/running?

If so, care to share?
I stopped listening to music and started to listen to podcasts on topics that are interesting to me. I'm into body hacking and thus it makes sense for me to try to stimulate my mind vs just listening to repetitive lyrics of songs. I find it makes my workouts much better and time fly by to actually stimulate my mind vs listening to music and I recommend it to others who ask what I am listening to.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
My workouts don't vary regardless of music. I think it's a personal thing so you have to do what works for you. In my case, my workouts are for building me.

I've noticed some people take out frustrations or get pissed off listening to really fast or angry music. If that works for them, fine.

Whatever it is, wear headphones. I don't want to hear someone else's ****ty music.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I like classic rock but hate it when you are moving right along and then a slower song comes on that makes you sluggish. Ever since I took an aerobics class in the 80s where they played Simply Irresistible for one of our routines, I have though it was the perfect song for working out. It's not really classic rock & roll (that's more 70s music), but I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6j6eZ0kLM

Old 12-01-2014, 10:27 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Whatever it is, wear headphones. I don't want to hear someone else's ****ty music.
There are at least 2 people who walk around my gym with a bluetooth boombox so they don't have to wear headphones. So I get to listen to not only the terrible gym music, but their even more terrible rap/hip hop simultaneously.

I've become a fan of listening to TEDtalks during cardio.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 PM

338 posts, read 421,352 times
I usually run a directory of easy listening on the PDA: Percy Faith, Hank Mancini, Andy Williams, that kinda stuff. I don't jog or run (are you kidding; with my bad knees?) but that's what I often listen to when walking or riding the Mongoose. That's if I'm not listening to 70s/80s/90s soft rock or 60s/70s psychedelic rock (or both.)

Quote:
"Is there a certain station you use for walking/jogging/running?"
No; I don't listen to terrestrial radio these days if I can avoid it. Portland radio is such stale, repetetive crap that it makes one wonder why the hell they're even still on the air. Despite the ad copy, Pandora (or any other Internet-based audio service) does not have stations, it has streams derived from dynamic playlists that are generated on the fly. A stream can only legitimately be called a "station" if it's a simulcast of a terrestrial radio broadcast, like this: http://stream.dnsgb.net:8040/listen.pls

Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have def noticed myself walking much faster when more upbeat/ fast music is playing. I listen to Pandora and I have a bunch of different music on there.

Is there a certain station you use for walking/jogging/running?

If so, care to share?
Battle Music does it for me. Quick Step Regimental Marches like Sambre et Meuse. Some of the music maybe too Nationalistic for some tastes.

Of course, the Ride of the Valkyries because we all love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Fast paced classic rock is fine as well. I Can't Drive 55, Back on the Road Again,etc.etc.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 AM

103 posts, read 124,632 times
I listen to indie electronic music, esp. chillwave and dream pop and that's considered "upbeat" to me. I tend to have a lot of energy all the time, but when I listen to music, I will move 2x as fast and accomplish much more. You can try typing in "The Generationals" station and see if you like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness