Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:21 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
One person that comes to mind is Channing Tatum. He is decently sized, proportioned, but he is lacking the "hardness" and vascularity that someone like Hugh Jackman has. You don't get that paper thin, skin tight skin naturally.
I always thought Channing had that soft look to him. I know he's in great shape but he never impressed me with his physique.

Your thoughts on the following actors and if they took that little 'extra' for their movie roles.

Christian Bale for Batman Begins(I know he has dropped/gained weight numerous times for roles)
Chris Evans for Captain America Winter Soldier(he's always been in great shape from the beginning)
Chris Hemsworth for Thor
Matthew McConaughey in general. Always lean even though he's pushing 45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:34 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

Kings Gambit seems like the person who probably thinks steroids are overly dangerous and can't be used safely. By the way, KG, I love how you included the shameless plug about yourself being a celebrity trainer.
I see. So this thread isnt about someone seeking intellectual and factual conversation on a topic that they need clarification on. Its about having an opinion, looking for those who share your opinion, and just rebuffing those who are in the know about what is really going on when you find that their opinion differs from yours. Got it jack.

Steroid use for regular people is just stupid.

Dave Tate and I share the exact same opinion on steriods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBOpXBfw0sE

But to answer your original question again, I think most celebs (especially those two you listed) DO do things the natural (i.e., no steriods) way.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I see. So this thread isnt about someone seeking intellectual and factual conversation on a topic that they need clarification on. Its about having an opinion, looking for those who share your opinion, and just rebuffing those who are in the know about what is really going on when you find that their opinion differs from yours. Got it jack.
No, appealing to yourself as an authority is a great way to not be taken seriously. Again, if Tracy Anderson, a celebrity trainer who is known probably a little more than you, came in here and said that all it takes is lifting 3 lb. dumbbells and eating less than 1000 calories, I'm sure even you would look at her suspect and probably discount her testimony despite her status, amirite?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:42 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Look, I know the burden of proof is upon the claimant. I get that. I am not claiming that celebs use roids to get enhanced for their roles. However, with their clout, their money, their NEED, their age, and their tight schedules, I don't see why they wouldn't. If you can pay for plastic surgery (how natural is that?), why wouldn't you pay the right chemist to make a safe enough cocktail for you?

It's like, celebrities aren't AVERAGE people. Regular people have no need for steroids unless their livelihood depends on it. Celebrities happen to be at times people whose livelihood depends on their appearance. In fact, some celebs are known to use clenbuterol. I know technically clen isn't a steroid, but I see no reason why they can't go further. Who is going to do anything about it? Some looks are just too hard, grainy, and 3d-like and can't be achieved naturally.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...ticle-1.286090

Old 10-29-2014, 03:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I always thought Channing had that soft look to him. I know he's in great shape but he never impressed me with his physique.

Your thoughts on the following actors and if they took that little 'extra' for their movie roles.

Christian Bale for Batman Begins(I know he has dropped/gained weight numerous times for roles)
Chris Evans for Captain America Winter Soldier(he's always been in great shape from the beginning)
Chris Hemsworth for Thor
Matthew McConaughey in general. Always lean even though he's pushing 45
I wasn't quite sure of these guys physiques so I looked them up to get a better idea in those specific roles.

Christian Bale in Batman Begins. His physique there could likely be obtained naturally for someone that naturally has a larger body type. He isn't overly cut or vascular, nice but faint abs, maybe around 12%-14% BF. For the right person and enough time, could DEFINITELY be obtained naturally.

Here's what makes me skeptical - him in the movie The Machinist and some others. He was like 120lbs. It takes a certain bodytype to ever be able to get down as small as he did. Plus, that's 1000x less healthy than steroid usage, so obviously he is willing to push his health a bit.

Another thing that would make me skeptical, is how long it took him to get to that size. He is a bit smaller than where I am now, but it took 3 HARD years to go from 170lbs to 215lbs. If he did it in 6 months, or even 1 year, I would be skeptical, because I know my work ethic and diet is very very good (even by "celebrity trainer" standards)

So for him - there - it could go either way for sure. Could be obtained naturally over time.

Chris Evans - Captain America - Could be obtained naturally with a lot of work and some time. Or with steroids and 1/4 the amount of time.

Chris Hemsworth - thor - While I wasn't sure and couldn't quite tell what his actual bodytype is, I found this picture - http://healthy-consumer.com/news/men...es/chris02.jpg

That is 100% steroids. Zero chance ANYONE can gain 30-40lbs of LEAN MASS in a year without steroids. 10-15 lbs would be about the most an amateur could do, maybeeeeee 20.. That first picture shows his natural body type, which is pretty dang lean.

Matthew Mcconaughey - Eh, likely natural but maybe some illegal fat burners, or possibly HGH. I think him and Lance Armstrong are good friends, but low levels of HGH are more for anti aging and fat loss, and honestly, I think after 40 or 50 every person SHOULD take that at low dosages for the health and anti aging effects..

Old 10-29-2014, 03:10 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,850 times
This guy is saying 100% what I said, backed by more actual science and research. His facts here that he states are spot on. Wow, I rarely agree with many people lol.

Do Actors Use Steroids to Prepare for Movie Roles? | Muscle For Life

Old 10-29-2014, 11:07 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
Quote:
I find it so odd that everyone willingly accepts the fact that celebrities can be hopped up on drugs just to simply exist, yet I feel that whenever I mention that actors may very well use weight loss drugs or steroids to be in shape for roles they scoff as if they believed that celebrities are all of a sudden moral authorities and that they would never do things THAT way.

To be fair I don't think steroids or other illegal aides in body composition goals are immoral. I believe if someone has the resources to buy steroids, they can do whatever they want with their body.

However, if you look at how jacked Hugh Jackman gets for his roles so quickly, or how fast middle aged Ben Affleck is in shape for Batman, you really wonder what is stopping them from using illegal drugs to get in shape? If Hollywood actors are able to use drugs like cocaine and heroin I see no reason why steroids or other illegal body composition enhancing drugs would be out of reach or "wrong" to them. I remember back when The Office was on and how quickly a truly pregnant Jenna Fischer (Pam Halpert) lost so much weight post-baby. I was talking about this with someone and their response was "well celebs can afford all the personal training in the world so this is why". Of course they can and do, but I also don't see what is so far-fetched about celebs getting in shape in lightning fast time by simply just "eating right and exercising". Especially middle aged celebrities. All people 35 and up know for a fact it is no fast process to lose weight.

Anyway, I just wonder what you guys think about this.

P.S. Before anyone starts to argue with me about the meaning of "natural", I realize androgenic anabolic steroids are made from natural compounds. I meant "natural" (and I put quotes for a reason) in the sense that organizations that ban drugs such as steroids call "natural".
I am well aware of it. HGH is great but won't give the huge results of test stacked with others. Cut up with some Winnies and you have physique. How did Arnold and Lou acheive those bodies? Ever met a really BIG NFL player? I mean 300+ lbs.

I don't know why some are concerned about PEDs when a plastic surgeon can scar you for life if not end it in an OR. PEDs are a personal choice as is smoking, drinking or driving a car. The nanny crap has to end.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,117 times
Quote:
No, appealing to yourself as an authority is a great way to not be taken seriously. Again, if Tracy Anderson, a celebrity trainer who is known probably a little more than you, came in here and said that all it takes is lifting 3 lb. dumbbells and eating less than 1000 calories, I'm sure even you would look at her suspect and probably discount her testimony despite her status, amirite?
Tracy Anderson has "controversial" methods of weight loss/exercise, though I do like her philosophy. I'm short so I'll never look lanky, but I'd like to look lanky and skinny. She keeps her clients from gaining muscle, which is good since i'm a girl

Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
They do 'roids. Anyone who thinks these celebs naturally bulk up for roles is delusional. Christian Bale didn't go from a skinny twerp in The Machinist to a buff Batman in BB by hitting the gym everyday for six months. No way Jose without some juice.

Edward Norton in American History X, same thing. Even Arnie recognized the guy was hitting the juice. Norton swore up and down he spent two to three months in the gym and ate lots of steaks. Bull.

Why does this revelation shock people? Hollywood is not real guys. It's an industry. Celebs need to cut corners to prepare for roles and they don't have time to screw around bulking up naturally. I'm sure they have trainers and nutritionists but they also take some juice too.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:13 AM

6,384 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am sure it's mixed. There are definitely actors who know how to put muscle in and work with trainers and nutritionists to help them.
I think it's this. ^

If i had all or that disposable income, I'd probably be doing it to as long as it was "safe."

People make too big of a moral issue regarding plastic surgery and body enhancement. Maybe if we didn't, "celebrities" could be more forthcoming.

I mean, think about it, how many people want to do things the hard way if there is an easy way? (CD posters excluded.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness