Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have needed to lose weight for about the last two years but I have a boring desk job, where i rarely get up. I work from 9 to 6 and then I pick up my toddler, get him home, feed and bathe him, put him to bed and try to prepare for the next day, it's time to go to bed.

I really want to work out, but with the time change it's dark by the time I get home. His daycare opens only one hour before I have to be to work and the nearby gyms don't offer daycare.

Are there any exercises I can do while sitting at my desk? I walk on the weekends but I feel it's a waste since Monday- Friday I'm chained to my desk.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
buy a bouncy/exercise ball and use that instead of a work chair

Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Hi all,

I have needed to lose weight for about the last two years but I have a boring desk job, where i rarely get up. I work from 9 to 6 and then I pick up my toddler, get him home, feed and bathe him, put him to bed and try to prepare for the next day, it's time to go to bed.

I really want to work out, but with the time change it's dark by the time I get home. His daycare opens only one hour before I have to be to work and the nearby gyms don't offer daycare.

Are there any exercises I can do while sitting at my desk? I walk on the weekends but I feel it's a waste since Monday- Friday I'm chained to my desk.

Thanks!

I know you say you are chained to your desk but do you get a lunch break? Can you go for a walk then? Even if it is just for 15 minutes that is better than nothing.

Also, I know yo are busy at night but is there anyway you get get an exercise dvd and squeeze it in at night or in the morning?

Nicole

Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
workout in the morning..before anyone else if up, you could get an hour in daily if u got up at 5am?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
I am in the same situation, but I bet you can take at least two 15 minute breaks a day or at least 30 minutes at some point..yes? Take a walk around the building or if you work in a large building - take a brisk walk around the corridors. Would that work for you?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Great advice by the folks here. If you're anything like me, waking up at 5:00am is next to impossible but a great idea if you can do it.

Are there any gyms close to your work? If so, a lunchtime trip to the gym would be your best bet. Also, since you have a toddler, maybe when he/she goes to bed at 8:00 or 9:00 maybe you can do your workout then?

If you want ideas for an indoor at-home workout without equipment let me know. I'll be happy to help you.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:11 PM

95 posts, read 380,467 times
THANK you for starting this thread! I am now in same situation, and I am more tired than when I had an outdoor, phsyically demanding job. It was so much easier to keep moving after a day on the go, than it is when you have to sit at a desk all day!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:33 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,696 times
Great post natalay!

I am another one in the same position. Stupid desk job, but I do not get breaks at my work. I am the only one to do my job & my butt cannot leave that chair.

Our routine is so similar.

I flex my "cheeks" all day long! I swear it! It helps the buns.

Do you live near any stores/convenience marts/shopping places that you go to? If so, walk to them on weekends if you need something. That's what my son & I do. Good think my husband works weekends, bc if he didn't then our motivation would be lost!

I need to either wake up early or do a tape at night, but I hate my hubby watching & there is no privacy at my house.

Good luck to you! You will find something that works if you put you mind to it & I need to take my own advice!
Great post!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
buy a bouncy/exercise ball and use that instead of a work chair
A guy I work with (and fellow road cyclist) does this exact same thing.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Great advice by the folks here. If you're anything like me, waking up at 5:00am is next to impossible but a great idea if you can do it.

Are there any gyms close to your work? If so, a lunchtime trip to the gym would be your best bet. Also, since you have a toddler, maybe when he/she goes to bed at 8:00 or 9:00 maybe you can do your workout then?

If you want ideas for an indoor at-home workout without equipment let me know. I'll be happy to help you.
Thanks for all the tips!

I don't think the bouncy chair would work for me as my desk is the 1st thing visitors see and I doubt my employers would go for that. I do get two 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch, but I rarley take the breaks and I usually eat lunch at my desk while I'm working because of my workload.

There's a small month-to-month gym right by my job, but I'd have to try to find a daycare that opens earlier so I could get a decent workout.

I think my best bet would be to work out after he's gone to sleep and just resign myself to getting up earlier in the morning instead of trying to do everything at night so I can sleep later.

I would love some tips on exercises I can do at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness