Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:28 PM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

I was going to recommend Isopure as well....the flavored drinks in the glass bottles. Low sodium, whey protein isolate so shouldn't have GI issues, it tastes decent and I think each bottle contains 40g of protein. Also, zero sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 12:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I would like to buy a few of these specifically for surgery recovery. I don't normally do any of this I eat ok, but they recommend amping up your protein by 20 or 30gs, I've even seen Dr's recommend 100gs (total) a day! And I might not feel like eating much the first couple of days (though I haven't run into much that knocks me off my feed so far

I did some googling and found conflicting recommendations. One talked about a different kind of protein vs. just whey. One that was recommended on one site/blog was slammed for too much suger or something on another (I think Bolthouse was one of these).

I would like a fairly high amount of protein, low sodium because I don't want to increase swelling which will be a problem already. Not as concerned about the sugar since this will only be for a week.
I bought two ISOPURE 40g drinks, sort of look like kool aid. Maybe I can add it to water throughout the day.

Any recommendations?
you wouldnt add that isopure product to water, its ready to drink as it is. isopure has been around for a long time and id trust it.

but for your specific situation, id choose something different than what i do. you dont want to get ripped off like that clinical stuff but why not enjoy some extra calories and a delicious product? if i were you, id order some muscle milk blueberries and cream and/or banana creme. they used to have root beer float which was awesome, its a shame they got rid of it. i havent used it in a long time but i remember it being super delicious. its got a little extra fat than a pure protein powder but who cares? you are just recovering and the extra fat is probably good. muscle milk says its "good fat" but im always skeptical about claims like that.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-05-2015 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Yeah, go to a GNC and get muscle milk.

If you have a blender then just go to GNC and ask for the quality whey protein powders, pick out your chosen flavor (I go as chocolate-y as possible), use milk and throw a banana in as well, makes for a super tasty shake.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM

im not sure if pricing at gnc is more competitive with the internet these days than it used to be. i always buy protein online.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:58 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Quest Protein Bars.

Cleanest profile of any bar I've seen, nothing like a candy bar.
Yes, they are. The consistency is much like the old power bars...it's weird....almost rubbery. Damn good flavor. Too good. The chocolate brownie is the most like real food, consistency wise. They have every sweet type of flavor you'd ever want...lemon, strawberry cheesecake, cinnamon bun, oreo, chocolate peanut butter...yea, nothing like a candy bar. Bahahahaha

Protein Bars

I prefer Vitamin Shop for local purchases.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:33 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Thank you!
I realized after maybe supplements would have been a better forum but I thought people who exericise a lot would have most experience.
I'll try to find some Quest bars.

Meanwhile the shake thing is water under the bridge, while at GNC I got tired of trying to figure out what had the most/best of whatever and bought some of the GNC premixed protein drinks although they aren't as high in protein as some. Haven't tried them. Will just try to gag one down a day if I don't like them. I picked up 2 4 packs. One a day with some ISOPURE should be enough. Will pick up a couple more of the ISOPURE.
I know it isn't meant to mix with water but I thought that would be one way to get in some of both.

I won't be able to lift anything or use my arms much so cooking etc. will be hard and I'll be pretty tired. That's why I'm looking to supplement my protein since its supposed to be important for healing. I'm not sick, but its more intense that some people may realize. Its a BREAST REDUCTION

Old 01-06-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Thank you!
I realized after maybe supplements would have been a better forum but I thought people who exericise a lot would have most experience.
I'll try to find some Quest bars.

Meanwhile the shake thing is water under the bridge, while at GNC I got tired of trying to figure out what had the most/best of whatever and bought some of the GNC premixed protein drinks although they aren't as high in protein as some. Haven't tried them. Will just try to gag one down a day if I don't like them. I picked up 2 4 packs. One a day with some ISOPURE should be enough. Will pick up a couple more of the ISOPURE.
I know it isn't meant to mix with water but I thought that would be one way to get in some of both.

I won't be able to lift anything or use my arms much so cooking etc. will be hard and I'll be pretty tired. That's why I'm looking to supplement my protein since its supposed to be important for healing. I'm not sick, but its more intense that some people may realize. Its a BREAST REDUCTION
maybe im wrong, but i feel like your perception of what the isopure is, is not accurate. it seems like you the its some kind of pure protein syrup that you can add to another drink to increase its protein content. its really just a pre-mix of protein powder and water just like the other premixed protein drinks. so adding isopure to your other drinks is like mixing 2 pre-mixed drinks together, adding it to water will just be a watered down protein drink. you would be better off just adding milk to the protein drink.

i dont buy bars. once you are getting a bar you may as well get a snickers. the protein bars are no better nutrition and taste way worse.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:23 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
No I know its not protein syrup - I know it will be watered down protein drink. Some people water down their juice. I'm going to water down my isopure.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:01 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
once you are getting a bar you may as well get a snickers. the protein bars are no better nutrition and taste way worse.
Exactly

Old 01-07-2015, 06:44 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
If you aren't going to be eating much protein, one pre-mixed drink a day isn't gunna cut it. That's like what, 30g's of protein? You could pick up some beef jerky or something, also just get some tasty chocolate protein powder and blend that sh*t with milk and a banana. It's delicious, I promise. Watermelon is another good one to throw in (not along w/ a banana though). 8 pre-mixed drinks isn't gunna cut it anyway so you're gunna have to go back to gnc, you will be healing for longer then 8 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness