Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:28 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
As far as I know I have normal pronation, one physical therapist told me I had over pronation, and another said I didn't. I wear new balance shoes which claim to correct this problem with some kind "pronation control" thing in it. Anyways, I am interested about what I said though if you have 2 white males in their early 20's of the same height, can one of them can have stronger ligaments and tendons? Does science actually know?
I will give you an example;

Shoulder tendonitis, where the tendons get inflamed. Some people are much more prone to this than others due to the spacing between the bones that make up the shoulder, so these people often end up getting surgery to remove some of the bone. Other people have no issue with this because their bone spacing is more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:01 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
I was going to say poor form and/or excessive weights or fatigue which leads to poor form.

I guess it depends on what condition a person is in when they start exercising. I do not think it is possible to begin with the same program if accustomed to a sedentary lifestyle compared to someone who was active before beginning an exercise regimen.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,257 times
If there was a previous injury and it did not heal correctly, more chance of the damage reoccurring.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:56 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
Yeah, I always wondered why the kids in high school who seemed to get injured every season would continue to play when they OBVIOUSLY can't.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Of course, genetics, carelessness and prior injuries play a big role. But there are other causative factors:

1) Age - too young as well as too old, for a specific exercise
2) Weight - too thin as well as too heavy. Both can affect balance
3) Height - I notice taller people often have trouble with back, hips, knees
4) Length of time since prior use of those muscle groups. This is a big one!

Old 02-06-2015, 08:16 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
So are you saying 2 white males in their early 20's of the same height, one of them can have stronger ligaments and tendons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
yes... of course. just like one of them can have perfect vision and the other can be nearsighted.
Or one can run a 40 yard dash faster or one of them can have better balance.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:21 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Some good reasons have already been mentioned. I will add another - spinal abnormalities. I have mild scoliosis, and this makes for imbalances in the body. I am much more prone to injuries than another person and I have to be very careful when I train. I am now in my 60s, and have to space out my sessions and really watch what I do. I am prone to shoulder, ankle and lower back issues. I do continue to work out and train because it is also important to keep muscles and ligaments strong to hold everything in place.

I also do regular yoga stretches and other activities to keep muscles open, long and as balanced as I can get them.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:22 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
I know some people, myself included who do all the right things to avoid getting injured, but get injured anyway, all the time. I sprained my ankle a month ago and just a couple days ago hurt my back, it's crazy. I also know people who treat their body like ****, overtrain, don't warmup, don't stretch, all sorts of stuff and almost never get injured. Why is this?
- Very unathletic/uncoordinated person
- People that think they can lift twice as much as they can actually lift.
- People playing sports that always cause injuries

That's your answer

Old 02-06-2015, 11:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
So are you saying 2 white males in their early 20's of the same height, one of them can have stronger ligaments and tendons?
Or ones that are stressed in different ways due to differences in gait, previous injuries, congenital traits, etc. Everything about the physical formation of your body, from your eye color down to how your tendons happen to be attached, is written into your specific, unique genetic code.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
There could also be reasons such as poor eyesight that isn't corrected. I'd guess that a lot of clumsy folks just can't see that well.

If someone is awkward in their body, something along the lines of qi gong, tai chi or some such may help them learn to move better. Learning to dance might help. I'd guess that a lot of it is just not learning how to move properly or thinking about moving properly. A lot of movement is ingrained habit, but you have to do it first - hopefully properly - before you can ingrain the habit.

And yes, some folks are more frail than others. Muscle mass, bone density, etc., is going to be different between different folks and make a difference as to how much they get injured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness