Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I've seen posts in this forum where people put down walking. .
Walking is only good if you are unable or incapable of running. Like the grandma in this video. It is better than sitting around turning into a "My 500lb Life" MTV network freakshow, but if a person is capable of more, then they should do more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOS1wq7SyyE

Brisk walking is okay for the elderly or for someone nursing some type of injury, but if a person is NOT elderly, or battling any injuries, they would be much much much better off running/jogging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:19 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeArizonaBabe View Post
Do any of you love to fitness walk (that is brisk walking for 30 minutes to 1 hour)?

I find it a very simple, easy workout to do, everyday. I do like some jogging too & strength training, but I find I can go walking everyday the easiest way to workout.
Walking is great exercise and is excellent for your health. I just got back from a 1 hr. 15 min. walk at a brisk pace and my pulse was up to 100 beats per minute at the end. Earlier in the walk I had it up to 116 after some backward walking which is more difficult. If a person has a place where it can be done safely some reverse walking makes a great addition to the walk.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:54 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Walking is better than nothing but it's not intense enough. You can't build real cardio endurance from just walking.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:28 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
My wife and me are in our 60's and walking is all we can do. I spent 30 years running/jogging and now suffer from bad knees and hips. So far this year we have walked 360 miles at about 4 MPH for 40-50 mins. We walk in any weather except when the roads are slick. With out walking both of us would weight another 30 pounds.

Walking is very good exercise!

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I walk at least 3 miles a day, 6 days a week. It's a great way to get fit and lose weight.

Of course the faster and/or farther you walk, the greater the benefits. But any kind of exercise is better than sitting on the couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I've seen posts in this forum where people put down walking. Some say it doesn't qualify as exercise at all.
I have those maroons on my ignore list.

Quote:
I beg to differ, especially when you're talking about walking at a brisk clip. Exercise is not all-or-nothing. It's not as if you either go all out and push yourself to the limit or else it doesn't count at all. There is a middle ground which really enhances health and basic fitness.
Well put.

Quote:
Just an example of the fact that walking can be done a a variety of ways, and can be very vigorous. Unlike what some believe, I'd say that even a good brisk walk on local streets is solid exercise.
That's where I do my walking -- I'm a streetwalker! LOL I started out barely able to take the small hill at the end of my street, but within few months was walking 4 miles in less than an hour, and taking long, steep hills much more easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongazn View Post
I think walking is quite beneficial as it's another way where you can clear your mind and also burn some calories at the same time.
Lots of benefits -- connect with your neighbors and your neighborhood, get your lungs filled with fresh air, get some sunshine (hopefully!), run errands ...

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
I agree that it doesn't build as much endurance as running but as much as I love walking I simply do not enjoy running. I think I'm getting more fitness benefit than most walkers though. I can sustain a minimum 5mph pace, get up to 9mph (I run up hills, of which there are many in my neighborhood/city and also go out of my way find and run up multiple flights of stairs), avg. 12:30/mile and generally go for 6.5-9 mile walks. I don't even think of as exercise as I enjoy it so much. I can get through beautiful Balboa Park, the heart of downtown and down to the bay and all the great historic neighborhoods surrounding downtown.

Also running is hard on your joints as you age- I'm 54 next month.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:21 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,727 times
Walking doesn't really do anything for me. I like to feel a little bit of discomfort when I'm exercising.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:57 AM

387 posts, read 408,592 times
I walk on the treadmill atleast 2x wk. I adjust the speed to 4.8 and the incline to 10. For an added kicker I add a 5lb ankle weight to each wrist. Do that for 30mins and you'll be spent.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:12 PM

684 posts, read 791,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
I walk on the treadmill atleast 2x wk. I adjust the speed to 4.8 and the incline to 10. For an added kicker I add a 5lb ankle weight to each wrist. Do that for 30mins and you'll be spent.
I went walking once with ankle weights on each wrist, and then on each leg. The next morning I awoke with vertigo. I could barely stand up straight I was so dizzy.

Walking is an exercise that should never be discouraged. I've suffered from calf tears, muscle aches and pains (obviously), athlete's foot etc, and many times it can just be really easy to get discouraged with exercising altogether. Unless of course, you consider a nice walk as your exercise. At times, if your suffering from ailments, and all you can do is walk, then do it. Because it is still beneficially, exercise.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:09 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I agree walking is a great exercise, especially at a fast pace. I do it several times a week. At least once or twice a week I do a brisk 5 to 8 mile walk on a trail nearby. Other days its a few miles or 30 minutes on stairclimber or threadmill. I can't imagine not doing this, and going to a gym for other exercise.

It's a turn off how many Americans do nothing, and wouldn't walk a foot if they didn't have to. I think the sedentary lifestyle in this country is very concerning. There isn't near enough focus, on just how severe the obesity problem is in this country. The amount of overweight children and their sedentary way of life is very alarming. They all need to get out and do a whole lot of walking, and get away from their IPhone and Computer games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness