Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Btw Coach Potatoes live longer than folks who jog a lot.

"strenuous joggers died at twice the rate of those who sat around doing nothing.

The reason may be quite simple: "[Strenuous] jogging corresponds to very heavy vigorous exercise ... which when performed for decades could pose health risks," especially to the cardiovascular system, the authors write. They argue that while that sort of jogging might help reach peak physical fitness in the short term, high-intensity, high-volume training isn't ideal for long-term health".
Are you talking about the Danish study that came out a few months back? It helps to read the actual study, rather than relying on headline research. It's hidden behind a pay wall, but if you'd like to read a commentary on why the study doesn't say what you seem to think it says, here you go:

[url=http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/02February/Pages/Strenuous-jogging-as-bad-as-doing-no-exercise-claim.aspx]Strenuous jogging 'as bad as doing no exercise' claim - Health News - NHS Choices[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 04:30 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Quote:
I noticed how many folks use the word "I" in their response, It makes me feel good, it makes me feel healthy, it is good for me. Lot of concerns only about themselves.

I also find it funny people think I am out of shape. I actually, never have spent a night in a hospital, am on no medicine, every year at physical it comes back all normal and last time I called in sick to work was in 1991 when I had the flu. I have not been sick or injured in almost 25 years. Meanwhile my neighbor with lawn service, a maid and pool service who works from home who is my age had both knees replaced after 25 years of jogging.

Mowing your own lawn is the same exact cardio work out as going to the gym,
Cleaning out your garage is also same thing, donating time to go to Ronald McDonald House or a school event where I set up chairs is also a lot of work as well as painting my house and walking instead of driving everywhere. My neighbor would of had a happier wife and kids if he did work around house rather than jogging to get our of work and losing his knees.

Lest say your not a troll~~

As for I, yep because if I don't take care of I and love I who gonna take care of the we???

I'm 52 in great health so far have all my parts, on no medications, had all my yearly done from head to toe and was giving an A plus straight across the board, in the words of my doctor "Your in better health than most 20 years old's"! Yep I eat all organic diet and workout, I do yard work, cook, bake etc, etc, etc, etc.. But I do take time for I, so I can enjoy the "WE"~~.....

Old 07-24-2015, 04:52 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
WOW, OP, you just keep on not keeping your virtual mouth shut and letting people think you're a fool...and there you go opening it wide and removing all semblance of doubt, again and again!!! WTF!!! You're a sad soul, there's no way of saying it less frankly.

However, after my having posted that, I concede that our OP does have a point.
A lot of y'all are so self-righteous it's scary:

Example A: "Well! I manage to juggle budgets, six kids aged from 10 months to 17 years, two careers, a McMansion on four acres of treeless sod, an urban assault vehicle as well as a European sports car, and nothing but sustainable locavore meals made from scratch every day, AND I get at least seven-point-five hours of uninterrupted sleep in during the same time frame each night. Somehow, some way, I manage to fit in a run of at least 6.23 miles religiously on a 3-6x/week basis. What's your problem?"

Example B: "I bet YOU don't have (followed by the complete results of the poster's last check-up.) I take care of my health. My cholesterol readings are my guide for how brightly I polish my halo each time I haul out the gel-sole sneakers that cost me only $128 on Amazon, and put in my 2 miles per morning daily. Resting pulse rates clue me in as well, with Fitbits and Garmin swag taped all over my arms and legs to count my steps and give instant blood-pressure readings and all sorts of other essential information. My family depends on my being the very picture of fitness, because I'm guaranteed to not have any sort of medical problems until the first great-grandchildren start being born. How selfish of you to not consider that people's very lives depend on YOUR leading an exemplary one."

Example C: "How unfortunate that you cheat yourself out of the miracles that running bestows upon me each time I set out to trek the trails or pound the pavement. All of my troubles - right up to my mother's sudden breaking out in incurable hives - magically disappear after no more than a few hundred meters. By the time I've covered a distance roughly comparable to that of a half-marathon (the new cool race, just sayin') I'm ready to start a conference call between Obama and Netanyahu and all of the ruling party leaders in Iran to bring about world peace. That's the level of confidence I'm given. Whether I launch myself into bliss at dawn or after dark, abundant blessings await me because I'm a runner."

SHUT UP!!!!!

I've started to fit jogging into my life for one simple reason. It's awesome! (LOL) Seriously, though: A month or so ago, the banquet service temp agency for which I moonlight - and sometimes "daylight" - informed me after 9:30 one night that a last-minute gig was available which began at 5:30 the next morning. People without cars could report to the agency HQ by that hour to be transported. SO...off I went, having left word on the agency's voice mail, after awakening at 4 fricken 15 AM, only to find NO JOB. The damn agency itself was still locked down tight. PO'd much? Ya durn tootin' I was!
Steam was still issuing forth from my ears and nostrils, figuratively of course, as I neared home after that fool's errand. And "something" told me only one thing shy of heavy and immediate alcohol intake was going to bring my mood back to mellow. Off came the work uniform and on went a baggy T-shirt and shorts; off came the polished black shoes and on went one of my well-worn pairs of Chuck Taylors. (Yes! You can run in Chucks!) Not even an hour later...WHOA. Where did the anger go? In its place was a sweet internal bath of endorphins which complemented a long hot shower perfectly.
I don't trot out my medical stats or make a big deal out of how often I lace up the sneaks (I also have a battered old pair of Brooks.) I sho-nuff don't wildly exaggerate how "high" you really get from a sustained run. And may God or the equivalent thereof strike me dead before I fall into the tedious realm of endlessly chasing PR's and then letting potentially dozens of people know on my own Personal Running Blog whether or not I met them.
In short, I jog because I'm able to, and because it's a beautiful thing to bring on pleasure rushes through nothing more than putting one foot in front of the other a few hundred times (surely you don't think I snap up every new Fitbit, do you? BWAHAHAHAHAHA)

Just about everybody in this thread needs to get over themselves to some extent. Therein lies the beauty of what on its face was an egregiously baiting OP.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:58 PM

431 posts, read 449,879 times
There are 168 hours in a week. Most people have plenty of time to "jog" (or exercise in general) and take care of any other commitments. Most people who exercise in such a manner do it for less than one hour per day. I don't really see how this can be a serious post.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:51 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
I noticed how many folks use the word "I" in their response, It makes me feel good, it makes me feel healthy, it is good for me. Lot of concerns only about themselves.
The reason I choose to exercise is that I want to be healthy, as long as I can, for my SON. And my family. Also, exercise is a HUGE stress reliever. Increasing my strength allows me to take care of things at home that I could not do, otherwise. I can pick up a 50 pound bag of sand or concrete with no problem - I don't have to wait for someone to come help me. Pull your head out of the sand.

Quote:
I also find it funny people think I am out of shape. I actually, never have spent a night in a hospital, am on no medicine, every year at physical it comes back all normal and last time I called in sick to work was in 1991 when I had the flu. I have not been sick or injured in almost 25 years. Meanwhile my neighbor with lawn service, a maid and pool service who works from home who is my age had both knees replaced after 25 years of jogging.
Oh...so that obviously is proof that no one should exercise.

Quote:
Mowing your own lawn is the same exact cardio work out as going to the gym, Cleaning out your garage is also same thing, donating time to go to Ronald McDonald House or a school event where I set up chairs is also a lot of work as well as painting my house and walking instead of driving everywhere.
LOL. You have no idea what a good cardio workout is, clearly. Yanno, if you don't want to exercise, then don't. No one says you have to. Just because other people do, doesn't make you wrong to not do the same.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Married folks with Kids, Parents to take care of, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, cooking, cleaning, helping kids with homework, doctors visits, dentist visits, gardening, taking care of house, grocery shopping, commuting to and from work are always swamped with work.

Yet I always see the same folks Jogging, riding Bikes day after day. At first I thought it was great they are working out but slowly realized they are mainly Lazy folks who are just doing it to get out of work.
Regardless of a person's everyday responsibilities, everyone needs and deserves a little time to and for themselves.
Perhaps the joggers and bike riders you see are taking that time to do something healthy, rather than parking themselves in front of a t.v.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Well aren't you the most adorable little curmudgeon I've ever come across on this site.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:48 PM

519 posts, read 777,290 times
How did this topic even get so many legit replies? The whole premise of the OP is utterly silly.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:12 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
It appears Sandy Jet has an irrational hatred for people who run.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,938 times
You need an small amount of time to exercise. Go outside right now and take an long seven hour walk. Boom you just did some exercise. Your body has to burn something, especially when you have work that is closed quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness