Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times

Advertisements

Where I grew up was very outdoorsy, so it was the norm to be into ice skating, hiking, mountain climbing, cycling, cross country skiing, etc. I was actually quite good at field hockey in school; not because of any extraordinary talent, but because I learned to use my short stature and speed to my advantage. After school ended, I really didn't take care of myself so I was always a sickly kind of skinny... which for some reason I saw as the ideal physique. Anyway, a few years back I started working at the front desk and daycare room of a gym, and seeing all of those healthy, muscular bodies really inspired me to rethink about what the ideal body should look like. Being too proud and stubborn to ask for advice, I fell into the typical female trap of a whole lotta cardio and barely any weightlifting. Long story short, a well-meaning friend and personal trainer intervened and talked me into slowing down on the cardio and lifting heavier. The advice was heeded, I drastically changed my diet (I was veg'n for 26 years) and I've have steadily transformed from weak and skinny-fat to strong and toned. I still do a double-take when I pass a mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:45 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,319 times
No one in my family is a body builder but my Dad always did pushups and situps a few times a week before work and my mom always hit the fitness center after work. Additionally, my Dad was a high school swimming coach and both my aunt and uncle regularly participated in 10k's. Skiing was also a huge part of family life for everyone on my moms side.

I have continued that theme doing just a few sets of pushups, chin-ups, and some type of ab exercise about three times each week. I'm no Chris Hemsworth but I'm fit and have decent muscle definition. I also ski or snowboard regularly and am an avid mountain biker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness