Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 09:35 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get ideas. Since I stopped swimming (summer's over) I decided to start training for 5ks. It's going well since I am already fit... the running is different and uses different muscles, but overall, I am happy with my progress.

But I am still trying to think of the best option for my keys. The best I've come up with is to put my keys in my car (and then take my keyfob with me, tucked in my running pants). But even then, I have to keep checking it because it slides around.

I drive to the local track because I want to be able to measure how far I am running so I know I will be ready for that first 5k, so this is a car key I am talking about here (it's kind of big and bulky to tie into a shoelace which is an option I found online).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I am trying to get ideas. Since I stopped swimming (summer's over) I decided to start training for 5ks. It's going well since I am already fit... the running is different and uses different muscles, but overall, I am happy with my progress.

But I am still trying to think of the best option for my keys. The best I've come up with is to put my keys in my car (and then take my keyfob with me, tucked in my running pants). But even then, I have to keep checking it because it slides around.

I drive to the local track because I want to be able to measure how far I am running so I know I will be ready for that first 5k, so this is a car key I am talking about here (it's kind of big and bulky to tie into a shoelace which is an option I found online).
I have jogging pants that have a zipper pocket on the butt . The problem is with those bulky keys that have a built in remote - they are heavy enough to make my pants slide down a little (but not to the point where I can lose them). My older car had a remote that was separate from an actual key, something that you put on a key chain along with the key - that was the best. I could chose either a key itself or remote to put in the pocket.

You can also get one of those pockets that strap to your arm. I run with a phone, since I like listening to some music while running. Also, having a phone with a tracking app (RunKeeper or Endomondo) eliminates the problem with distances.

If you can run somewhere around your house, this is the best. I hate driving to my workout, just seems silly.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I won't buy pants or shorts that don't have pockets. And given the fashion industry's fear of frightening women who think that pockets make them look fat, finding workout gear with pockets is no simple task.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
Use medical tape to wrap it around your wrist.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I hide them in the bushes by my front door.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Find a way to wear a single key or remote around your neck like on a strap. You can stick it down your shirt so it doesn't flop around.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:58 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
Thanks for the ideas. Guess I need to run back to the sporting goods store... again (this will be my third trip).

I hope to run closer to my house soon. We have some great running trails, but for now, I need to drive to the track until I understand what 5k "feels" like/how long it takes me to run it.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:02 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
I run on the track just like you. (I like the rubberized surface for my knees and don't really like to run on the road with the traffic)

I hold my keys. Because I run long distance I use my keys as a marker of where I am at.

For the first mile I hold my keys in my left hand.

I run one lap in lane 1, second lap in lane 2, third lap in lane 1, 4th lap in lane 2.

For the second mile I switch my keys to my right hand. Same alternating of laps.

When I get to mile 4 on the first lap I say "4".

At some point in time on my 5th or 6th mile I start daydreaming and I forget what lap I am on.

So knowing that on my fifth mile and if I am in lane 1 and have my keys in my left hand and I didn't say "5", I know I am on lap 3 of the fifth mile and have one lap to go before mile 6.

It helps me keep track of where I am at doing distance runs.

I have been doing this for years and for me anyway, I always lose track of where I am at, especially listening to music or just thinking. This keeps me on track.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:12 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Like others I put it in a zip pocket, a key pocket for sneakers, or even lock them in my car (when I have keyless entry)

Old 09-17-2015, 11:22 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
What little cardio I do is done at the gym, so my keys are always in the locker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness