Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

I've been dabbling in Yoga for the last few months but find many of the postures challenging especially those that require getting on the ground, i'm wondering if Tai Chi would give similar physical benefits as its all about standing up while doing the movements which i find much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:22 AM

30,528 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Not sure about the end results although I suspect they'd be similar.

I prefer tai chi (locally usually spelled tai ji) because of the standing up part. Some can be done sitting, which I did for a while after I had surgery. Then returned to standing.

It's probably pretty subjective. I just feel better doing the tai ji, both while doing it and after. I started taking classes while I was still working, as a stress reliever. Enjoy it now that I'm retired.

I'd say try it. You've tried yoga a few months, now try tai ji a few months. Then decide.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:27 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I think they accomplish different things. Tai chi or more about balance and concentration, yoga is stretching and meditation. I personally don't love yoga, at least not to sit through a whole hour class. I took it for about 6 mo., then quit class and now only do a few poses at a time (20 minutes, 30 min. at most). I took a few tai chi classes but didn't get too far due to time, but I liked it. I take too many other classes right now to do another.

Like someone suggested, give it a try. It all depends what you like and want to accomplish.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:30 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,114 times
They are very similar. Both include elements of stretching, balance, cardiovascular conditioning, and if you are given instruction on it and are so inclined, meditation. Bear in mind that there are different styles of Yoga and Tai Chi, which offer these things in different proportions. Really you have to try them both to decide what you prefer.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:14 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've been dabbling in Yoga for the last few months but find many of the postures challenging especially those that require getting on the ground, i'm wondering if Tai Chi would give similar physical benefits as its all about standing up while doing the movements which i find much easier.
I've done a bit of yoga off and on for years. I'm not that familiar with Tai Chi, but it's my understanding they're very different.

What yoga does physically, based on my experience: Improves balance, flexibility, patience, and muscle toning. (Holding the poses for certain lengths of time requires balance and will build muscle; it's a type of resistance training.)

Tai Chi focuses mainly on balance, I think.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
My problem is floor exercises,if i manage to get to the floor i cant get up unassisted. Much of the Yoga moves require being on the floor,skipping this aspect of the exercise i wonder if i'm getting the full benefit of Yoga and am just wasting my time just doing half the process.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:25 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
My problem is floor exercises,if i manage to get to the floor i cant get up unassisted. Much of the Yoga moves require being on the floor,skipping this aspect of the exercise i wonder if i'm getting the full benefit of Yoga and am just wasting my time just doing half the process.
Sounds like you should skip yoga. Why don't you just try the tai chi for awhile? Too much of yoga was difficult for me, too, which is why I don't do anything but a few poses that I need for my back issue now. I prefer to bike ride and dance.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:33 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,849 times
Quote:
You can try chair yoga.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:41 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Done both - currently a regular practitioner of Yoga. I would recommend Yoga over Tai Chi. It's much better exercise, more challenging, helps develop willpower along with flexibility, strength, and movement of internal fluid. Tai Chi is nearly a waste of time by comparison. Strong words, I know, but they are thoughtful. Even a person starting out with injuries or physical ailments would benefit from Yoga under the instruction of someone knowledgeable. Tai Chi is better than nothing but pales in comparison.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
You can try chair yoga.
^^^ this. Look in your area for SilverSneakers. They have chair yoga classes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness