Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,511 times

Advertisements

I think I've made a lot of progress since I started to force myself to exercise, but my results are kinda leveling off.

I wouldn't mind gaining some "healthy weight." I'm at 130 lbs and 5 ft 8 inches now. What exercises or recommendations do you have? Also looking for exercise programs that are fun and motivational if you know of any. I've been using the regular machines but i need some variety, too.

As for my goal, I'm looking to try to be something similar to the "toned" picture (G) in the picture, definitely not D, the body builder type. Maybe in time for next year's beach season, so that way I don't need "fast results" necessarily? Do you think this is realistic, or a good look?

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Hit a plateau. Advice? My goal is the "toned" pic-builds.jpg  

Last edited by chimera1997; 10-07-2015 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: program
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:33 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera1997 View Post
I've been using the regular machines

Thats your problem. Go with a free weight heavy routine, you can find them all over the place. Starting Strength by Ripptoes is a good one. Keep your calories in check, get plenty of protein, do plenty of squats, deadlifts, pull ups...etc, you'll get to where you want to be.

Last edited by Juram; 10-07-2015 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-08-2015, 04:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Again, "toned" is nothing more than having low body fat and diet will be your biggest key for that.

If you're looking to add muscle mass now, Starting Strength is a great place to begin, as suggested above. Wendler's 5/3/1 is another good candidate. His "boring but big" routine may work well for you. Boring But Big - JimWendler.com

The best way to add mass quickly is to eat at a caloric surplus and squat heavy at least twice a week (as well as following whatever other program you choose).

Old 10-08-2015, 06:09 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
+1 on the things the advice already given. use free weights, lift heavy, caloric surplus eating the right type of foods. Diet has always been the biggest factor for me. It's surprisingly difficult to eat enough of the right foods on a consistent basis.

The lifting is the fun part. The eating is a big and expensive chore.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:49 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
+1 on the things the advice already given. use free weights, lift heavy, caloric surplus eating the right type of foods. Diet has always been the biggest factor for me. It's surprisingly difficult to eat enough of the right foods on a consistent basis.

The lifting is the fun part. The eating is a big and expensive chore.

Minus the part about expense, I've always felt the other way around

Old 10-08-2015, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 3,511 times
Thanks for the helpful advice. A few questions.

1) How many calories on average should I consume? I know it depends on how many calories I burn, would it be maybe 300 calories above maintenance?

2) On days when I don't have time to go to the gym, do you have any recommendations for body weight exercises?

3) On the JimWendler.com website it has the 5/3/1 like you mentioned, and then 5 sets of 10 reps for presses and lat work as an example. Feeling like an idiot, but what does 5/3/1 refer to?

4) What kind of physique should I expect to look like if I can somehow adopt a healthy sustainable routine without spending more than an hour at the gym a day. My concern is I want to get super strong for functional purposes, but still not look extreme (I give credit to those who do, just for me that's not my own look that I'd aspire to). What I mean is, I don't want to look like picture D (bodybuilder) for sure. Maybe something slightly bigger than E?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:58 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimera1997 View Post
Thanks for the helpful advice. A few questions.

1) How many calories on average should I consume? I know it depends on how many calories I burn, would it be maybe 300 calories above maintenance?
Start reading these articles. Eating for Muscle Gain Archives - BodyRecomposition : BodyRecomposition

This one is one of my favorites.

General Philosophies of Muscle Mass Gain : BodyRecomposition

Quote:
2) On days when I don't have time to go to the gym, do you have any recommendations for body weight exercises?
I'd recommend you simply make time to go to the gym. That would be preferable.

Quote:
3) On the JimWendler.com website it has the 5/3/1 like you mentioned, and then 5 sets of 10 reps for presses and lat work as an example. Feeling like an idiot, but what does 5/3/1 refer to?
This breaks down the 5/3/1 program pretty well: https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/53...-pure-strength

Personally, I tend to prefer Starting Strength as a beginner's program but the Wendler one is excellent as well.

Quote:
4) What kind of physique should I expect to look like if I can somehow adopt a healthy sustainable routine without spending more than an hour at the gym a day. My concern is I want to get super strong for functional purposes, but still not look extreme (I give credit to those who do, just for me that's not my own look that I'd aspire to). What I mean is, I don't want to look like picture D (bodybuilder) for sure. Maybe something slightly bigger than E?
Not to sound flippant but just pick a program and do it. You're not going to look like a professional bodybuilder without years of hard work and anabolics.

You can work on the aesthetics part later.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:16 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
In all honesty, I think mature adult men will reach their absolute potential in no more than two years. Guys that you see that look like bodybuilders and credit it to spending so many years in the gym are probably on steroids unless they just have amazing genetic potential. And even if they do have amazing genetic potential, with the right program, they can probably realize it within two years.

Thoughts?

(And just to clarify, by absolute potential, I'm not referring to powerlifters in the heavyweight class that eat themselves to their potential, but guys that have low body fat.)

Old 10-08-2015, 07:38 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Are you saying you think you'll get as big and strong as you ever will inside of two years, outside of heavyweight powerlifters/strongmen?

No way. Absolutely not.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:18 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Are you saying you think you'll get as big and strong as you ever will inside of two years, outside of heavyweight powerlifters/strongmen?

No way. Absolutely not.
I mean in terms of getting to the point to where you plateau and have a significant cost of adaptation or opportunity cost associated with incremental gains.

I think it's definitely possible as long as they were on the right program. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking about taking a reasonably conditioned person to their absolute peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness