Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you hire an overweight personal trainer?
Yes 37 25.87%
No 106 74.13%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:37 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer it frankly - at least they'd understand why I struggle. One can be overweight and still be healthy. I know a lot of people who are overweight and run in 5Ks. I don't care about how I look that much - I want to have good endurance, flexibility and strength. Actually, given that my extra weight tends to go into all the right places and I tend to look pretty darn good naked, I really don't care about BMI all that much.

I would want someone who wouldn't be trying to change me, just give me good advice about how to work out safely. When I signed up for a gym years ago, I found myself being preached at by this guy who was hoping to be my personal trainer. He was in shape, but he was clearly obsessed with appearance based on how he was talking rather than overall fitness. And that was kind of funny because he was very overdeveloped up top and had skinny chicken legs. Made me think of all those memes about skipping "Leg Day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 05:10 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Good question, OP.

I noticed at my last 24 that a couple of trainers weren't exactly fitness models. I would joke with my roommate that the qualifications to be a trainer there must be pretty low, or they must be desperate for anybody.

I began to notice that these trainers only worked out older adults (50+), who weren't in great shape, while the more in-shape trainers would lead the boot camp classes and train those who were younger and appeared to be in better shape.

So, maybe those not-so-in-shape looking trainers serve a great purpose, because they don't scare away potential clients who don't want to be intimidated or feel inferior to their trainer. It may be more encouraging to those clients who are older and/or really out of shape, because their trainer is more relatable than someone who looked like The Rock, and makes them feel like their fitness goals are more attainable and realistic.

There's a stark contrast between the former college cheerleader who is in good shape, but just had a kid and wants to lose a few pounds and the 68 year-old man who's had his hips replaced, that just wants to be active a few times a week.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:21 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
To the people who said "no", I ask this; would you hire this man to be your trainer?

(For those of you who know who he is and the point I'm about to make, please don't give it away just yet)

Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
To the people who said "no", I ask this; would you hire this man to be your trainer?

(For those of you who know who he is and the point I'm about to make, please don't give it away just yet)

I was actually going to post that very same pic in my post from yesterday.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:13 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:

I surmise, no. imo/ime, most people who seek personal trainers have this wild idea of sleeping with them, ergo he/she must look good.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:31 AM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
I voted no, but part of the problem is you clearly see on the outside if they are practicing what they are preaching. Mechanics often have falling apart cars, contractors may have unfinished projects in their homes, but we don't see that. So "sadly", if you want to be a personal trainer you need to be fit.

Coaching of sports whether professional or recreational seems to be an area where fitness level doesn't matter, but I often think it should. But coaching is often about vision and knowing how to teach the various dynamics even if you aren't physically able to do so. My wife coaches cross country. She is reasonably fit, but is not able to run faster than most of the kids on her team. She knows the drills, she knows the distances, she knows the body mechanics that are necessary so she doesn't have to. Kids find success following the advice so it works.

For a personal trainer, it would seem harder for the clients to see the vision play out if it hasn't played out in the trainer's life.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:54 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
That's a tough one. Ultimately, I'd say yes. I think that they have the knowledge and ability to support you and instruct you, which is what you need. It's kind of like former drug addicts or alcoholics becoming counselors. Yes, a lot of them do fall off the wagon, but it's generally not as noticeable as one who has food issues. Secondly, even though your trainer may be overweight, you don't know if they're still on their own journey. Perhaps your 200 pound female instructor used to weigh 500 lbs and is still in the process of losing the rest of their weight.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:34 PM

318 posts, read 372,744 times
Quote:

I don't know who he is, but this man has a very close frame to my spouse. Well muscled but with bodyfat.

I wrote earlier in this thread about him. He is anything but lazy or out of shape.

Quote:
My spouse now is overweight. He was the chubby sibling that was policed with food as a kid in a slim house. When I met him I instantly noticed his energy and positive attitude. He was always willing to go outside and do stuff. His job is physical, lifting parts that weigh more then me, up and down ladders, sprinting back and forth across distances in a big plant. Oh, he eats LESS then me- often. He cut out a lot of carbs and has maintained a good weight loss (and added muscle) but he's still "fat". HE is a success story, kept off a great percentage of body-fat for years now.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:43 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

crossfit founder...

he managed to create a cult...

Old 12-06-2015, 07:06 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,139 times
Quote:

I don't even know who this guy is, but were you posting his picture as an example of someone overweight and/or out of shape?? He looks like a Navy Seal.

Appearances aren't everything, there's a gentleman at my gym who is large and somewhat heavy who I've never seen do anything more than a sitting elliptical, but I shook his hand one time and he was gentle but I'll bet he could crush rocks in his fists; his hands felt that strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness