Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:28 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,258,490 times

Advertisements

I used to run on a cardio machine at Planet Fitness I started losing weight FAST!!!! I left Planet Fitness and I noticed that my bell is starting to show. I'm wondering if I should run a track near my house. Will that be the equivalent to a Planet Fitness cardio machine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 07:55 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,641,583 times
Actually running is more demanding than doing it on a treadmill, you will just have to keep track of your pace

Old 01-09-2016, 07:57 PM

403 posts, read 682,508 times
Be more explicit; what was the machine? Treadmill, elliptical, adjustable elevation? For the most part, you should be fine on a track, but it may not be a bad idea to mix it up a bit with some road or park running, as well as mixing up the pacing a bit, to stave off monotony. It depends on what your goals are.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:11 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,258,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Be more explicit; what was the machine? Treadmill, elliptical, adjustable elevation? For the most part, you should be fine on a track, but it may not be a bad idea to mix it up a bit with some road or park running, as well as mixing up the pacing a bit, to stave off monotony. It depends on what your goals are.
It was a treadmill.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 PM

10,054 posts, read 18,110,243 times
When I run on a treadmill I always have it on an incline -- I was always told that a (slight) incline made it much more comparable to running on a track. Something about the treadmill "helping" you go a bit faster since you're really just running in place. (And of course when I do intervals, I can make the incline much steeper ... fun fun fun!!)

I would MUCH rather run on an outdoor track than on a treadmill, but I live in New England and our winters don't allow for much outdoor running, unless you want to slip on ice.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,693,244 times
I've trained for marathons by doing around half of my runs on treadmills. I once did an 18 mile run on a treadmill in a YMCA. Experts will tell you there are some minor differences in running between running on a treadmill and running outside. The biggest difference for me is I get more sweaty on a treadmill because there is no wind, and the sweat doesn't evaporate as quickly.

Some people say you should raise the incline 1% to make the difficulty more comparable to running at the same speed outside. Another disadvantage for more serious runners is you are training with no downhill running since very few treadmills have the ability to decline. My feet sometimes start to feel numb doing long runs on a treadmill, and being able to adjust the incline and decline helps with that.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:24 PM

2,002 posts, read 988,430 times
If you are gaining weight the simple answer is you are eating more calories than you are burning. The intensity of your workouts could be suffering. As other posters asked, what were the conditions of the exercise - speed, incline, etc.?

Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,475,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I used to run on a cardio machine at Planet Fitness I started losing weight FAST!!!! I left Planet Fitness and I noticed that my bell is starting to show. I'm wondering if I should run a track near my house. Will that be the equivalent to a Planet Fitness cardio machine?
If you are doing nothing since leaving PF then anything will help.

I run on both depending on the weather. Both are good workouts. The treadmill always makes road jogging seem easier to me.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 PM

4,567 posts, read 5,438,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is running outdoors on a track for 30 mins the same as running on a cardio machine?
NO!! On a treadmill, you are just keeping up with the belt which is assisting you in moving. It is this reason that you'll find it much much easier running for 30 minutes on treadmill compared to running 30 minutes outside.

If you want a similar workout, what you would want to do is go by your heart rate and time instead of just time.

A good article that explains it is here:

Treadmill vs. Outside Running: Which Is Best?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:10 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,689,904 times
I always thought that running outside was the better workout. Let's say I'd run for three miles down the beach boardwalk. Well, there I was. I'd have to run back, or, at a minimum, walk back. On a treadmill, once you get off, you're done. You don't have to run back from anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness