Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:47 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
My thighs are the size of tree trunks.
Then why are you worrying about building muscle then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
My thighs are the size of tree trunks. I run 7-10 miles a day.
Tree trunks come in all sizes including pencil diameter.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I am too big--closer to 22% BF. I've tried creatine--I heard it was relatively safe--but I felt like I didn't really know what I was doing so I stopped.

I do the 5 mile run on Saturday because it's very taxing and I enjoy it. I'm just wondering if running those miles is inhibiting muscle growth. It really isn't a lot of miles.

52, huh?
1. Stop running.
2. Start bicycling or stationary bike plus swimming
3. STOP SQUATS IMMEDIATELY. Squats are terrible exercise geared to ruin your back if not done RIGHT and even then, there will be damage to your back. Switch to reverse leg press, if you just can't be without large quads and strong gluts.
4. You gym session should start with core. As in -core complete wrap around. I'd rather be against deadlifts, but you can do sitting "deadlifts" in horizontal row machine. Or, you may damage your back.
5. Stay with large muscle mass involved basic exercise. Like bench press. Pushups. Lateral pull downs.
6. I do day in-day off. 3 week sets, then week do nothing then 3 weeks of different exercise/execution.
7. Continuously change the way you do your exercise. Alternate between pyramids, 21-s, tapes, cyclical. Etc. Once in a while do isometrics.
8. Cut on carbs. I lost 50 lbs when I went low to none carbs in 2 months. And I am slightly larger than you - 6'4 1/2 and around 225, it varies a bit up/down.
9. Did I say - stop running? Plenty of aerobics with MUCH less stress on your skeleton and more anatomically correct. Humans are not made for running. Fast walking - yes. Not running.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
52, huh?
1. Stop running.
2. Start bicycling or stationary bike plus swimming
3. STOP SQUATS IMMEDIATELY. Squats are terrible exercise geared to ruin your back if not done RIGHT and even then, there will be damage to your back. Switch to reverse leg press, if you just can't be without large quads and strong gluts.
4. You gym session should start with core. As in -core complete wrap around. I'd rather be against deadlifts, but you can do sitting "deadlifts" in horizontal row machine. Or, you may damage your back.
5. Stay with large muscle mass involved basic exercise. Like bench press. Pushups. Lateral pull downs.
6. I do day in-day off. 3 week sets, then week do nothing then 3 weeks of different exercise/execution.
7. Continuously change the way you do your exercise. Alternate between pyramids, 21-s, tapes, cyclical. Etc. Once in a while do isometrics.
8. Cut on carbs. I lost 50 lbs when I went low to none carbs in 2 months. And I am slightly larger than you - 6'4 1/2 and around 225, it varies a bit up/down.
9. Did I say - stop running? Plenty of aerobics with MUCH less stress on your skeleton and more anatomically correct. Humans are not made for running. Fast walking - yes. Not running.
Do you have any data to back that up?

Old 01-22-2016, 11:36 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
Quote:

You advise against doing regular back squats and deadlifts entirely? Just about everything I've read says these are great, bedrock exercises to do if done correctly. And it's not about large quads. It's about a good, full body compound movement.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
You advise against doing regular back squats and deadlifts entirely? Just about everything I've read says these are great, bedrock exercises to do if done correctly. And it's not about large quads. It's about a good, full body compound movement.
The squat and deadlift are probably the two most important lifts you can be doing. Contrary to some opinions, deadlifts are one of the safest lifts, too, so long as you know your limitations. The starting position is the bar on the ground. If you start a rep and realize you don't have it, simply drop the weight. Starting a rep on a squat or bench press and if you don't have it you're stuck. Unless you have a spot, of course.

Squats, properly done, won't hurt your back. Or your knees.

You'll see a lot of advice on this page that runs directly contrary to other advice given here. It can be very challenging if you don't know who to believe. But you said you've read elsewhere the squat and deadlift are fundamental "bedrock" exercises and I 100% agree with that. Once in a while you'll see someone who advises against them. Sometimes they may have valid reasons, but those valid reasons often apply only on a case-by-case individual (ie, someone says, "I hurt myself doing these, so therefore they are unsafe.") If you are confident in your ability to continue doing these lifts by all means continue to do them.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:11 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Count me in the camp against squats and deadlifting. I know they are among the best exercises for strength and mass but I'd advise people doing them as well. Two of my fit friends have hurt their backs doing squats. They weren't doing heavy, but just went too far down. Of course anyone can hurt themselves doing any activity, but those exercises I wince my eyes at the thought of doing them. Not ones I'd recommend for older people for sure.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
...those valid reasons often apply only on a case-by-case individual (ie, someone says, "I hurt myself doing these, so therefore they are unsafe.")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Count me in the camp against squats and deadlifting. I know they are among the best exercises for strength and mass but I'd advise people doing them as well. Two of my fit friends have hurt their backs doing squats. They weren't doing heavy, but just went too far down. Of course anyone can hurt themselves doing any activity, but those exercises I wince my eyes at the thought of doing them. Not ones I'd recommend for older people for sure.
See what I mean, OP?

Old 01-22-2016, 03:06 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:

Patently ridiculous.

Quote:
5. Stay with large muscle mass involved basic exercise.

Sure, fine.

Quote:
Aaaaand back to ridiculous.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...esigned+to+run

Old 01-22-2016, 03:19 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
See what I mean, OP?
Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness