Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 08:22 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times

Advertisements

I need a low cost fold out bike that will withstand heavy use (1-2 hours a day)

I've gone thru a few and they wear out quick. Wheel/pedal area starts loudly squeaking and knocks inside and gets progressively harder to pedal. Most online information I find says the brake pads need to be greased but some of these models are almost impossible to get open and there is no mention of this kind of maintenance in the user guides. It's like these are meant for people who will use them a few times, shove them in a corner and forget about them.

I did have ProForm X-Bike where a lid popped off the top for easy access inside but let it go at some point figuring I could replace later. Now this model is no longer available and I have a hard time finding something equivalent.

Also I have limited space, hence the need to a fold up and limited budget, with zero income right now. However I have nothing but time to stay in shape and 1 to 2 hours of pedal time are essential for good health and sanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 09:05 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Buy a resistance stand for your road bike.

I have never been on an exercise bike that allowed a proper position; the pedals are always garbage (like if they even have toe straps they work upside down); saddles are nightmarishly bad; handlebars are uncomfortable; crank tread (distance across the bike from one crank to the next) is ridiculously wide, wider than any real bike; and the crank length is either absurdly short or absurdly long. Forget about it. Just put your regular bike, with your good dialed-in position and the bars, pedals, saddle you prefer, on the resistance stand. Use a music stand with a bungee cord to hold a book open, and you're good to go.

But what do I know? I've only been using this kind of setup since 1982.

Alternatively, buy a track bike and learn how to ride rollers....

Old 04-16-2020, 10:35 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
+1

Quote:
I have never been on an exercise bike that allowed a proper position; the pedals are always garbage (like if they even have toe straps they work upside down); saddles are nightmarishly bad; handlebars are uncomfortable; crank tread (distance across the bike from one crank to the next) is ridiculously wide, wider than any real bike; and the crank length is either absurdly short or absurdly long.
Look at the new smart bikes. Wahoo/Stages/Tacx. Really good bikes that take "outdoor" parts - swap out for your saddle, maybe not your handlebars though, adjustable cranks.
The Wahoo bike has a Q factor of 150mm, my bike is 144mm

Those holes are 165mm, 167.5mm, 170, 172.5, and 175mm crank lengths

so maybe they are $3000...

Old 04-16-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

I have never been on an exercise bike that allowed a proper position; the pedals are always garbage (like if they even have toe straps they work upside down); saddles are nightmarishly bad; handlebars are uncomfortable; crank tread (distance across the bike from one crank to the next) is ridiculously wide, wider than any real bike; and the crank length is either absurdly short or absurdly long. Forget about it. Just put your regular bike, with your good dialed-in position and the bars, pedals, saddle you prefer, on the resistance stand. Use a music stand with a bungee cord to hold a book open, and you're good to go.

But what do I know? I've only been using this kind of setup since 1982.

Alternatively, buy a track bike and learn how to ride rollers....

I don't have a road bike

Old 04-16-2020, 11:51 PM

49 posts, read 35,471 times
You can try this folding bikes Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike or Marcy NS-652 Foldable and Portable Exercise Bike.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertina Geller View Post
You can try this folding bikes Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike or Marcy NS-652 Foldable and Portable Exercise Bike.

Awesome, thanks!

Right now parking in front of the TV and just pedaling into total exhaustion is a coping strategy.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:58 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Currently Proform is offering up a studio bike for free with a 3yr membership. So basically - you pay for the bike over 3 years. Might look and see if that is something you might be interested in. https://www.proform.com/exercise-bik...m_content=Bike

Old 05-04-2020, 05:33 PM

157 posts, read 854,713 times
BladeZ U210 on craigslist in Orlando. Looks decent. https://orlando.craigslist.org/spo/d...118299530.html

Old 05-04-2020, 11:46 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,591 times
If you want to go REALLY cheap, portable and very lightweight, I just use this. Costs 20 bucks, maybe 30 bucks. Do it while sitting on your own couch or any chair you want. Don't have to worry about seat padding issues.

Can also put it on any table top and work out your arms. Weighs maybe 8 lbs. Talk about taking up no space! Google "exercise bike pedals"

(my image didn't show up in this post, but here's a link to a picture of it)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness