Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

Is it crazy to buy a Shuffle in 2016? I see people strap a heavy iPhone to their arm while running on the treadmill. I think it is overkill. The other issue is I don't have any of my iTunes collection on my iPhone for all sorts of reasons. Even though the current Shuffle came out with the iPhone 4 it seems to me it still does the job. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 09:19 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Phones arent heavy. I have an iPhone 6 Plus inside of an Otterbox Defender and although its big, its not too big to hold while running. Its pretty far from "overkill".

I guess if you just want to listen to your music while running a Shuffle would be fine. But I like to use workout apps like Nike+ Running, Workout Hero and Seconds Pro apps for my workouts. Shuffle cant use those.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Phones arent heavy. I have an iPhone 6 Plus inside of an Otterbox Defender and although its big, its not too big to hold while running. Its pretty far from "overkill".

I guess if you just want to listen to your music while running a Shuffle would be fine. But I like to use workout apps like Nike+ Running, Workout Hero and Seconds Pro apps for my workouts. Shuffle cant use those.
Agree on apps etc. The Nano can do those but at $150 is a bit pricey. Shuffle has limited navigation capability but I am not sure how much I can fiddle with it while I am running anyway. Then there is that fitbit gadget vying for your money.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:41 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
I have an iPod nano. I have had it for quite some time but I love it for working out since it is still fairly small. My armband is not overwhelming. The shuffle is limited in its uses but still I think is a good choice because of its size.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
I also use the iPod shuttle and i like it. Just pick your fav songs and workout, dude!

It's small and does not get in the way. I put the earbud strings inside my workout shirt.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:55 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
I think you need to decide how tech-y you want to get with the fitness gadgets.

$150 for a Nano, or $100-$200 for a Fitbit might be pricey, but IMO, it's better to spend $150 on something you REALLY want, than $50 on a Shuffle that you're meh about. $50 isn't really chump change either.

Personally, I have come to a point where I feel like all the tracking and logging is useless data overload. Having said that, I have both a Shuffle and the Nano. Only because all I ever get for Christmas, birthdays and anniversaries is running gear. Otherwise, I wouldn't have purchased them for myself.

I use the Nike+ app on the Nano every once in a while for kicks. But it's not absolutely necessary for me. I have a cheapo $19 Casio running watch that records splits. Most of the time, as far as speed is concerned, I like to just run by feel, and what my watch is telling me. For distance, I don't really need an app or pedometer function telling me how far I've gone, because I have a list of pre mapped out routes and I know exactly how many miles I'm covering in a session, and I know mile markers by landmarks. So, if you're like me, a Shuffle should suffice. It's super unobtrusive and you can clip it on the edge of a pocket or to a ball cap. I drop the wires down my back. You can't view a playlist on a Shuffle, and as far as navigation goes, you can only skip forwards or backwards for songs...so you kind of have to remember your playlist in your head. Of course, if you listen to long podcasts, you won't need to skip at all, or very rarely.

HOWEVER, like I said, if you plan on going tech and app happy, I'd use the $50 you'd spend on a Shuffle and put it towards the Nano or Fitbit or whatever else you have your eye on.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:06 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,665 times
I use my shuffle for working out specifically because it's small. Just bought a new one on amazon on Friday. Some of us dinosaurs still use them.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:18 PM

Thanks all, I picked up a Shuffle tonight. I'll see how it works out. I am going to get an armband too. Not necessary but cool. I too am not sold on logging and tracking either. Most of my running is on a treadmill so I know what I am doing. May be there is a fitbit in my future but not now.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Thanks all, I picked up a Shuffle tonight. I'll see how it works out. I am going to get an armband too. Not necessary but cool. I too am not sold on logging and tracking either. Most of my running is on a treadmill so I know what I am doing. May be there is a fitbit in my future but not now.
Too late since you already bought the Shuffle (though you could return it, maybe), but if you're doing mostly treadmill running, the best setup IMO is Phone, Spotify premium ($10/month) and wireless headphones ( Amazon.com: COULAX QY8 [Updated QY7]Bluetooth Headphones Bluetooth V4.1 Wireless Stereo Sports Headset In-Ear Sweatproof Running Earbuds with Mic/APT-X for iPhone 6s Plus Samsung Galaxy S6 S5 and Android: Cell Phones & Accessories ).

Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 AM

714 posts, read 747,845 times
I use a nano- it's tiny, light, and isn't a distraction. Also easy to plug into my car's stereo when I'm done with my workout. I like to be able to switch between playlists as I listen to different stuff for cardio than I do for lifting.

I never take my phone into the gym, so the nano is perfect (it's better than the phone for this purpose either way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness