Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:03 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
34" must have a been a typo. Her measurements are listed as 38/29/45. Those are great measurements for a nearly 5'10" woman.
Ford Models Ashley Graham :Height 5' 9.5" Bust 38 D Waist 29.5 Hips 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I always admired Cheryl Tiegs, but I was disappointed that she felt compelled to complain about Ashley Graham. Ashley G. actually has a 29 inch waist, not a 35 inch waist. What Cheryl said about 35 inch waist and health issues is true, but she was wrong to say what she did say about Ashley G. without the facts.
LOL. If you guys think her waist is actually anywhere even close to 29", I have some land to sell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgXHAqYxnPw

It's sports, not health. A lot of guys like a girls body to have curve, and curvy women admire her. Cheryl can have her opinion but at the end of the day it's just an opinion. Plastic surgery is dangerous so she's not exactly practicing a healthy lifestyle herself. What ever floats whoevers boat. I doubt the mag would put something on the cover that wouldn't make them $$$. Bottom line.
I've always been thin, and I have wished several times in my life to have such a bod.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,570 times
Ah, in that video she says she is size 14. Lane Bryant's size chart lists size 14 as a 34" waist. She may be an inch bigger or smaller, but if she were much larger or smaller, she'd be in a different size. So assuming her waist is 34", she's below the dreaded 35" that Cheryl Tiegs is so "concerned" about, and also would fall right below being classified as "obese" (if you take some of the online calculators seriously).

Looking at her in that video, she seems like a biggish girl, but not grotesquely obese and ready to keel over any second due to her horrific fattitude. Like I said before, if nobody ever got any bigger than she is, we'd have a lot fewer problems! LOL! All this hand-wringing about her is more about hating the fatties rather than deep concern over her health.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 AM

19,629 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post

If she never got any bigger than she is right now, I don't think she'd be so out of control. In fact, if every person who was overweight never got any bigger than her, then we should all be so lucky! She's really not that fat.

I think a lot of this hand-wringing over her supposed terrible obesity and how it "sends a message" is just because, as a previous poster said, some people don't want to see a fatty. They don't give a rat's patootie about her health, they just pay lipservice to talking about health. The truth is, they're used to a world where it was acceptable to vilify fatties. Now that it has become politically incorrect to flatly state how much they hate the fatties, they fall back on, "But what about health?"
I don't think that is true. If a fat person is not on the cover of a sports magazine in a swimsuit, that is not vilifying them. I would not expect an average sized person to be a cover model either. Does that mean people hate average sized people...

OK, so she is not THAT fat, but she is model. Regular people see her as an ideal, so they can feel ok about being even bigger, and most people over a certain bmi don't even have a waist, which is really dangerous medically.

Health really is an issue when it comes to being overweight, even ten pounds can made a difference. Eventually it catches up with most people who are overweight. If you are saying it's ok for a young person, what about in ten years, are they supposed to start healthy habits then rather than now? Not so easy, especially when your body is being glamourized then you learn that it is turning against you and all of a sudden you have to made efforts to change it or face health consequences.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't think that is true. If a fat person is not on the cover of a sports magazine in a swimsuit, that is not vilifying them. I would not expect an average sized person to be a cover model either. Does that mean people hate average sized people...

OK, so she is not THAT fat, but she is model. Regular people see her as an ideal, so they can feel ok about being even bigger, and most people over a certain bmi don't even have a waist, which is really dangerous medically.

Health really is an issue when it comes to being overweight, even ten pounds can made a difference. Eventually it catches up with most people who are overweight. If you are saying it's ok for a young person, what about in ten years, are they supposed to start healthy habits then rather than now? Not so easy, especially when your body is being glamourized then you learn that it is turning against you and all of a sudden you have to made efforts to change it or face health consequences.
Well I do hope no mags or tv shows promote drinking then....that's a HUGE problem in America and abroad.

If we whittle down everything we do that is unhealthy we won't have anything. "She's eating an orange, is it full of rocket fuel?" "Is that glass of milk organic?" "Do they use toothpaste with fluoride?" I think fat is just the trend cut down right now. You can thank Mrs. Obama for the right to bash the overweight. Who knows what it will be in the next decade.

She'll most likely die in an accident and not from her weight, most people do. No worries, I think other people know better, just like you do, that you should try and keep your weight down. That magazine cover won't kill anyone. Way to rain on her parade though, shame on Cheryl. She's had enough controversy in her own life to know how bad that makes you feel.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

You've failed to address the unhealthy habits of the hundreds of rail thin models that are often touted as the ideal. Many of them practice extremely unhealthy dietary habits to remain within a certain standard and it's unrealistic and unhealthy. But you didn't mention that. Interesting...

Old 02-29-2016, 09:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgXHAqYxnPw

It's sports, not health. A lot of guys like a girls body to have curve, and curvy women admire her. Cheryl can have her opinion but at the end of the day it's just an opinion. Plastic surgery is dangerous so she's not exactly practicing a healthy lifestyle herself. What ever floats whoevers boat. I doubt the mag would put something on the cover that wouldn't make them $$$. Bottom line.
I've always been thin, and I have wished several times in my life to have such a bod.
Pretty face and impressive breasts but they avoided as much as possible showing her lower portions in that video. Because we would all gag unless you had a fatty fetish.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
I read through a couple pages of this thread and most are vilifying Tiegs, which surprises me. Obesity is a major issue in the US, so much so that the first lady has made it a priority of hers to combat. Yet at the same time, we say that a size 14 woman is healthy?

Strange. Size 14 isn't a healthy weight. It takes a high body fat percentage to be a size 14, and that means that there is quite a bit of fat coating your internal organs, which promotes heart disease and other health issues. It is also usually indicative of an unhealthy diet because healthy food isn't really calorie-dense enough to be that big without eating enormous amounts of it.

Sure- being rail thin isn't healthy if you have to do unhealthy things to get to that size, but neither is the other extreme. The woman on the cover of SI was overweight. Period.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I read through a couple pages of this thread and most are vilifying Tiegs, which surprises me. Obesity is a major issue in the US, so much so that the first lady has made it a priority of hers to combat. Yet at the same time, we say that a size 14 woman is healthy?

Strange. Size 14 isn't a healthy weight. It takes a high body fat percentage to be a size 14, and that means that there is quite a bit of fat coating your internal organs, which promotes heart disease and other health issues. It is also usually indicative of an unhealthy diet because healthy food isn't really calorie-dense enough to be that big without eating enormous amounts of it.

Sure- being rail thin isn't healthy if you have to do unhealthy things to get to that size, but neither is the other extreme. The woman on the cover of SI was overweight. Period.
I already thanked Mrs. Obama for the the current fat bashing trend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bREsa9nVUMo
Obama can't quit smoking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uOz5VYnLXU
Daughter plays beer pong and she's only in high school, at 17, both illegal and unhealthy.

She should keep busy taking care of her families unhealthy habits and leave others alone. IMO, of course. Her fight on unhealthy eating habits shouldn't excuse being rude to the overweight.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:51 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Third, she's not sloppy. Her skin is taut; no visible cellulite.
That's Photoshop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness