Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:37 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times

Advertisements

What is up with that? I start walking and my ankles hurt so bad I have to stop and stretch them.

The incline is only on 2 and I have even taken the incline down to 0, but they still hurt.

Is it the way I am walking or am I doing something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 01:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
If it was running, I'd be more concerned about your shoes, but provided you're not walking in something crazy (high heels, flip flops, etc.), I don't know. If it's a big increase to the amount of walking you're doing overall, maybe dial that back and see what happens, but other than that, I'm out of ideas. Maybe look into getting some good shoes and google ankle-strengthening exercises.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
This is sort of why I prefer ellipticals. Could it also be related to the type of shoes you are wearing?

Old 03-04-2016, 02:11 PM

I`m not sure if its the shoes because I can start out and the ankles will feel like they are going to fall off they hurt, so I will stop for about 10 min. and stretch them, then go back and try again. I can go for awhile, then it does it again. I stop. Stretch. Then go back and they seem to be ok after that. Aggravating!

Old 03-04-2016, 02:28 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
There are articles on the net about the repetitive injuries sustained from treadmills. It's not normal, human walking/jogging...it is the same, exact surface over and over and over again and therefore, not what the body was made for moving on: earth, with all it's lumps/bumps/etc. Even sidewalks and tracks are surfaces that more closely replicate earth. And there are articles too, about the cushioning (or lack thereof) of treadmills (particularly the cheap ones).

I had one for a while too. A well regarded one with plenty of cushioning. I finally sold it. I'm sorry you're hurting. I suspect it may be the machine. I know that lifting free weight (dumbbells) has done wonders for me over what the gym machines did, and I feel it's the difference of movement that engages and strengthens fine muscles as opposed to super focused movement of a particular set of muscles. I think walking on natural (or more natural) surfaces is healthier, like lifting dumbbells without a machine that constricts that movement.

Some will disagree.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:36 PM

Someone suggested walking without the shoes on, just socks! I am going to try that tomorrow! Thanks!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
I don't think going shoe-less on a treadmill is going to help. If anything, that's just going to exacerbate your issue.

My gut instinct is that you have tight/stiff calf muscles and you need to work on your flexibility in that area. Tight muscles in one part of your leg can cause problems/pain in another part because the tightness in a given area can cause you to overcompensate on another part. For example, I have a very tight right hamstring and if I don't regularly foam roll, I'll start having issues with my left knee.

Don't stretch cold muscles. Warm up first, then stretch your calf muscles. After you're done with your workout, stretch them again.

Also, the motion of a treadmill causes some people to tense up and/or walk/run with an unnatural gait...that can cause pain/muscle issues as well.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:36 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I have better luck using a rebounder with the bar and barefoot.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:37 AM

645 posts, read 750,767 times
do not go shoe less! you will not only make your ankle worse but possibly damage your feet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Someone suggested walking without the shoes on, just socks! I am going to try that tomorrow! Thanks!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:22 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
What is up with that? I start walking and my ankles hurt so bad I have to stop and stretch them.

The incline is only on 2 and I have even taken the incline down to 0, but they still hurt.

Is it the way I am walking or am I doing something wrong.

Have someone check your form to be sure you are hitting the belt with the heel of your front foot and pushing off with the ball of your back foot. My trainer told me many make a common mistake of hitting the belt flat footed and it can cause problems for the ankle and knees.

Also, try doing some balance exercises on a rocker board. I had very weak ankles two months ago when I first started at my gym and could only manage to maintain my balance on a rocker board for 12 seconds. Within 5 weeks I was up to 9 minutes! I see a very noticeable improvement in the strength of the muscles in my lower legs and ankles.

I now look forward to using all sorts of balance equipment because it is fun and very easy to see weekly improvement - I can't yet maintain my balance with my eyes closed, but, I may get there one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness