Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:41 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times

Advertisements

Yep. I "help" people see when they've left their bar loaded, especially when they take the collars with them to their next exercise. I "help" the gym staff realize that not a single one of the people in the gym at 5am (hardcore lifters) wants to listen to 45 minutes of One Direction. I "help" the old guys sitting naked on the bench realize that they are gross and need to put a towel down. I "help" that one guy that likes to drop his fully loaded barbell from chest height onto the squat rack cross bars realize that what he's doing could seriously injure someone. I "help" the cardio queens realize that the three weight machines next to their ellipticals is not the best place to store their jackets and purses. I "help" that one guy with the hip hop blasting from his portable Bluetooth speaker realize that nobody appreciates that. EVER.

Just kidding, I don't say anything about any of those things. I just bury my intense annoyance toward inconsiderate people deep down in my stomach. Hopefully it doesn't kill me one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
True. So many variations to a given movment. Although there are certain fixed rules. As in No rounding your back on a DL. Or is there? But heck when you are tired and this is Rep X+1 than previous you might round your back although you do not want to. I do not want to trigger the "Helper" buzzer.

You will find a whole cadre of dead lifters (including competitive lifters) who believe in rounding the back when doing deadlifts, so this definitely is not a fixed rule. Some of the heaviest competition loads are done with rounded backs.

Rules always depend on the particular person and what his or her goals are. Some strength training routines that are specific to a particular sport might look incredibly stupid to someone who doesn't know about the sport that person is training for.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:00 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
Only when I see terrible, terrible form such as when someone is doing dumbbell curls and putting their whole body into motion in order to complete their rep. Many times they don't realize it till you do tell them lol.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:53 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Only when I see terrible, terrible form such as when someone is doing dumbbell curls and putting their whole body into motion in order to complete their rep. Many times they don't realize it till you do tell them lol.

You should keep your mouth shut because this is not necessarily wrong. There are several reasons that someone might do this so it's really none of your business

Old 03-11-2016, 09:14 AM

201 posts, read 279,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Last night when I was doing cross body bicep curls, I had this young fella come up to me and tell me to "keep my elbows in place!" I wasn't doing standard bicep curls, I was doing more of a cross body type thing, and I was still trying my best to keep my elbows in place as much as the move allows. Anyway, I was nice and just kind of played along. When I told him what I was doing, he was like, "Oh, well just when you come up with the weights, just go up to your chest and stop!") Again, it wasn't really how the rep was supposed to work, and I honestly felt absolutely nothing when I tried it his way. I had a trainer show me this years ago, so I knew I was doing it correctly. But, I kept my mouth shut. This kid (he looked to still be in high school), was skinny, maybe athletic, but he didn't really have any muscle tone to speak of. It was a little annoying to say the least. I noticed that he was giving out workout advice to another guy (a regular) in the gym as well. Again, I don't fault him for wanting to help people - it's mighty nice of him. But, I'm not completely clueless on exercise variations. I do have a minor in fitness tech and I was heading into personal training, myself, at one time in my life.

Anyway, do any of you ever have experience with these little "gym helpers" that come up to you and tell you you're doing something wrong? Don't get me wrong. I am always open for workout advice, especially if it's good advice and helps me to see better results. Who knows? Maybe it's me? I'll admit that as a 40 year old guy who has had experience in the gym, it's kind of an ego thing. If a 17 year old kid is telling me I'm doing something wrong, I'm probably more likely to not listen to him. As opposed to someone who's closer to my age, or at least looks like they have the results from their advice.
Why didn't you just be honest with him about your background and tell him that you were doing it right?

Old 03-11-2016, 10:14 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,630,321 times
30 years of exercising has taught me to keep to myself and mind my own business

Old 03-11-2016, 02:07 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Why didn't you just be honest with him about your background and tell him that you were doing it right?
Why waste my time? Much quicker to say, "OK Thanks" and move on than to stand there telling him my educational background.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Honestly though, if one feels the need to "instruct" others at the gym, why don't they just get certified and start getting paid to train others? If I have time to show others how to workout, then I have way too much time on my hands.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:09 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
I got a little "free coaching" tonight while doing cable flys. He was ~late 50s, pot bellied, small chest and skinny arms. The guy was nice enough but like we've been saying: Don't assume you know why someone is doing something a certain way. I do a couple different angles on the cables then do DBs flat and standing. The guy told me I should lower the position of the cables so I could do them "this way" and then showed me what it would look like. I told him I do DBs for that position and asked if he wanted to try it in the higher position. He started asking some questions about why I do the different positions and what muscle groups I combine. Then he admitted he recently started working out again after 4 years away from the gym! I think if you've only recently resumed working out after 4 years and you know this about yourself maybe you'd best keep your "advice" to yourself. If you have questions, ask away! If you think someone needs your advice...they don't.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:29 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
The AnyTime Fitness I go to seems to only have snobs for members. So this is not an issue. When some one offers advice anywhere in life. I think it is a good thing. No one interacts anymore and its alarming. I would not be annoyed by anyone offering advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness